OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 375 RUM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 22:03
Nah couldn't be, this guy can spell.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 22:14
For everyone's info,  the Kahles 1.5-6X42 is $699.95 on the Sample list.  Somebody better check their multiplication tables!  Not only that, but it has a FOV of 75.5 feet at 1.5 power, which is a lot better than the Leopold at 66 feet.  Eye relief is 3.6 which is not too bad.

I do not believe that I am the one that did not use a lot of thought when making my post.  The caliber listed is not only used to shoot lions at 50 feet either! 

And what is a "large objective anyway????  How about 50mm, 52mm and 56 mm?  But maybe if I owned a couple hundred guns it would make me smarter?  NOT!!!!
MOJO
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 07:18
All posts were appreciated and if it were in my budget I would have probably gone with something like a Kahles 2-7 36mm CL, just because I like a lower profile scope on the hard kickers so I can keep my cheek welded to the stock.  I kind of wanted to choose a different brand other than the Leupold, but I really like that scope.  Like I said, it has an eye relief, to quote somebody else, that is in the next county and after shooting the 458, I never even came close to getting bumped shooting off of sandbags, but did have a bruised shoulder.  It was crystal clear, but not as clear as my Trijicon.  At any rate, because of this and the warranty, I ordered the Leupold 2.5-8x 36mm VX-III.  Nobody mentioned anything about the Zeiss and its ability to stand up to the recoil, so I just stuck with a proven product.  Damn, I think I am turning into a Leupold man.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 08:34
D, I also thought about the Leupold you ordered because of it's eye relief. It is a very good scope and will serve your purpose well.
I tried mounting one on a long M700 and needed extension rings. Warne has a two piece extension base that shouldn't intrude on the receiver opening too much. You can get the QD's and have your back up irons handy.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 11:16
You know it funny that you mention that.  I have taken the scope and the rifle pictures from the net and scaled them to see if it would fit and it was looking like it would come close.  I have to pull the rifle and see if I have extension rings on it now or standard Warne mounts and rings.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 11:30

Sounds like a good choice to me. Hope it works out for you...... 

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 18:16
Originally posted by edsguns edsguns wrote:

Apparently it only matters how many B.S. posts someone makes here!

Stare
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Apparently it only matters how many B.S. posts someone makes here!

Stare

Hmmm..................curious    
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 16:45
Are there any emoticoms of someone "grinding an axe" out there?
MOJO
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 17:03
                                                                     Devil
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 21:05
No no Ed!  The old foot operated grinding wheel,  that sharpened the axe.  Or, did I mean that someone had an axe to grind, figuratively?  
MOJO
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 08:02

I'll tell you what...here's my point, EXACTLY. When someone makes a post and mentions 2 or 3 scopes that may be what they are looking for, and an answer to their post is a scope that is nearly 5 TIMES the price of either scope mentioned...I cannot help but think this is a post made without much thought, except to whatever might be the BEST scope, cost irrelevant. There, was that quite clear enough!

HMMMM....... Ed it seems to me that you are the only one with a problem here. Do you just enjoy putting folks off? I can see no wrong doing in recommendations that were made here. It is widely known that we do what we can here to help someone consider options, which may mean that a person might need to save just a little longer in order to not be wasting money and time. You remind me of someone that has been here multiple times under many usernames. Have you ever used the term "BUZZARD BREATH"?

Edited by cyborg - March/15/2008 at 08:03
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 09:57
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

D, I also thought about the Leupold you ordered because of it's eye relief. It is a very good scope and will serve your purpose well.
I tried mounting one on a long M700 and needed extension rings. Warne has a two piece extension base that shouldn't intrude on the receiver opening too much. You can get the QD's and have your back up irons handy.
 I bought Warne extended bases just in case.  I am going to mount the scope today and load some ammo, 300 grain Sierra gamekings with H4831 powder, CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers and Remington brand new brass.  I will try to make a case to fit my Hornady OAL gauge and if I have a correct size bullet comparator gauge, I will you use that also.  I will take it out tomorrow and shoot it.  I am still not sure what scope it has on it.  I might be surprised and find out it has a pretty decent scope on it already.  You know how when you buy a rifle and you have to mount a scope.  I bought this one a couple years ago and knew I was not going to shoot it for a while, so it will be a surprise when I pull it out in a little while.

Edited by Chris Farris - March/18/2008 at 10:33
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 10:29
Looks like you can go up wards of 97 gr of 4831. You might need to start buying in 5 lb. lots so you can get a few boxes of ammo per can.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 12:12
Well, things did not go like planned.  I drilled a hole in one case to use with my Hornady gauge, to measure the chamber OAL.  Well I lubed the case to size it, to be able to insert a bullet and the case got stuck.  Well, having had one other problem like this and having no problem getting it out, I did not even bother to run to Lowe's to get the things needed to put together a stuck case remover.  Besides, the whole I drilled in the base of the case was rather large.  Well, that baby was stuck, I mean glued in.  It took me a total of 4 hours to get it out over Sat. and Sunday.  I used a combination of a power drill with a .5 inch bit, a dremel tool, a torch, multiple screw drivers (of which I broke many), pliers (I broke 1 end of the needle nose pliers off), metal cutter, hammer, pin punches and other tools.  Well finally after eroding enough brass, I got it out.  Only one cosmetic mar to the inside of the die.  Regardless, I polished the inside with progressive sand paper and polishing compound until it was like a mirror and proceeded to load 40 shells with 95.6 grains of powder, per my Sierra manual.  The die worked probably better that if I had not polished it.  Never got to shoot it.  I probably used a half pound of powder, just judging by the weight left over in the plastic container.  Needless to say, I was pissed and have multiple hand wounds.  Next time I am at Lowe's, I am going to buy the things needed for removing a stuck case, even though it would not have worked in this case.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 22:52
Those stuck cases can be a pain in the butt.  It sounds like it turned out OK in the long run, though.   My one experience with a stuck case turned out alright as well.  I stuck the die and case in the freezer overnight.  Drilled and tapped the case.  1 screw, 1 spacer, a couple of fender washers, and everything went fine.  Carbide dies are a little costly with the amount of reloading I do. 

Edited by ckk1106 - March/17/2008 at 22:56
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 12:57
Yeah, if had not have drilled that hole in it to use with the Hordnady OAL gauge, I could have done that.  I might have gotten away with a bigger threader, but being in a hurry, I thought I could just pop it out, as I have previously done.  Never again.  Like I said, next trip I take to Lowe's for whatever reason, I am coming back with the right parts for the stuck case remover.  The Lee carbide dies are not that expensive, but everybody is always out of stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic