OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me decide, limited budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeerHuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me decide, limited budget
    Posted: March/12/2008 at 21:57
Hey guys, got it narrowed down to a Nikon Buckmaster, Burris FFII, or a Bushnell elite 3200.  I would like something like a 3.5-10 or 4-14 and prefer the largest diameter objective I can get for light gathering. Scope will be mounted on a Browning Eclipse 270WSM and will be used for deer hunting so low light performance is important, might go prarie doggin with it as well and of course it will spend some time at the range. Some sort of ballistic recticle would be nice but isn't a must. Give me you reccomendation's even if they aren't listed. Thanks in advance.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 02:59
Budget?
littlevineyard1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 06:13
hello deerhunter, when deciding which scope to buy can be confusing with all the options available. the one thing i like to do is side by side comparisons. if possible take some time and visit shops and take your choices and look through them all. check out the weight, ability to focus ,clarity adjustability and so on. if possible to do this you will mosyt likely find one that just jumps out at you and you will most likely be very pleased with your purchase.
    i just spent last saturday visiting the local gunshops in my area,which i found enjoyable and found i like a nikon 1.5-4.5 with a 20mm tube to my liking and then purchased one through swfa but i looked through many different brands and styles. now when i go hunting i won't be wondering if i made the right choice
    all the scopes on your list would probably perform fine service for you as they are all similar in quality and price. take a peep through them all and pick the one you are most comfortable with
littlevineyard1
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 07:28
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Budget?
What is your upper budget limit?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 10:27
what lvy1 said!
take em!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 11:39
On a tight budget I would look at the 3-9x40 Nikon Team Primos. It is the same as last years 3-9 Monarch with a BDC. @ $200 it is a steal and the glass is better than 3200, FFII and Buckmaster.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 12:02
Sightron S1 mil dot 3-9x40
Bushnell 4200 4-16x42 if  you can afford it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DeerHuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeerHuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 19:43
About $300 is my budget
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 19:48
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40
Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40
Sightron S2 3-9x42
Mueller Tac II 3-10x44

Roughly, in that order.

ILya

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 19:53

Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40
Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40
Sightron S2 3-9x42
Mueller Tac II 3-10x44

Roughly, in that order.

ILya

I agree, if the Nikon had a plex it would be closer. The Nikons have very good glass............tilde
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 20:41
I'd go with Nikon. I have two Monarchs and a Buckmaster. They have all been excellent scopes. Great glass at a reasonable price!
DeerHuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeerHuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 20:59
How would this one compae to the Elite and the Primos
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 00:22
I will say that with better glass you don't need as much magnifaction as you might think
something I have learned over the years
gone from 3-9s, 4-12s, 4.5-14, 3-12, etc.. and am now using 3-10 but in better scopes
if this isn't something you HAVE to have scoped right away, save your money a while and spend some more...
DeerHuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeerHuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 00:30
Ok guys, narrowed it down to a different 3 using all your input

The 4-12 X40 Monarch UCC has the power range I would like, the Elite sounds like it's quality is far above it's price point wich is very attractive, The Nikon Primos is last years Monarch and has the BDC. Will the glass on both Nikon's be equal to each other or will one be better????? I am not sure that i like the BDC, seems cluttered looking with the rings for yardage vs what everyone else is using for drop compensation. Is the 4200 far superior to the Nikon's optically or are they very comparable????? Guess right now I'm leaning toward the 4-12 X 40 Monarch and the 4200, price wise they will be damn near identical cause there are quite a few 3-9 x 40 ELITE 4200 on ebay for around $250 shipped. I'm on the fence and need a few of you to give me a push, thanks allot and hope to be ordering tomorrow nite!!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 03:05
The 4-12x40 Nikon you are referring to is also a previous generation model, so its glass is the same quality as the Primos.  I would makes sure that the 4-12x40 was in stock.

Personally, of these choices, I would still go with the Elite 4200.

ILya
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 09:14
I had the 4-12 monarch and the newer 3-12 monarch
no real difference in optic quaility
I didn't like the BDC reticle in the field trying to take a shot "between the circles"

If you can find a clean used 4-12 for around 250, it's a good scope

if you read my post last night about scope tests, yes, the $1000 scopes are better, but not "oh my god!" better
if you look around you can get the 3-12 new monarch for around 320
I wouldn't mind having another one with the standard reticle
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 10:50
I don't like the BDC either........ I would recommend you go to a store and look thru your other 2 choices and pick the one that you like best!  They are close enough in quality that I won't matter which one you pick.  If you hunt in rainy conditions much, Raingaurd would give the edge to the 4200.

Remember to just look at the store and then come back to SWFA and order from them!

Edited by Tip69 - March/14/2008 at 10:51
take em!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 10:54

Personally, of these choices, I would still go with the Elite 4200.

ILya

I agree.
The glass on the 3-9 4200 and Team Primos are very close. I like the reticle choice with the 4200 and it has Rainguard. Since you have $300 to spend, it is worth it.
DeerHuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeerHuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 19:21
Thanks all, Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 is on the way!!!! Looked through one tonite and it's optical quality is undeniable, in th store I thought it was crisper then even a Zeiss Conquest!!! Think my eyes might be playin tricks on me!!!!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 21:13
awesome, you will have a scope you will really love for years to come
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic