OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope test that blew my pre-conceived mind.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope test that blew my pre-conceived mind.
    Posted: March/10/2008 at 02:52
On Sat I took 4 scopes that I owned to the range. Unfortunately only 1 other shooter was there for me to also use his scope in the test.
I had the following scopes to test:
Leupold 3,5-10X40
Leupold 8,5-25X50
Lynx 2,5-9X40
Tasco 1,5-5X20 (This scope is 20 years old!)
Other gunowner:
BSA 3,5-10X40

I placed at the 100m mark two test patterns. The one pattern marked exhibit A , has numbers from 2-6 down the left side, and 1-6 down the right side.
Exhibit B has the letters of the alphabet at the bottom, and lines at right angles at the top.

The conditions were bright sunshine. The targets were however in the shade as a big cliff casts a shadow over the backstop. It was hot, 3pm summer weather.

Now for the mindblowing results:
ALL, yes all the 40 mm scopes performed exactly the same. Set at 9 or 10 times, I could clearly see and read every thing on Exhibit A on the left. That is the numbers and squares 2-6. I could also read the 1 and the square on the top right. I could not read anything on exhibit B.
The Tasco 20 mm scope (which is 20 years old) was as clear and bright as the 40mm scopes set on 5X. I could read on Exhibit A up untill no 4 on the left side.
The Leupold 50 mm scope I could, when set on 10X read on exhibit A everything on the left, as well as no 1 to 4  on the right hand side. This could be a function of the scope being on a more powerfull setting then 10X as I can only guess where 10X is.
On 25X I could read everything on Exhibit A Left and right(not small stuff in middle), and the bottom 2  Alphabet lines of exhibit B as well lines 11 and 9 (parralell lines.
The most enlighting thing of this test is that as far as I am concerned, there was zero difference between the 40mm scopes. I had them next to one another, looking from one to the next. I desperately wanted my expensive Leupold to be better the the Lynx and the cheap BSA scope, but honestly I cannot say that.
The 50mm , if the 10x setting was correct, was better then all the 40mm.

So, with this newly gained information, I am of the opinion that in bright sunny South Africa, all but the cheapest scopes are equal in clarity and brightness. A 50mm scope is better then a 40mm scope. So is a Schmidt and Bender worth the extra money? Is a leupold worth the extra money. A Lynx scope is half the price and just as good. Some mind blowing stuff, that I will continue to test with other scopes.

Edited by 8shots - March/10/2008 at 03:25
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 02:56
Exhibit A  These optics targets have been downsized for posting. They are A4 size normally.

Exhibit B

Edited by 8shots - March/10/2008 at 03:03
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 05:17
Your results are very close to my results in that my Leupolds were not opticly superior. One must always keep in mind CS. This is a large expence for any manufacture. Durability and repeatability are more important as the life of the scope extends.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 06:02
This is true, there is more to scopes then optics. I think we overanalise optics and never talk about the other issues.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 08:25
i disagree on the CS, we talk plenty about CS on this forum - nice findings, though 8shots.
although MOST of the chatter here IS about glass.

That test would have different results w/ zeiss, ior, or elite 4200 in lowlight.
My old tasco japanese resolves wonderfully in the daylight.

as far as CS, i think that you would be hard pressed to find better than leupy.

but as far as a rugged product, there are lots and lots out there.
zeiss conquest and 4200's are rock solid in my book and i have absolutely put
them to the test.

nonetheless, very good findings and post 8shots. thanks.

J
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 09:05

Some of the old Tascos, Bushnells and Weavers are great scopes.  I don't think they had much consistency, though.  I think to really test a scope you have to do at least four things.  First, some kind of temperature extreme test, then a durability test, then an optics test, and then put it on a rifle and shoot it for precision, repeatability, etc.

No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 10:06
do the same tests at dusk
I test scopes at night
just about all scopes look great in the sun

an eye opener for me was back about 5 years ago I was using an older VX2-C 3-9x40 and bought a new Burris FF2 4.5-14 x44
sure enough, in the daytime the burris was great, looking at 200 yards at small things the image was bigger of course

as evening approached I got both scopes (unmounted) and started looking under trees, at signs, etc.. from 1-300 yards away around where I worked..
much to my surprise the older VX2 was MUCH easier to pick things out
off the Burris went

now, I test scopes in the evenings and at night before I even will mount one

my wife went out to the front yard a few weeks ago and asked "what are you doing out here?" (as I had been out there in the cold for 45 mins) and I had to confess "testing scopes"

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 12:21
With the scopes I have looked thru the VX II is a lot more clear in daylight than the VX III series.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 13:11
This is true, there is more to scopes then optics. I think we overanalise optics and never talk about the other issues.
Couldn't agree more.--- take each of the scopes and bottom the elevation out for a couple of days, return them to their settings then test for impact.
also grid tests aren't accurate enough to test lens.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 13:14
8shots.........................Very interesting test there! But as another or two posters have stated, there is and should be more to a scope`s viability than just using it in broad daylight or under pristine conditions............There is low light, very low light, harsh weather, punishment and other things to consider! Therefore, the best rule is to take everything into account and be ready for the possibility that those conditions may present themselves! Better to spend more and be safe than spend less and live with regrets!......If only I`d,,,,,shoulda,,,,coulda,,,,woulda!!!!!.............................Not for me!!!  No%20No    
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 13:49
Good observations 8shots, thanks.
There are no big surprises and the point that Big brings up are the reasons some of my older Burris and Leupolds aren't going anywhere. They all work good in day light and I can always find a place for these scopes. They aren't my first pick for heavy cover or low light, though.

Edited by tahqua - March/10/2008 at 13:50
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 19:01
                                Squeezer Fridge%20Smash                 SnoopyEd
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 19:09
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Squeezer Fridge%20Smash                 SnoopyEd
.............................................Broken%20ImagePoke it ED! Poke it!!!....You need to get pumped up!!     Pump%20Up
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 02:23
I realize/know that with any equipment quality comes at a price. A cheap socket wrench will loosen the same nut as an expensive socket wrench. But after a 100 nuts have been loosened the cheap wrench will be worse for the wear. Same with scopes.
The test that I did made me think very differently about specifically the optics on scopes. South African hunting conditions is mostly in bright sunny conditions, so our need for low light optics is minimal.
I also realise that this test was very limited. I however wanted to look at the clarity of different glass specifically.
I intend to take this optics test paper with me every time I go to the range and test other scopes from other shooters.
Will keep you all posted.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 02:32
Saw this below on the varmint scope site, maybe this is where the money goes?

"Well,  I purchased a used rifle with a BSA Platinum Target 8-whatever on it, and figured out why the gun would not hit a bull in the butt standing in the barn with the bull.
BSA= CRAP! The scope dont work for crap! And its on a 204 Ruger! Sight it in and everythings great until the nest shot. Then you better start all over.Mad"
Charlie-bolted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie-bolted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 09:26

8shots.. it always helps to get insight (no pun intended). Your test was excellent I thought – there’s just an array of critical users out there .. still the basic fundamental concept was right on IMO.  For me its simple as you put it, does it get you to your target easier (yes/no?)  maybe a simple way of reviewing it, but all we are talking about is simple crisp clear optics

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 11:53

Recommendations from actual users get my attention when I start to look for another scope. Good test I enjoyed your write-up...Thanks

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 05:55
On Saterday I extended my testing to include a colour chart. I post the chart below. Interestingly all the scopes up to 10x magnification could not resolve the black from the red. The black around the red appeared red. The green and blue was also difficult to see as pure blue or green, but the scopes did separate them as a different colour.

Now for a new scope introduction to the test:
A Bushnell 3-9 x40 3200
Owner thought it was an 8 fixed!!
Well I looked through the scope and just saw a blurry vision!! I told him something is very wrong and started fiddling with the scope, which off course has a quick focus ring. So I dialled this adjustment and the picture came into focus. I showed the owner and he could not believe the difference. %&^ idiot.
Anyway, I had all the other scopes out. I sadly have to report that this particular Bushnell, which was in good condition, was not up to scratch. I could only see clearly up untill no 6 on the left, and nothing on the right. The numbers also seemed to pincushion. On the colour chart I could see the colours, but the black all round seemed to bleed into the other colours.
And yes, I tried several focussing jobs. It is not a focus issue. I do not like the quick focus ring as it does not have a locking ring. Bound to move with handling.
This is one scope I do not want on my rifles.
I also post a sight picture of the target down range. You will see it is well into the shadows, so the test is reasonably demanding.

Edited by 8shots - March/17/2008 at 05:56
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 06:50
Excellent Nice work 8shots........ Keep us tuned in bro.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 10:56
love that bullet stop---- no richochets there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic