OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scopes for use in the box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 17:40

Just got back from the box in 2003.  We didn't have the ACOG's when we were there, but after getting back I learned and trained others to use them on M4's and M16A4's.  The best way to use an ACOG in close quarters is to use both eyes open.  It takes a little getting used to but if you stare at the triangle reticle with both eyes open the scope actually almost disapears.  All you see is a red triangle just like the Aimpoint or EO Tech's dot.  Put that triangle on the target and pull the trigger.  I've posted in the topic where Chris posted the article about Marines.  Having just gotten out of the Marine Corps being an 0311 I know how it is with the newer weapons.  No problem with this optic.  Farther out the scope is great.  I've hit targets from 800 meters out with it as well.  Used it with 9mm simmunitions in CQB and was able to easily clear rooms.  Great for quick range estimates and shooting precisley farther than 300 meters.  The only one I would maybe pick over the ACOG would be the EO Tech, for night time which I'll explain later.  Depending on what type of weapon you have, for example an M4 or M16A4 with rail system handguards and flat top.  I've shot the EO Tech as well on M4 and M249.  I mounted the EO Tech on the M4 right in front of the carrying handle.  Right in front of the handguard slip rings on the top handguard rail.  This allows use of iron sights if needed but also lets you take off the carrying handle and if you have a flat top, mount a PVS-14 behind the EO Tech.  Bam you have a night vision sight.  I have used this combo before and it works damn good.  I've never tried it but maybe if you had the PVS-14's you could mount it right in front of the ACOG and that might work.  Just tape over the tritium fiber optic on top of the scope so it won't be so bright.  Actually that's what I did while using the ACOG during day since the triangle was so bright it made it hard to make precision shots and at night or low light the tape came off.  Either one is good depending on the gear available to you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic