OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

EOTech Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EOTech Question
    Posted: March/11/2008 at 15:43
OK so after asking plenty of questions about what optic to get and buying a cheap scope that has already crapped out on me I've finally decided to spend some money on a real optic.  As of right now, I'm leaning toward the EOTech.

Primary uses for whatever optic that I chose will be home defense and occasional small game hunting (deer-sized game or smaller).

What I want to know is how realistic is it to hunt small game (accurately) at ranges below 100 yds? I ask only because I know the EO is more a CQB optic and not neccesarily a precision optic.

Also, depending on the answer I get to the first question, I was thinking of getting a decent scope for hunting and interchanging between the two as needed.  How repeatable is the EOTech after remounting? Is it repeatable enough to just re-mount it and not have to worry about going to the range to re-zero it?

BTW I have a Flattop 16" AR15 carbine...forgot to mention that...

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 15:49
The Eotech is remountable to within 1 moa. it should work for the hunting, and home defense. The draw back is there is no magnification, although magnifiers can also be purchased. I think a good 4x fixed power scope will also serve you well.

Edited by cyborg - March/11/2008 at 15:51
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 15:53
Unless you are shooting squirrels it should work well within 100yards.

However, for mixed use, a lot of people like low range variables along the lines of 1-4x24 or something along those lines.  They are usually not quite as fast as an Eotech close up, but better for mid-range stuff.

The cheapest decent scope of this type is Millett DMS-1.  There are of course many similar scopes that are more expensive.

ILya

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 20:39
this is about as good as the group gets at 100 yds., which isn't bad for off hand 10 shot all a zone. almost forgot - the eo only as one clamp, so re-alignment after removal, and replacement has a lot to be desired, --- but if you went to something like a LaRue mount it would improve substantially.

Edited by Dale Clifford - March/11/2008 at 20:41
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 10:46
I'd recommend an Aimpoint on a LaRue mount, repeatability will be pretty good - but nothing should be removed and remounted without at least one zero-check round prior to use.

The Aimpoint reticule is more well defined than is the EoTech.  The EoTech is a little faster on target and has a wider field of view - if any of that matters.

I have the EoTech, Aimpoint, and the Millett DMS.  I think you would be best served, given the stated purposes, with the Aimpoint: better battery life, better mounting options, can be semi-precise.  I do like the Millett, I have mine on a SOCOM for hog hunting, but in a pinch, it would work fine for defense or deer or the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

All are good optics, all will work for your purposes.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Ironman8 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironman8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 12:53
Thanks for the replys guys.

I have thought about the aimpoint also, but the only thing I'm unsure of is what moa dot could be used for both home defense and hunting?  The 2moa seems like it would be hard to quickly acquire and the 4moa seems like it would be too large for hunting....am i right here?

Also, the scope I was looking at is the new Mark III tactical series from NcStar.  They have the 2-7X32 or the 4X32 that would be perfect for hunting with the AR.  Also, it can be mounted either straight to the flattop or the carry handle.  It's around the $100 range so the only thing I don't know about is the quality.  Any of ya'll have any info on it?

Thanks again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 13:01
Don't buy anything NcStar, it is pure crap.  If you absolutely can't buy anything over $100, I recommend you look for something used or shoot open sites.  Almost anything is better than an NcStar optic.  Maybe consider a toilet-paper roll taped to the upper - save a few bucks and have about as good a chance at hitting something.

A 2MOA or 4 MOA reticule at AR ranges will be fine.  The 2 MOA is plenty visible, no worries on that for defense purposes.

The Millett definitely isn't bad (in that price range) and gives you the added feature of magnification.  I'd consider that option too as it less $ than EoTech or Aimpoint and can still be used as an actual aiming implement when the battery dies - as batteries do.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 13:07
I had a 2MOA Aimpoint for a while and it was very nicely visible.

Another good option is Millett ZoomDot.  The dot size is variable from 1MOA to 10MOA, so you can set it for hatever application you want.  I ended up selling my Aimpoint and keeping the ZoomDot after some side by side comparisons.

ILya
NVB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 12:19
The 2 MOA dot on the Aimpoints is easy to pick up. The Aimpoints tend to be more durable than the Eotechs, and the AP battery life far out strips the Eotech. If you have an astigmatism, the reticle can pixelate or blur with either, but the 65 MOA ring on the Eotech makes that a bit more noticable.

If you are looking at a variable, non illuminated scope, check out some of the shotgun offerings from Leupy, Nikon, etc. They are rugged and generally relativly inexpensive options.
Nate
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic