OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Expected Scope Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expected Scope Life
    Posted: March/10/2008 at 12:20
How many years should we expect to get out the current line of scopes - assuming something decent is purchased (not a Barska, BSA, or other Chinese scopes)?

My newest rifle was made in 1978.  It had a Hakko-made Revelation on it (that is still in decent shape but now sits upon a 22).  I expect to hunt with the rifles I currently own until I die, which God willing will be in the latter half of this century.

A rifle should last a lifetime.  How long should a scope last?

Davis
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 12:35
like any piece of technology, it may become outdated, but still usable--  different rifles have different purposes, and as one eases down to 22 plinking, where almost anything will work, it depends on the shooters acceptance of that level of performance. This arguement is always brought up when discussing the high cost scopes, one side saying the use of the scope doesn't change enough for the basics of optically science, therefore buy once cry once, and the other side, that saying changes in products negate the need for high dollar stuff.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 12:38
I have a old Zeiss scope that the good people OT dated around 1930 so its 75 + years and is still very clear and holds a good zero. I have a Weaver V22 from 1972 that is still giving good service on a Marlin 60.  Thats at 36 years on a lower end scope. So with good care, if you get a scope from a company that gives a lifetime warranty you should be good. Care and maintains (keep it clean) is the key to long life.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 12:41
personally I say beat the sh*t out them and get a new one.
Davis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 12:41
While it is the case on many firearms sites that folks brag about/show off their newest purchase of the newest rifle (and that is said with our rancor or irritation), it is true that a 1960 Winchester model 74 was a wonderful rifle in 1960, 1975, or today and is just as capable then as now.  Is it reasonable to say that a scope that is perfectly satisfactory in 2007 will not degrade to the point that it no longer is useful?  I mean, said scope, whether it is a Burris, Leupold, Bushnell Elite, or Nikon will be just as clear and reliable 20 years from now, given reasonable care and maintenance?  Or are we trapped in having to buy another $300-$800 scope every ten years?  Outdated because better glass comes about is one thing, degraded quality so that the scope does not function as well as it once did is another.

Davis

Davis
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 13:02
I have an old k4 on an equally old 250 sav. thats great for teaching kids-- but given that I only have a certain amt. of time, and it is more valuable-- I don't want to shoot it or take "time" with it. The statement that the win. is as capable is a reflection of the parameters based in the weapon not the possibilites. The best buy in scopes is in the $600 range (pretty cheap), why not get one every other year. The nature of the beast is sand abrasion, worn out lubricants, stripped clip stops, out of round tubes, sometimes knocked off turrets. If one only uses it for hunting for a couple of days a year, and if lucky enough to not fall of a horse, bounce down a mtn. side or other miss. I think they would last 10 or so years. I think scopes start to degrade the moment they get the first shot fired under them.  
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 13:05

No reason a quality scope shouldn't last as long as a rifle.  I've gotten past the "gotta have the latest".  Is a 2.5-10 worth the change from a 3-9?  I don't think so.  What about a 2-12 or a 1.7 to 10?  Practicall speaking, the benefit you get is not worth the cost.  Fortunately for Chris Wink, most of us aren't very practical, and even though our scopes work just fine, we can convince ourselves that something brighter, or with a different reticle is just what we need.  My 2 3/4 Redfield must be 40 years old (it's pre widefield) and still is perfect for it's application.

No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 16:06
Maybe Koshkin can answer this...... Do the coatings degrade over time?  How about the nitrogen.....does it go bad/seep out after many years?
take em!
Davis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 16:51
For me $600 isn't cheap and I am loathe to budged $300 annually just for scopes, or make that $1,200 annually on four rifles.  How can folks afford that?

Davis
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 02:29
I have a 20 year old scope that seems as good as one I bought last year. The only reason to replace an excisting scope would be to buy different specs eg higher magnification etc or upgrade in quality eg from a cheap scope to a more expensive model. The scope itself should last a lifetime.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 06:13
I'd say that depending on use, and of course maintenance, a good rifle scope may very well outlast a rifle barrel, rebarrel and on and on. Maintenance as with most things is the key, provided you have a decently built scope to start with.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 12:05
If the seals go bad or the gas leaks if the company has a good lifetime warranty send it back and it comes back like new.  My Dad always said "if you need a tool get the best because it can last the rest of your life." Buy good,- buy once. If you need more then go for it.

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 12:19
Well thats interesting question....You know they say if you take care of your body it will last a lifetime, so whats a lifetime? IMHO- We are responsible for keeping people in jobs so we should purchase scopes as the desire hits, I mean if I didn't buy some gun stuff that would give my wife more spending power and I am not going to give that up. The quality of scopes are good and will last a long time, upgrading and adding to the collection thats the fun part. Man I can't wait until they come out with the 1x60x80 Laser, Game Identifer, rack scorer, temp taker and automatic holdover scope myself......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 12:43
Protecting the old does not negate advancement. I think there should be Doppler laser research to measure molecular density and movement that can automatically adjust the scopes point of impact. this needs to be in a unit with a weight under 6 oz. No shots would ever miss. On the other hand that would take the fun out of shooting. I shoot to measure the miss. This is the challenge to do better on the next shot. Perfection can be built into a video game but not into real life.  Soap%20Box Oh Yea, I like the rack score identifier. Needs Baro. Pressure, Humidity, Rotation of the earth. What else?

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 12:45
A scope should last as long as you want to use it.

MLP-76C View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLP-76C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 13:15
The oldest scopes in my collection are both Leupolds.  The M8 8x40 AO was purchased new in 1983.  The M8 4x28 Compact was purchased new in 1984

Over the years, both these scopes have served most of their duty on semiauto rifles: Ruger Mini-14, two Colt AR15's, PolyTech AK47, HK91, HK93 and Springfield M1A.

When I purchased my Remington 700 PSS .308 in 1996, the 8x40 AO was installed and never removed.  It continues to produce .625-.750" groups to this day.  Since about 2002, the 4x28 Compact has been mounted on my Remington 11-87 SPS-T that is used as a short-range predator-calling gun with 12GA slugs and buckshot.

Other than occasionally cleaning the external glass serfaces, there has been no maintenance done to either of these scopes.  Performance has been flawless.

With most of today's low to mid-range variable power scopes, you should expect performance to be degraded a bit with every shot.

Cheers

M

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 16:26
Whatever
Originally posted by Davis Davis wrote:

How many years should we expect to get out the current line of scopes - assuming something decent is purchased (not a Barska, BSA, or other Chinese scopes)?

My newest rifle was made in 1978.  It had a Hakko-made Revelation on it (that is still in decent shape but now sits upon a 22).  I expect to hunt with the rifles I currently own until I die, which God willing will be in the latter half of this century.

A rifle should last a lifetime.  How long should a scope last?

Davis

According to the Mayan Calendar it should last until the year 2012 when the entire earth will be destroyed. Yikes  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/11/2008 at 22:14

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 16:38
Jeez man, talk about depressing us all.  Big%20Smile
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 16:53
If it were not for US troops dooing UN work who else.   The French. Roll%20on%20Floor%20LaughingRoll%20on%20Floor%20LaughingRoll%20on%20Floor%20LaughingRoll%20on%20Floor%20LaughingRoll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

cccombo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 21:00
wow some of your guys scopes are older than I am Shocked
"In politics shared hatreds are almost always the basis of friendships."  --  Alexis de Tocqueville
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic