OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Limbsaver; butler creek

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limbsaver; butler creek
    Posted: March/07/2008 at 21:47
I want to get a limbsaver for my 300wsm, should I get the screw in ones or the grind to fit?

Also I got flip up butler creek scope caps for my scope but it does not fit on all the way but still snug, should I get a bigger size that goes all the way on or just keep this one?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 22:08
If limbsaver makes a recoil pad specific to your rifle, thats what I would go with.  As far as your scopes caps are go,  I always take my scopes to the sporting goods store and try them on to make sure they fit.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
luv2shoot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 22:36
I would go with the pre-fit, providing it is available.
Andy
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 08:45
I agree with both posts above!
take em!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 09:26
I bought a Limbsaver pad for my .350 Rem. mag. (Ruger 77) the fit was perfect but the holes did not line up with the holes from the factory pad so I had to do some drilling in the end of my butt stock (did I just say that? Eek ) anyway other than that, the fit was perfect.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 11:42
Originally posted by texashunter texashunter wrote:

I want to get a limbsaver for my 300wsm, should I get the screw in ones or the grind to fit?

Also I got flip up butler creek scope caps for my scope but it does not fit on all the way but still snug, should I get a bigger size that goes all the way on or just keep this one?
...................................Texas.......................Here is what I did!....For my little compact 300 WSM Ruger Frontier, especially using Squeezer`s hotter re- loads, which do have some recoil, I simply bought the Limbsaver "SLIP ON" recoil pad for about $35......On at the range, off during the hunts and in storage! Takes 3 seconds to put on and 2 seconds to take off!.......Real sweet and simple with less headaches and less potential for problems!!  
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 11:59
        Squeezer   BeheadEd
Fbuckshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fbuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 23:07
Got to the limbsaver website and see if they have a precision fit pad for your gun. If they do, buy that. Remove the screws for your current pad, replace with Limbsaver. This assumes you don't have a synthetic stock where the pad is glued on. They have templetes you can print out to check fit for a "grind to fit" pad too. They sell several sizes. You could take off your recoil pad, go to local gun shop/sporting goods store, and check fit there. Slip on pads aren't bad, got one on my Rem BDL, but they do move around a bit.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 16:31
Come on guys, a limbsaver.  My 458 Win. Mag. does not even need a limbsaver.Smile
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 16:46
I have them on my magnum slug gun, I don't shy from recoil at all, I don't appreciate bruises either though.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 10:18
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Come on guys, a limbsaver.  My 458 Win. Mag. does not even need a limbsaver.Smile

Judging from the "smiley face", and his other usual good advice, Dolphin is having fun here.

In a more serious vein, the less recoil the better for the shooter.  Lots of old trap shooters have bursitis because they thought they could break more targets with heavy loads.  The current International trap load is now less than 1 ounce.  Scores haven't suffered, and shooters aren't damaging their shoulders.

I can tell you for a fact that a .416 with a recoil pad and scope is more fun to shoot than a .375 without either.  You can also do a lot more shooting at the range with a rifle that doesn't "wear you out" with recoil.  You are also less likely to develop a flinch which can pull you completely off your target.

You should go for the best recoil pad you can get on almost any big game rifle or shotgun.
You can adjust the pull to fit you, and you will shoot better in the long run.  I don't like muzzle brakes, because they can destroy your hearing or a hunting partner's. 
Fbuckshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fbuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 12:03
Concur. My distaste for recoil increases proportionally with my age! I put an after market pad (Limbsavers) on everything I own with any kind of recoil. I even put a grind to fit on my Knoxx Recoil Reducing Shotgun stock!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 17:32
Yeah, it was tongue in cheek.  Right now I am able to withstand any recoil all my rifles can throw at me, but I am stout and relatively young.  But, the best thing for me to do would be to add some type of recoil reducing pad.  I hate muzzle brakes and PHs do to.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2008 at 17:47
You are one tough hombre Dolphin!  I am an old fart and will take the Limbsaver.  It would hurt my shoulder just to see YOU shoot that .458.
MOJO
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2008 at 07:35
I prefer muzzle brakes, they increase accuracy, and help recoil. The loudness is no different than a non muzzle braked rifle, just that the report is not as directed. It is not that big of a deal if it's only a shot here and there. (hunting situation)
The range is where it could be a huge concern but you should be using hearing protection in that instance anyway.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2008 at 12:24
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

You are one tough hombre Dolphin!  I am an old fart and will take the Limbsaver.  It would hurt my shoulder just to see YOU shoot that .458.
 I am just a thick guy in the chest and never had a problem with flinching.  It might be because I am used to shooting those Wby. magnums.  That 458 was kind of fun to shoot, especially with the set trigger and knowing when it was going to fire.  Using the regular trigger, which I did not do, may have been more suprising and created a different scenario.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic