OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

We Americans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We Americans
    Posted: March/08/2008 at 00:59
Four Great Stories

Here are a few military comebacks.....

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if plans for Iraq were just an example of 'empire building' by George Bush.

He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.

You could have heard a pin drop.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American.  During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying 'Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done?  He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims.  What does he intended to do, bomb them?'
A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: 'Our carriers have three hospitals on board that  can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day; they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day; and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their
flight deck.. We have eleven such ships.  how many does France have?' 

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies.  At a cocktail reception, he found himself sta nding with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries.  Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, 'whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English.'  He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences
rather than speaking French?'  
Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied
'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'  

AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...

A group of American retired teachers recently went to France on a tour.
Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane.  At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on.
'You have been to France before, monsieur?' the customs officer asked
sarcastically.  Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously. 'Then you should know enough to have your passport ready.'  The American said, 'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it.'  'Impossible.  Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France!'  
The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look.  Then he quietly explained. Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in '44 to help liberate this country, I
couldn't find any damn Frenchmen to show it to.' 

You could have heard a pin drop

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 03:31
My dad would have loved the last one, he wasn't at Omaha beach on D-day, he was in a little place called Anzio. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 09:11
 Those are  great stories Helo-18; thanks for posting them.  I hope we never forget what a Jewel this great nation is because of men like Steelbenz' father and millions like him.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 09:43
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Those are  great stories Helo-18; thanks for posting them.  I hope we never forget what a Jewel this great nation is because of men like Steelbenz' father and millions like him.

AMEN!!

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 04:00
Man, nothing like great comebacks! Winston Churchill was also a master at it!

One of my favourites is when he was confronted by a lady at a cocktail evening:
She" Sir, you are drunk!"
Winston" And you lady are ugly, but in the morning I will wake up sober!"

Edited by 8shots - March/10/2008 at 04:04
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 12:19
I do so hate this PC BS. Winston was one of the last great Statesmen. Much of what he would say would get him tossed nowadays.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 21:43
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Man, nothing like great comebacks! Winston Churchill was also a master at it!

One of my favourites is when he was confronted by a lady at a cocktail evening:
She" Sir, you are drunk!"
Winston" And you lady are ugly, but in the morning I will wake up sober!"

On another occason, a woman who was debating him on some subject became so enraged at his witty replies to her arguments, that she sputtered "if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee!"
 He replied," And Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it happily!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 21:50

Laugh%20Above  Good one Ronk!

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic