OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Favorite Animal to Hunt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What is your favorite animal to hunt?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [32.26%]
7 [22.58%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.23%]
1 [3.23%]
1 [3.23%]
10 [32.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Animal to Hunt?
    Posted: March/11/2008 at 23:27
I am curious to see what this poll will show.  I have my guess as to which it will be, but I could be wrong.

My favorite is elk by far.  The challenge of hunting those big bulls and smart old cows is so amazing.  Second would have to be deer because of hunting with fam and friends.  Then coyotes and pds.  For just pure fun, there is nothing better than wasting a few varmints.
What is your favorite, and why?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 23:36
I voted for elk, although my favorite probably is dove.  Not that it is really hunting.  It's more of sitting on a lawn chair, waiting for them to fly over.  It's more of shooting, rather than hunting.  I load my own 12 gauge shells, and I can go through plenty during dove season. 
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 07:07
I picked bear. I have only been once here in MD ( season just started recently and is a lottery ) and twice in Canada. It's a real thrill hunting them. In Canada it was over bait, and in between loooong waits to see one, it could get real exciting when a bear did show up just 30 yds way. In MD baiting isn't permitted , and it's spot and stalk or stand hunting. It gets your heart pumping when you turn a corner in a trail and 25 feet away there's one that is just as nervous for a second as you are. Fun
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 08:54
prairie dogs , a challenge to hit at a distance and the farm and ranchers are glad to get rid of them, next would be ground hogs both of them can make  range unusable for ranchers.

Duce Smile
Duce
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 09:23
I chose elk.  They are such majestic animals, and I love being in the beautiful country they inhabit.  I love the sound of a bugling bull, I love to see the fall color in the quakies, and elk is some of the best venison there is.  A VERY close second for me would be whitetail deer, since deer season is a tradition to hardcore hunters like me here in Texas.  I live for Fall, and the rest of the year is largely spent thinking about and planning for Fall hunting season.  After the season is over, I enjoy hunting feral hogs almost as much as deer hunting.

I also like zapping prairie dogs as much as Mr. Duce, but I don't exactly consider that "hunting."
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 09:27
Deer, here in Ga, the hunting is challenging both mentally and physically due to the terrain, and vegative cover. Throw in the multitude of food sources and you have so many variables to consider that it never is boring. My second would be a tie with bear, and hog.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 09:46
I don't see kudu on the list anywhere! For me, nothing beats the thrill when a truly big one steps out the bush. There is something magical about those long spiralling horns......Oh, sorry, I was daydreaming about that big one. Kudu are clever, have a good sense of smell and can hear the snick of a safety catch 5 miles away! A real challenge.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 12:53
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I don't see kudu on the list anywhere! For me, nothing beats the thrill when a truly big one steps out the bush. There is something magical about those long spiralling horns......Oh, sorry, I was daydreaming about that big one. Kudu are clever, have a good sense of smell and can hear the snick of a safety catch 5 miles away! A real challenge.

Some day I will get to africa and hunt some of those animals.  I have always wanted to.  I will have to go for a kudu for sure.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 14:12
Doves! fast and fun. Same with PD's.
Love hunting deer but hate draging them out. I enjoy the woods too much and always go in to deep. More often come out with only the memories of the big one that I watched.  
Never felt the house was large enough for the trophys.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 15:43
I like grouse and woodcock hunting. It's great when my German Wirehaired Pointer is working the thick stuff and locks up on point.
Next up is waterfowl, there is always excitement and my GWP likes to retrieve, too.
Then it's bear and deer, any kind. I just like being in the big woods with a high powered rifle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 16:21
 Elk, by far. Then wandering around on the praries after pronghorns. Then spot and stalk Western black bears. Then hickory hardwoods gray and fox squirrels.
 If my knees were any good, and I had a lot of money, I'd probably be a full-time sheep hunter, though. I'd love to hunt the big Argali and Marco Polo Sheep of Asia.
 Hey, I can dream, can't I?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 16:55
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Elk, by far. Then wandering around on the praries after pronghorns. Then spot and stalk Western black bears. Then hickory hardwoods gray and fox squirrels.
 If my knees were any good, and I had a lot of money, I'd probably be a full-time sheep hunter, though. I'd love to hunt the big Argali and Marco Polo Sheep of Asia.
 Hey, I can dream, can't I?

That's cool!!

Blacktail and Mulies out here. Pig hunting can be an adrenaline rush, I guess that would fall under "Other", but stalking deer is definitely my fav.

I'm dreaming an Elk hunt. I haven't had the pleasure yet but I'm sure it's a kick!!  Embarrased
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 17:08

spoiled I guess, have elk, mules, cougar, and bear in my back yard, and love bird hunting, but when the spring thaw finishes, Rocky mtn. marmots get my vote. hunt for 6 months in good weather all the way form the salmon river breaks to Telluride.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 17:39
Pheasant for me. 

My Dad and me spent many a quality hours and days kicking up roosters in SE Iowa when I was a kid.
Love the sound they make when they flush and the "clucking".
We had Weimaraners. Great times.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 17:50

We had a small and unstable population of pheasants on the farm I grew up on.
 On holidays, we'd get a group of friends and family together and walk down the corn rows, we had no dogs though.  We shot a lot of bunnies, and a few grouse in the fencerows, but a big ringneck rooster was a real prize trophy!
 Those were great times!  
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 18:01

always amazed how fast and far a pheasant could run-- maybe that's why they are unstable.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 19:32
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

spoiled I guess, have elk, mules, cougar, and bear in my back yard, and love bird hunting, but when the spring thaw finishes, Rocky mtn. marmots get my vote. hunt for 6 months in good weather all the way form the salmon river breaks to Telluride.

I am spoiled as well.  Two years ago I had tags for Elk(2), deer(5), antelope(3), black bear, mountain lion, upland game bird, and of course a fishing tag (never used it).  Don't need a tag for varmints and can't even count how many coyotes I shot.  Something over 50 that year.

Biggest rush I have ever had was elk hunting with a bow.  Nothing like being 20 yards from a screaming bull in full rut.  I just love elk hunting whether it is with a bow, or a rifle.  Deer I don't find much of a challenge, but I go out every year with my dad and brothers, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.  During the summer for fun, we go out for yotes, pds, gophers, and about any small varmint that dares to show its head.  Never have done much bird hunting.  Too busy with other things.  Might try turkeys.  I hear they are like hunting elk.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 21:13
Quail, Dove, Whitetail.  Wild Bobs take off like F-4s  FAST AND LOUD.  Doug I like German Shorthair Pointers there is nothing better than a good dog on point!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 00:01
One of my stronger hunting memories was when I was 7 or 8 following my dad down a path and a covey of Bobwhites coming up all around my feet. The sound of the thundering wings still play on my ears.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 14:26
( Other...)   

Ummm........I will have to tell you about the thrilling, heart-pounding night I sat in a "hide" and waited to get a shot at  the...the....dreaded TRADE RAT! Eek

Years ago my ex-wife and I lived on a ranch in Wyoming. Come fall we discovered that a trade rat had moved into the gas heater in the garage. Shocked Well, we were planning to light that thing to keep the garage heated and that MONSTER had pulled in about two bales of straw and some assorted screwdrivers and a couple of old coke cans into his LAIR!!!Devil  I had to get him!! It was up to ME!! Shocked  Oh, God!

I destroyed his lair several times! I yanked out all the hay and threw it outside! I reached in and retrieved all my tools ( and a pliers that I hadn't seen in six months..) But each evening at midnight he would COME BACK and PUT IT ALL BACK IN HIS HOLE!!
Oh, God! He was ruthless! He even took one of my wratchet wrenches with him this time!

He was sneaky! He was INVISIBLE! You could not ever see him! Besides, one glance from HIM and his glowing eyeballs and we could be turned to stone ---murdered in our beds!!! A saliva-dripping FIEND of the High Plains!! A thief and a blood thirsty killer!

Well, I hatched a plan! Thinking  I would actually SHOOT HIS A$$ with a twenty two!! But....there was a problem!!  I could not hit the gas lines with a bullet or we would ALL BE DEAD!! Skull%20Wink

So I got myself some EXPIDITER 22 ammo that kind of explodes and frags on impact...and I decided to use my wife's Browning 22 Auto ( a Grade II, no less!!) because the iron sights were very fine, like the head of a pin. Very accurate!!

Well, first I moved all the vehicles out the line of fire. SMART.  Then I set up a big cardboard box to hide behind--with a little chair for the long hours in the darkness of the jungle. And I waited---FOR HOURS!

Finally, ....I heard something!!! HE WAS COMING TO HIS LAIR!!!! DevilShocked  THERE HE WAS!!! Kinda walking fast---like a Rodent would do!! Oh, God!! Buck Fever!! The shakes! DON"T HIT THE GAS LINES!!!! I screamed to myself!!!  He ran inside to check his stuff. He stuck his fiendish head out of the heater for a split second....and I BLASTED HIS GUTS!!
Thank God, the bullet performed well, it never exited his body and we didn't die in any explosion!!

We went on to live happily ever after with heat in the garage!! Big%20Smile            --Ed ( Trade Rat Bwana)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic