OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reloading Presses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VN350X10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 14:16
I'm a new member, but I think I can offer a bit of knowledge here....
I've been reloading since 1973, have worn out a couple of firearms with reloads & should have been able to deduct Remington & Winchester a few times as dependants.
That said, here goes:
Current loading presses on my bench, left to right, calibers/tooling avaliable.
Lee 1000, dedicated to 9mm
Dillon SDB, 10MM & .45ACP
Dillon XL 650, 10MM, 40 S&W,(mm, 38 super, .44 Mag/Spl.
Dillon 1050, .45ACP, .44 AutoMag
Dillon 550, Rimmed revolver cals, varmint cals  & CF rifle up to .375 H&H
Bonanza Co-Axial
RCBS RockChucker
Lyman Spar-T

I currently reload for a 4 man IPSC team; 9mm, 38 Super, .40 & 10MM, we just got to agree on something one of these days !

All of the presses I own have good/bad features, no one press is "perfect", not even the Dillon 1050. The new model, the Super 1050 might come close, as it can handle up to .30-06 & .45-70 size calibers, but won't do the real big stuff.
In a single station press, the  Reddings are what I'd now chose over the RockChucker, but they wern't avaliable when I started loading.
I use my Co-Ax for case forming & heavy de-capping, it's stronger than the 'Chucker, not much, but it has a bit better leverage.
Sorry this is so long..I could keep going !
I'll try to answer any loading/press questions I can; My experience may as well keep someone from making the same mistakes I've made !

uncle albert
My gun safe is LARGER than my first appartment !
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 14:36
Thanks for the input and welcome to O.T., Uncle Albert.

Doug
bagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 22:24
I use the RCBS Rockchucker single stage.
I'm looking for something faster due to the amount of .45 I shoot. I'll still load my rifle stuff on the Rockchucker. Been looking at the Dillion but I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks
VN350X10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VN350X10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2008 at 22:37
If you have small hands & plan on only 1 or 2 pistol calibers, the Dillon SDB is good.
Small hands is the key here, there isn't a lot of room to work. Another drawback is the propriatary dies that the SDB uses. All other Dillon presses use the industry std. 7/8-14 dies.
If you went to a 550, you could load everything on it & there is a case feeder avaliable for it now.
Loading pistol or revolver ammo on a 550, without the case feed, a steady rate of 250-300/hr is realistic, as long as you get all of your components close by & handy to work with. Ignore the rates shown in the Dillon catalog, they're closer to an operational cyclic rate, but not a true production rate.

uncle albert
My gun safe is LARGER than my first appartment !
neil View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 00:59
I have been using a Co-Ax for over 20 years and I haven't found any reason to change to another single stage press.  The ability to swap dies quickly and have an almost universal shell holder, the dies and brass have some "wiggle room" that allows them to float and line up better when loading is rather unique, too.

The Co-Ax has a really precise priming system but it is slow and you almost have to either handle the primers with your fingers or use tweezers.
I do all of my single stage priming with a Lee hand primer, so that is not a problem that I have.

I do have two Dillons on the bench but the Co-Ax is right were I bolted it down back in the '80s.

neil
neil
If I can't take it with me I'm not going!
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 06:30
  +1 on the 550 Dillon
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 09:53

Originally when this was posted, I had great interest because I also was looking to upgrade my single stage press. Well I took the advise of no one and chose the Lee "classic" press based on price, strength and origin of manufacture (wisconsin).  I don't have alot of time on the press, but it is definately an upgrade to my Lee challanger press, much smoother and stronger, especially when resizing.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 14:17
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Originally when this was posted, I had great interest because I also was looking to upgrade my single stage press. Well I took the advise of no one and chose the Lee "classic" press based on price, strength and origin of manufacture (wisconsin).  I don't have alot of time on the press, but it is definately an upgrade to my Lee challanger press, much smoother and stronger, especially when resizing.

Should be a great machine.
 Good on you for supporting Wisconsin manufacturing, too!    Thunbs%20Up

Edited by RONK - April/26/2008 at 14:19
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 21:01
I have Lee Classic and a Rockchucker.  Rockchucker is probably heavier duty, but both have worked well for me.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 11:24
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have Lee Classic and a Rockchucker.  Rockchucker is probably heavier duty, but both have worked well for me.

ILya

.... and I'll bet they will still be working for your great-grandchildren, too!
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 11:42
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

Ha! We share the exact same setup!  I agree with your assessment of the two presses but I will add that, in my opinion, the Lee Classic can do everything the RCBS Rockchucker can do with the same results. The Rockchucker just feels a little more "solid".
The Lee Challenger, while functional, definitely feels like a step down in quality from the the aforementioned presses. I think it would work fine for depriming but it left a lot to be desired when it came to full length resizing...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 12:03
That was my single most complaint with the Lee challanger, just felt wimpy when sizing shells, the "classic" press is a great improvement in this department.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
J!m View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J!m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 06:43
If you have a Rockchucker and want to go to higher volume, you could do what I did:

Get the PiggyBack set-up for your Rockchucker.

This is great if you have a small work space, or small budget. One press converts from single-stage to multi-stage indexing, in a few minutes (probably 15-30) and back again easily.

I was doing tons of 9mm on the piggyback with excellent results.

Now I'm doing precise .308 on the rockchucker with excellent results.
Hmmm... It seems he's suffered from acute lead poisioning...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic