OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Quality twilight scope advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality twilight scope advice
    Posted: March/11/2008 at 20:48

Here goes my first letter….

Firstly, Hi all, and what a great site! So much great info here… came about this site when searching for optic reviews.

Okay, to the point. I have recently started long range varmint (rabbits hares magpies etc) with my HB Tika .22-250   After some experimenting with handloads, have managed to get sub ½ MOA groups, which pleased me no end. The trouble is that I have a pretty naff scope onboard, which is great during good light days, but much of my shooting takes place at twilight. The damnable frustrating part is that I have Swarovski 8.5 X 42 EL Binos (I slept with them for the first few nights after getting them..!!), anyway, they see long into the twilight, I can see rabbits everywhere, then I pick up the rifle, and cant see a dam thing through the scope!!!

So, question is what scope to put on! The present one is 6-18x50 Whitetail classic, which I may put on my Ruger .223

My criteria is this:

Must be exceptional in low light conditions

Should be side focus (rules out Swarovski)

Preferably have a illuminated reticule

Minimum 18x (prefer more)

Budget up to $2000

I have an idea to go for Zeiss (used then before on friend’s rifle). Either a conquest, which means I would save many $$$ or a victory, and have the choice of an illuminated reticule.

Any constructive advice would be grateful here! Also reticule advice (I believe you can have the Zeiss reticules changed if you want to later)…. And best place to buy too! One last thing, I live in New Zealand, so unsure about restrictions on buying scopes from the US…. Maybe anyone could suggest help here too.

Thanks all.

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 01:31
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1474-665-kahles-3-10x50-helia-cl-riflescope.aspx so many good scopes to pick from this is just one for you to look at.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 01:46
Kahles Helia CL scopes are probably ideal for your needs, unless you have to have illumination.  If illumination is important, take a look at Kahles Helia CSX scopes.

ILya
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 02:54
I would say, irrespective of the scope you decide on, make sure it has at least a 50mm objective lens. A 56mm would even be better if you do not mind the bulk/size.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 06:37
Man are you ever in a great position with a budget like that. i would look at the IOR line as they have some very good scopes that fall well in that price point, they might be slightly behind Swaro, Zeiss Etc. Only slightly though, and they have a fantastic reticle, which is illuminated.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 08:11

get the diavari 6x24x56 with the illuminated reticle (probably the varmit), conquest isn't even close. (against this scope, not much in anything comes close)

nzspearo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzspearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 08:31
Hey britguy

I'm looking at scopes for NZ at the moment too (in the UK for a while, but hoping to buy from the US). I am almost set on an IOR, but they are hard to get hold of in the UK (all going to the US market according to the local IOR agent). They are also hard to get out of the US. Good news is that there is a NZ agent, so local support is available, although you'll probably pay a bit more than US prices to buy in NZ.

Good luck with your choice - nice budget to work with!

<><...<><...<><...<><... <><...<><...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 09:00
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

get the diavari 6x24x56 with the illuminated reticle (probably the varmit), conquest isn't even close. (against this scope, not much in anything comes close)

I agree with Dale.  The Zeiss Diavari 6-24X56 meets all of your criteria except price limit.  However, it is only slightly above your budget, and the illuminated Rapid Z varmint reticle would be a nice match for your .22-250.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 09:10
i would suggest kahles CBX or zeiss diavari, also - great top notch optics.

J
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 09:37

The CBX and CSX are fantastic scopes!  They just don't offer the side focus and "minimum 18X (prefer more)" that britguy wanted.

Edited by RifleDude - March/12/2008 at 09:37
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:05
I agree on the Diavari, want low light and illumination: that's the ticket.

The other options are to go IOR or Nightforce - but the Zeiss beats them both on low light and clarity.

Wanna shave a few hundred off the $2,000, get IOR or Nightforce; want the best you can get, buy the Diavari. 

Sleeping with optics: damn, you brits are strange.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 12:37

I'm green with envy   Big%20Grin  and I'd sleep with those Bino's as well!  Good luck with the scope!

take em!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 13:03
What scope do you have now? Might help with the comparison. You will transmit much more with a lower power than the 18 mentioned. The Kahles Medic 52 mentioned is an awesome twilight scope.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
britguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 15:24

Thanks for the feedback everyone… I have taken on board everything you have said, and I think I am leaning toward the Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 T* Diavari with Illuminated reticule. I can get one through the UK for about $2000 (and no export problems unlike the US).

The obvious question begs, what reticule?  I have never used a Mil-dot, but I hear they are great once you get used to them. I think I have seen a book on some website some place that explains how to use them, along with some sort of chart?

When making a purchase like this, the obvious thing is to take a good look at it first, but seeing I’m sort of in the back and beyond, I’m sure there isn’t any store locally that stock them.

I don’t need to question the feel or quality, as I know you cant go wrong with Zeiss, but just would like to take a look to see if I could get on with the reticule. I remember one that I looked at, and the reticule looked so fine that it would be easy to lose it when looking at a dark objective, that’s another reason I favoured the illuminated one.

Lastly, to you Rancid…. Whats wrong with sleeping with a quality pair of Euro-Bino’s? Its not like I bought a cheap sleazy pair from some back street ally! Even the wife didn’t object…. Sort of a ménage à trios….. I may even introduce her to the new scope when she arrives!   Wink

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 15:32
rapid z with the varmit reticle, -- or sleeping with something from the phillipines
britguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 15:39

rapid z with the varmit reticle, -- or sleeping with something from the phillipines

errrrrm.... yup, have to admit to that too!Roll%20Eyes

but back to the reticule..... the rapid Z Varmint, thats the one i was looking at i think...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 15:41

Laugh%20Above

+1 on the illuminated Rapid Z varmint, ideal for a .22-250.

Ted

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 15:46
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Laugh%20Above

+1 on the illuminated Rapid Z varmint, ideal for a .22-250.

~
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 15:53
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

...sleeping with something from the phillipines

~

That says it all right there...

Edited by RifleDude - March/12/2008 at 15:54
Ted

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 15:56
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

...sleeping with something from the phillipines

~

That says it all right there...

It must be spreading from Thailand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic