OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Some ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justplinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some ideas
    Posted: March/09/2008 at 21:18

I am brand new to this site but have been reading plenty of the posts going on and finally decided to post my own.

I currently shoot a tikka t3 20' barrel in .308, and when i got it i borrowed my friends scope for a bit, a NCstar POS. within 100 shots the turrets actually came off and the scope would not hold a zero.

I have been reading on these IOR scopes and just wanted to get some ideas.

I am thinking of getting the IOR 9-36x56 tactical scope, 35mm tube thats Illuminated MP8
which costs 1,436 (with rings)    then of course there are the leupold mark 4.

Just wanted to see who would go for what and why. So please any ideas comments or advice is welcomed. Thanks.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 22:09
I would go IOR and not look back, I would stay at a useable power range though 3-18 42, or 4-14 50 These scopes all have very good glass and are a great value.

Welcome to OT!!!!!

Edited by cyborg - March/09/2008 at 22:10
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
One Shot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 22:40

Got one for my sons 110 savage IOR 6x42 one nice scope very bright

one shot one kill
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 09:16
In my opinion, there are few circumstances that call for a 36X scope.  If 9X is low enough, go for it; I usually prefer a little lower for almost anything.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 10:18
Get a basic Conquest with the fancy z reticle and don't look back.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 11:43
that large of a scope on that size of frame will make the gun top heavy, easily prone to falling of the shooting platform something in the 4 to 20 range is more usable.
justplinking View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justplinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 11:47
In my opinion, there are few circumstances that call for a 36X scope.  If 9X is low enough, go for it; I usually prefer a little lower for almost anything.

that large of a scope on that size of frame will make the gun top heavy, easily prone to falling of the shooting platform something in the 4 to 20 range is more usable.

Thanks, both things something I havent thought of before.

Hey, if you can, keep the suggestions coming!!! Thanks!!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 15:52
I would recommend the 3-18 IOR over the 9-36 - assuming your shooting is anything like what I do.

What are you shooting at?
At what ranges are you shooting?
What do you "need"?
What do you "want"?
How much time will you be spending shooting?
What is most important to you in a scope (low light, resolution, color fidelity, cool looks, etc)?

IOR makes a good scope for the money, Nightforce does too.

Is your Tikka the tactical or just a T3?  I have 2 T3s ( both lite) and any of these scopes would be way too big and bulky and heavy for the gun.

I shoot out to 1,000 yards and don't have anything over 22X nor do I feel I'm losing anything.  Too much power can be just as bad as too little - maybe even worse because it gives confidence you shouldn't have.

There's a start.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:53
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Countryscape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countryscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 23:23
I'm thinking the IOR in the 2.5-10x42 would look really nice on that 20 inch .308 and would serve you well:) And yes, I would get the FFP with the illuminated reticle... If you hurry, SWFA had one remaining as of last week!

I think you might be surprised at how much you could do with this 10x scope and its outstanding glass. Also, the MP-8 reticle is very fine with great detail. I know how hard it is to make up your mind buying something you haven't seen or inspected yourself. SWFA  allows you 10 days to return a product from the date you recieved it (without restocking fees). If you figure the cost of fuel these days, the postage fees you might loose is a real bargain over driving all over the countryside.

The 3-18 would also be a good choice but regardless, both of these scopes would keep you on a medium profile and make your shooting much easier, IMO.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justplinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 11:14
well then this has helped me narrow down my picks.

What is FFP? New abbreviation for a Newbie!

Also how much difference would someone see with the difference of a 50mm objective over a 42mm, any at all? Such as light, clarity?

Its a T3 tactical

Thanks everyone for the continuing help.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 12:11
I just got done with a 4 day precision rifle class over the weekend and used my IOR 3-18x42 and it worked wonderfully.  I honestly never took my scope above 10x while shooting because the mirage got so bad the targets appeared to be moving at the higher powers.  I was making hits out to 1100+ yards with no problem with 10x.  I was making sub 1/2 MOA head shots at 400 yards no problem with 10x.  In my opinion the 3-18x or the 4-14x would be perfect for virtually any precision shooting needs.  They have the little extra above if you need it though I don't think you will most of the time and the nice low end as well.  If you never plan on going much past 500 to 600 I would go with the 2.5-10x that would be a prefect scope for that. 

FFP means First Focal Point reticle.  Meaning that the reticle will change sizes larger and smaller with the power setting.  So on 2.5x the reticle would get very small, people with bad eyes complain they get to small.  And much larger on 10x.  The reason for this is it allows you to use the mildots to range at any power.  On a SFP (second focal point) scope the reticle is always the same size no matter what power you are on.  This means you can only range on one power because the mildots will only be correct on that one power.  on the 2.5-10x it will be at 10x.  But in reality if you need to use the Mildots to range something it is probably going to be out there pretty far, 300+ and you will have your scope on 10x anyway so the FFP is not really needed.  So whether or not it is needed just depends on your application of the rifle and you person shooting needs.  If you are one who like to use lower powers for most of your shooting and would like to be able to range on those powers then that would be great.  If you always plan on using a laser range finder and never use the reticle to range then having a FFP or even a mildot for that matter is not nearly as necessary. 

But I think you will enjoy which ever IOR scope you choose.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 15:54
I think you would be very happy with a 2.5-10x42 IOR.  That is probably the best scope of the type that comes under $1000.  If you can afford more, 3-18x42 is a good way to go.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 16:45
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I think you would be very happy with a 2.5-10x42 IOR.  That is probably the best scope of the type that comes under $1000.  If you can afford more, 3-18x42 is a good way to go.

ILya

Right on Target.......  Good Advise.  Be aware that these scopes are increasing in cost as the dollar is worth less in exchange value to euros.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justplinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 16:48
well I think this will narrow it down.

Here goes the next question, rings?

Any paticular favorites out their? What have you used and enjoyed? What ones have been a disaster?

Thanks!!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 17:17
Hands down Badger rings and bases are the best available but be prepared for sticker shock they are not cheap. Hand hold a pair and you will feel a difference these are made to Last.  As for moderately priced I like Warne and have heard good things about the Burris Extreme Tactical.  Other systems to look at that are high quality are by GG&G and ARMS
GGG1199 GG&G%20Long%20Rifle%20Accessory%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 GG&G Long Rifle Accessory
  • Accucam Quick Detach Base with 30mm Rings
  • For Bolt Guns
SWFA: $199.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justplinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 17:36
thanks for the suggestion, now this might be another dumb question but they are 30mm rings, the scope is a 35mm tube, will this affect it in anyway? do you just not tighten the screws all the way?
as always thanks!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 17:39
NO!!!!! don't go there, get 35mm rings you don't want to damage that scope bro.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justplinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 17:40
thats what i thought. good looking out.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justplinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 19:09
Thanks alot, that explained alot more!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic