OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Variable Power $650 Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Amend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 23:12
Originally posted by superstool73 superstool73 wrote:

I would go with the IOR, the MP8 blows away the mildot reticle.  

How so?

The IOR is a contender.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 23:23
They have half mil marks and multiple widths of the marks that can be used for more measurement in ranging.  It is easier to range with the 1/2 mil marks as sometimes you may need to use 1.8 mils or 1.9 mils to get an accurate measurement for ranging the particular distance.  That is much more difficult to break down when you only have a mark every mil to judge with. Also the center dot that is used in place of the cross hair is much superior in my opinion.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 23:24
But all that being said if all you are ever are going to do is shoot on a range at known distances the mildot or MP8 will serve no practical purpose other than maybe hold over.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Second Amend View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Amend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 23:28
Originally posted by superstool73 superstool73 wrote:

But all that being said if all you are ever are going to do is shoot on a range at known distances the mildot or MP8 will serve no practical purpose other than maybe hold over.  

Thanks.  You get more refinement with the MP8, but it seems so cluttered.

What's your (or anyone's) take on the illuminated reticle and exposed knobs?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 23:48
Its not cluttered, they work great. 

Exposed are good if you plan on making adjustments all the time for different ranges and windage.  If you don't plan on that no need to have them.

Lit reticles perform best in low light, at dark they are pretty much over powering even on the lower setting.  If your target is lit up pretty well, they may benefit you some but in darkness they are pretty hard to use as it becomes very hard to make out your target with the bright red light in the scope.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 08:57
The MP-8 reticle looks cluttered in the pics, which are emboldened and not completely representative of the actual reticle, which is absolutely fantastic. If you ever look through one you will see why some of us here are sold on IOR. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Amend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 12:31
Had a chance to check out the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 and 6.5-20x50mm.   Positive impressions so far.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 12:45
You should really look at the MP-8 reticle, although the Zeiss is a nice scope for sure.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Amend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 00:07
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

You should really look at the MP-8 reticle, although the Zeiss is a nice scope for sure.

Will definitely do so.  One of my range buddies has several IOR scopes on a few of his rifles, so I'll see if he's got the MP-8.

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2008 at 07:08
Got the 4.5-14x44 Zeiss you looked at, and just started shooting long range with it. (don't know what everyone else considers long range, but for me anything beyond 400) I was very impressed with the scope. I believe they are a screaming deal for pretty good optics. I don't know if you looked at the Rapid-Z reticle that I suggested earlier. I suggested the lower power to stay inside your budget, as the 4.5-14 runs about $800. I just used the reticle last saturday to put on on a steel target at 600 first shot I ever tried that far. A Kahles with Multizero off the samplelist would be a screaming deal also. Not sure what powers they have.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic