OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 375 RUM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 375 RUM
    Posted: March/10/2008 at 14:07
Ok, I bought all the reloading equipment for my Rem. 700 BDL Deluxe in a 375 RUM that I bought several years ago.  I cannot remember what scope I even have on it, but I am sure that it not what it needs.  Right now, I am stuck between two choices.  A Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x 20mm just like I put on my CZ 458 win. mag. or a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x 32mm with a Z-plex reticle, both for the same price.  I can get a similar Zeiss as the Leupold for the same price, but the FOV is not as great and I like the Leupold warranty on these hard kickers.  I also worry about all of the refurbished Zeiss scopes.  Not many Leupold refurbished scopes around.  What do you guys think.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 14:40
You can double check with SWFA, but, I don't believe Leupold sells or has ever sold "refurbished" scopes.  On a 375 RUM, I would get whatever scope offered the most eye relief or bring along a plastic surgeon on future hunts.

Roy
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 14:43
The Leupold I have has tons of eye relief.  However, with the 375, I was thinking that a little more magnification might be useful and a different brand, such as a Zeiss would be a change of pace, since I do not own one.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 15:17
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Ok, I bought all the reloading equipment for my Rem. 700 BDL Deluxe in a 375 RUM that I bought several years ago.  I cannot remember what scope I even have on it, but I am sure that it not what it needs.  Right now, I am stuck between two choices.  A Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x 20mm just like I put on my CZ 458 win. mag. or a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x 32mm with a Z-plex reticle, both for the same price.  I can get a similar Zeiss as the Leupold for the same price, but the FOV is not as great and I like the Leupold warranty on these hard kickers.  I also worry about all of the refurbished Zeiss scopes.  Not many Leupold refurbished scopes around.  What do you guys think.
......................For the 375 RUM, I like the extra magnification of the 2.5x8. That round is not only a close to medium range round but a longer range performer too!!!...........Since you like the Leupy for their warranties for hard kickers, go with the 2.5x8 VX3. The same magnification in the Zeiss would be great too! In your case, the 1.5x5 IMO, is better suited to the 458, while the 2.5x8 is better for the 375 RUM!
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 15:49
You mentioned your VXIII Leupold so I thought I'd recommend another Leupold product you might want to consider at about the same cost. The Leupold 30mm European line has two models that could interest you, the 1.25-4x20 (eye relief is 3.8-4.3") and a 2-7x33 (eye relief is 3.8-4.9"). I have one of each and am quite satisfied with both. Side by side comparisons with my Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest show both, to my eye, are as clear and brighter at dusk as well. I chose the German #4 reticle on both and love it. I am thinking a 3-9x40 duplex model may come live at my house very soon as well. Good Luck.   
We are all responsible for leaving the same legacy of rights and freedoms we have to our children and grandchildren!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 17:55
The Kahles 1.1-4x24 are an outstanding choice IMO. I have two of them and like them far better than the 1.5-5 Leupold I have. They have several reticle choices and the glass is excellent. You could mount one in some Talley or Warne QD's and be good to go anywhere.
BTW, cool gun, D

Doug
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 18:49
I would opt for a  Kahles 1.5-6 X42 Helia C. 
MOJO
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 19:50
Sorry, but I am absolutely amazed about the suggestions for BIG objective scopes here. Sorry, I'm merely someone who has hunted 30+ years and owned somewhere north of 75 scopes for big game rifles (and still own 50+ such rifles) and the idea that someone would want a 42MM scope for this application absolutely floors me. Sorry, apparently not an EXPERT on this forum, only someone with experience. Apparently it only matters how many B.S. posts someone makes here!
We are all responsible for leaving the same legacy of rights and freedoms we have to our children and grandchildren!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:08
Originally posted by edsguns edsguns wrote:

Apparently it only matters how many B.S. posts someone makes here!

So just what makes a post B.S. All opinions are valid whether you like them or not.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:13

Sorry, but I am absolutely amazed about the suggestions for BIG objective scopes here. Sorry, I'm merely someone who has hunted 30+ years and owned somewhere north of 75 scopes for big game rifles (and still own 50+ such rifles) and the idea that someone would want a 42MM scope for this application absolutely floors me. Sorry, apparently not an EXPERT on this forum, only someone with experience. Apparently it only matters how many B.S. posts someone makes here!
..................................................Edsguns!......................What would you consider, to be the maximum dimension in MM`s for a scope`s objective for this particular application??
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:13
   Sorry, but I prefer the idea that all posts are valid...if you know what you are talking about, vs trying to impress someone with cost, size, name, etc. Of course this could be only an opinion!
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:17
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

..................................................Edsguns!......................What would you consider, to be the maximum dimension in MM`s for a scope`s objective for this particular application??

I'd simply assume that the number that was mentioned gave us an idea as to what size the "customer" was wanting. I'd not assume (we all know what that would make me) that they would prefer something substantially...bigger! Again, simply my opinion.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:21

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

I'd simply assume that the number that was mentioned gave us an idea as to what size the "customer" was wanting. I'd not assume (we all know what that would make me) that they would prefer something substantially...bigger! Again, simply my opinion.
.................................ON OCCASSION, OTHER SCOPES ARE DISCUSSED!..... Again! What would be your choice as to a maximum objective diameter for a 375 RUM??? 
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:51
Sorry, I didn't mean to seem to put you off. I'd say that the likely maximum wanted was somewhere near the two that were mentioned; 20 and 32.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:51

Sorry, but I prefer the idea that all posts are valid...if you know what you are talking about, vs trying to impress someone with cost, size, name, etc. Of course this could be only an opinion!

I happen to own several Kahles scopes ranging from 1.1-4x24 to 2.2-9x42. I'm not trying to impress anyone but me. All of these scopes are far better than the Burris, Nikon, Bushnell and Leupold's that I have. I firmly believe you get what you pay for with firearms and optics for them.
I have two heavy kickers that have Kahles 1.1-4x24's on them and they are well suited to the task. The suggestion for the 1.5-6x42 is a good one because the .375 RUM is a flat shooting cartridge that can utilize the extra magnification. Not because you need 6x to shoot a large animal at 300-400 yards, but because it allows you to see obstructions that can deflect a bullet. Worse yet, miff the shot because of this and wound an animal.
The 1.5-6x42 has the same eye relief which is totally adequate for a heavy kicker at 3.54". It does lose some FOV, 118'/100yds for the 1.1-4 versus 75.5'/100yds for the 1.5-6x42. My Leupold 1.5-5x20 has 65.7'/100yds. In my opinion, if cost is not a problem, both Kahles blow the Leupy away in every respect.
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 21:00
I'll tell you what...here's my point, EXACTLY. When someone makes a post and mentions 2 or 3 scopes that may be what they are looking for, and an answer to their post is a scope that is nearly 5 TIMES the price of either scope mentioned...I cannot help but think this is a post made without much thought, except to whatever might be the BEST scope, cost irrelevant. There, was that quite clear enough!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 21:06
Hunterken8, is that you???
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 21:08
A new VX-III 1.5-5 is $400 minimum. There are several 1.1-4x24 Kahles on the Sample List for $600. Five times as much, I don't think so. Clear enough!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 21:20

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem to put you off. I'd say that the likely maximum wanted was somewhere near the two that were mentioned; 20 and 32.
..........................I have seen 36 mm`s and even larger bells on DGR`s, not only at the range but on alot of the "Outdoor Channel" - "Versus Country" TV episodes as well.......I`ve seen 3x9 Trijicons on DGRs. I`ve seen 3x9 Leupys on DGR`s. I`ve seen on TV a Swaro, with an objective bell mounted on a .375 Ruger Alaskan hunting bison used by Tim or Tom Ebell. I have seen many articles w/pics showing dangerous and large non-dangerous game taken with the larger objective belled scopes!..........The .375 RUM is not just a short to medium range cartridge! A 250 gr. Sierra or a 260 gr. Nosler A/B in this cartridge can be propelled at about 3100 fps!............That extra magnification can come in handy for a 400-500 yard shot on elk. Can it not? Other than a reduced FOV vs. using a lower powered variable 20mm tube with a better FOV, what would be the downside to using a 36mm to a 42mm bell, in your opinion? A little more weight? A little higher profile?
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 21:44
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Hunterken8, is that you???
........................UH! OH!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic