OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which one of these three...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzspearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which one of these three...
    Posted: March/13/2008 at 08:01
Hi Guys

Thanks for the input recently confirming an IOR as my likely purhcase. One last opportunity for your comments on choosing between these three scope - I'm looking at all of them at the moment and they will all set me back the same ball-park amount:

IOR 2.5-10x42 Hunting, 4a reticle, second hand but in new condition
Meopta Meostar 3-10x50, plex, new
Zeiss conquest 3-9x50, plex, new

I'm still leaning toward the IOR (even though I already have some optilocks that would fit the 1" zeiss tube).

Cheers

<><...<><...<><...<><... <><...<><...
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 09:52
I have never had the pleasure to look thru the others, so I pick Zeiss I like mine..
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 09:58
I have some IOR scopes and one Meopta scope and love all of them, optically the IOR and Meopta look really close to my eye.  Any one of those would be a great scope.  If it were me and I already had 1 inch rings I would go with the Zeiss so it will save you a bit more cash.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 10:05
If the IOR is a deal, get it, good glass, pretty good scope.  That'd be my first choice.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cccombo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 10:06
Id get the 3-9x40 Conquest

btw what type of fish do you shoot in NZ?
"In politics shared hatreds are almost always the basis of friendships."  --  Alexis de Tocqueville
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 10:17
Of the three the Meopta and IOR, although having great glass, if I`m not mistaken, are heavier with the Meopta having the least amount of eye relief distance! If you are shooting a real heavy kicker, I`d go with the Zeiss and save some extra dollars because you already have the 1" rings!........Heavy kicker or not, I`d go Zeiss anyway! Keep it lighter! 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 10:22
If you have a true need for the 4a reticle, I'd go with that....... otherwise I'd go with the Zeiss.
take em!
nzspearo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzspearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 10:52

Thanks for the comments - but either I'm reading the wrong info or the zeiss comparison is a little off?

Eye relief (Zeiss 3.34, IOR 3.5, Meopta 3.1) - not a huge issue on a 270/280, but IOR wins - just.
Weight (Zeiss 17.28, IOR 17, Meopta 21) - so yeahthe Meopta stands out as a bit chunky.

One noticable difference is the overall length (Zeiss 12.36, IOR 13.5, Meopta 13) - what effect will this have on mounting position on a long action sako?

cheers

btw - spearing in NZ is quite varied - I shoot a lot of kingis, snapper and some smaller reef fish which are great eating! Some guys are targeting the striped marlin and huge bluefin tuna recently.
<><...<><...<><...<><... <><...<><...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 10:58
~
If you put a 1 piece picatinny style base then mounting position will not play much of an issue.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 12:18
I'm sure all of the central tubes of those scopes will more than clear your Sako action length. With the eye relief of those three models, everything should just "bolt on"!  You shouldn't need any fore and aft adjustment, although you will have some, I believe, if you need it.      --Ed                         
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 18:21
I don't have one in front of me, but I bet the Zeiss is closer to 3.5" and compared to the others, it might seem like even more.  By this I mean I'm not sure they all measure from the same point!
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 07:28
All I know is you never hear of an un-happy Conquest owner.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 15:15
+1 what trigger29 said. I like my Conquest. I don't have either of the other two, but I have read good things about them. However I'm a cheapskate and if you can get a good deal on the IOR and it fits your need; go with the IOR. Rings are cheap, and besides it sounds like you really want the IOR. Better to have what you want than to want what you don't have (or something like that).Bounce
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 16:15
IOR VALDADA
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic