OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3 x 9 or 4.5 x 14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 x 9 or 4.5 x 14
    Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:06
I recently bought a Zeiss Conquest 3 x 9 for my Steyr Pro Hunter .308.  I have yet to mount it and have almost talked myself into trading it in for a 4.5 x 14.  I have never had anything but a 3 x 9.  I hunt mostly whitetail deer in the Southeast.  Most of my shots are under 300 yards.  However, I'm thinking that if I can afford it, why not upgrade.  Any thoughts?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:22
I don't look at 4.5-14x as an upgrade over 3-9X for deer hunting.  It's not the upper end magnification that I view as the problem, even though 14X is way more magnification than you will ever need for deer hunting.  I want no more than 4X on the low end for times when I'm hunting thick cover in order to maximize field of view.  In fact, I would rather have 1.5X, 2X or 2.5x on the low end, but 3X is fine.  I'd stick with the 3-9X.  To my way of thinking,  1.5-6X, 2-7X, 3-9X, and 2.5-10X cover the ideal magnification ranges for any and all deer hunting anywhere, with the first 2 for typical "woods" hunting, the second 2 for more open country.

Edited by RifleDude - March/12/2008 at 10:23
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:26
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I don't look at 4.5-14x as an upgrade over 3-9X for deer hunting.  It's not the upper end magnification that I view as the problem, even though 14X is way more magnification than you will ever need for deer hunting.  I want no more than 4X on the low end for times when I'm hunting thick cover in order to maximize field of view.  In fact, I would rather have 1.5X, 2X or 2.5x on the low end, but 3X is fine.  I'd stick with the 3-9X.  To my way of thinking,  1.5-6X, 2-7X, 3-9X, and 2.5-10X cover the ideal magnification ranges for any and all deer hunting anywhere, with the first 2 for typical "woods" hunting, the second 2 for more open country.

As usual, Ted is spot on. A high quality 1.5-6X, 2-7X, 3-9X, or 2.5-10X will cover any deer hunting situation I can think of. It is far better to skew toward the low end than high.
klbell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:30
Thanks for the input.  I was thinking in low light at 250 yards the extra magnification would help in deciding whether or not I'm looking at a shooter.  I have passed on big deer late because I can't count the points or measure the spread (club rules).
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:33
Your Zeiss will give you very good contrast and resolution for your shots. You should have no problems seeing small obstructions or the beasts head gear.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:39
Originally posted by klbell klbell wrote:

Thanks for the input.  I was thinking in low light at 250 yards the extra magnification would help in deciding whether or not I'm looking at a shooter.  I have passed on big deer late because I can't count the points or measure the spread (club rules).

In truly low light to such a degree that your existing Conquest becomes useless, you usually won't even be able to discern your target well enough at 250 yards to make an ethical shot anyway.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:55

I recently bought a Zeiss Conquest 3 x 9 for my Steyr Pro Hunter .308.  I have yet to mount it and have almost talked myself into trading it in for a 4.5 x 14.  I have never had anything but a 3 x 9.  I hunt mostly whitetail deer in the Southeast.  Most of my shots are under 300 yards.  However, I'm thinking that if I can afford it, why not upgrade.  Any thoughts?
.................................................All shots at under 300 yards? Upgrade? Stick with the 3x9!!!.................A 4.5x14 power is for long range open plains hunting and/or long range target/varmit shooting. Even users of such powers when hunting, almost never go above 6x to 8x anyway! Your .308 is not what I would call, a flat shooting 400-500 yard or greater deer hunting cartridge. It`s no 257 Wby. or 7mm mag. Also, for closer shots, should they present themselves, the 4.5x on the low end reduces your FOV. Therefore, a 4.5x14 powered variable on your .308 for your use, would be over-scoping that rifle! 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 11:11

For the money you have one of the best damn scopes on the market.  If you have the 40mm version and then would go to the 50mm version there may be a some smaller low light benefits.  Simply changing the magnification would not get you what you want. 

If you were huntin' over the plains maybe.  I don't see the 4.5-14 being usefull until you are varmit or plains shooting.  If shooting a lot at a distance over 400 yards then,  it start to be more pratical in terms of field of view.

The thing to remember is that scope makers sell a lot of scopes.  The key word is sell.  Selling is not a bad thing, it helps me make a living.  They carve out a niche and then try and fill it for you.  We see a lot people get free hunts ect to tell you how great that product is and how they did not know they needed it before.  Some of that is very true. Some of it is pure bs.

I make out a mission statment before I buy equiptment.  That way I stay focused on what I buy.  It helps avoid deals I don't need and "franken guns".
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 11:32
good points, silver - ted is dead on the money.

3x9 is all need.

good luck.

J
klbell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 11:54

Thanks for the replies.  It is a 50mm.

My old scope is an early 90s Leupold Vari X-III that is 3.5 x 10.

Do you think the new Zeiss 3 x 9 is a step up?
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 12:09
Last year I bought a 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest after recommendations from the good people on this board. Two deer have been killed with it so far. The first was at daylight a good 175 yard shot. The second was a real nice 150 plus buck at the last legal shooting time at 150yds. The ZEISS CONQUEST made this possible. I agree with the rest its all you will need for what you want........
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 12:12
now THAT's a good testimonial, medic!!

J
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 12:21

I have the 50mm 3.5x10 VariX-III and the Zeiss is definitely a step up. I am comparing it to the 40mm Zeiss, though.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 12:26
Keep the 3-9 and save the money you were going to use on the "upgrade" to 4.5-14 and upgrade to a nice set of Bino's.   Bino's are much better suited for counting points and seeing more detail than scopes.
take em!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 16:54

uhh............yes!!  You're now up the entire flight of stairs!  Big%20Grin   
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 18:32
Stick with a 3-9x.  If it gets too dark for that scope tow work, seeing the deer is going to be the least of your problems.  It'll be so dark, you'll have a hard time making out where your feet are.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic