OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.35 caliber bullet choice ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .35 caliber bullet choice ???
    Posted: March/09/2008 at 23:08
All right you ballistics wizards, I need some help here. I am currently putting together a "semi-custom" Ruger M77 in 350 Rem. mag.  for this years deer season in November. Since I do not reload it appears that my only options in factory ammo are Remington core-lokt, 200 gr.  or else Nosler custom 225 gr. partition.  My gunsmith said that the .350 has too much energy and that the core-lokt will not hold together, causing massive damage/meat loss.  He reccomended using the partitions,  I was wondering if the partition is "too tough" of a bullet for deer? would I get enough expansion or will this bullet just zip right through?  What do you guys think?   Core-Lokt or Partition???    Thanks for your help,  Bricat                                                           p.s. Yes I know, shot placement. Big%20Smile
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 23:13
With that caliber I don't think I would worry too much about the partition not expanding enough.  I could be wrong though. 
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 07:16

A buddy of mine hunts with a 35 whelen 7600 and uses  partitions for every thing from brown bear to coyotes ( given the opportunity ). It has never failed him.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 18:37
Besides the Partition, you might also try the 225 gr. Nosler AccuBond, the Hornady 200 & 250 gr. Interlock, and the 200 & 225 Barnes.  Any of those will work just fine on deer.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 19:54
 The 200 grainers are a bit light for caliber, but I seriously doubt that they would  be very likely to blow up on a deer.  The Core-lokts I've used in other calibers always seemed fairly tough.  If given a choice, I'd flip a coin for the 225 Partition or the 250 Hornady Interlock, whichever was the more accurate in my rifle.
 Partitions always expand pretty well, and usually expand very well.
RobertR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 13:51
I switched from core-lokt to Hornaday with my Marlin .35 Rem and my groupings got a lot smaller
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2011 at 16:06
I use 225gr sierras in my 35whelen, plenty tuff for deer.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2011 at 00:02
I use the 200 gr corelokt in my .35 rem and they have not let me down yet, but as already said, I would go with whatever was the most accurate in my rifle.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 07:45
200g Hornady will do very well for deer... use it in my .35 Whelen and .358 Win.  Have also used 200g Barnes in the Whelen, this was the best out of everything I have used; worked great on deer, hogs, and a couple of coyotes.  Even took 1 deer with a Hornady 180g SSP from the Whelen.  Bullet exited but there were a lot of copper fragments on the inside of the ribcage on the exit side.  I know some consider the 225 Sierra to be too soft.  No personal experience myself just hearsay.  CorLokts should be plenty good enough for deer I would think.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 08:09
Well all of the suggestions for different component bullets indicate that many are assuming you want to start to reloading. To give you my opinion about the factory options( and remember what you are paying for it) while I don't have a 350 mag I have used a lot of corelokt bullets in various calibers and have found them to be pretty reliable up to speeds of 2700-2800 fps +or -. Since the 350 rem magnum is not really a high velocity round and the remington ammo is unlikely to beat those speeds I don't think you will have any problem. In addition deer are not especially tuff and I don't find premium bullets give much improvement over regular cup and core ammo. Now if you go to elk and larger game then the nosler's may be an option but again mainly just for the weight as I would expect actual velocities with a 250gr to be in the 2400fps range.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2011 at 15:08
That Corelokt should hold together at 350 Rem Mag velocities.  The heavier partition will definitely penetrate deeper, however.

You might want to start reloading with that cartridge, however, because it really starts to shine with lighter Barnes bullets, IMO.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic