OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

44 mag bullet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 44 mag bullet
    Posted: March/06/2008 at 21:54
What 44 mag bullet do you guys suggest for big game?ie.. deer, elk.  I don't have a hunt planned or anything, but I was at a local sportsman's store today, and of course there isn't the selection that the major rifle calibers have.  The selection included hornaday HP-XTP, speer JHP and JSP, and Sierra JHC.  They were all very inexpensive so I imagine their not ideal.  They did have Nosler partition, but they were nearly as inexpensive as the rest, about 30 cents per bullet, so I wasn't sure if they were of high quality as the rifle bullets that everyone likes.  That was the extent of the bullets for that caliber.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 22:07
Most guys I know that hunt back home with a handgun, cast there own bullets.  I knocked a deer down with hollowpoints out of my 45 auto (at 10 yards, wouldn't try that with any more distance).  Out of a 44, I think you could easily use the hornady HP-xtp bullets from 200 gr and up on deer and get easy penetration.  Just my thoughts, I am sure the experts will be around shortly to set everything straight.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 22:46
Some years back I hunted northern Wisc. with a 44mag ruger 96/44 and I used standard Remington 240gr jsp bullets. I only shot one small buck with the round but I had complete pass through at about 60 yards.  I believe all of the bullet types you mentioned should be probably fine for your type of hunting.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 06:56
I've had success with Buffalo's Bore 270gr JSP...

270 gr. Speer Uni Core. (1450 fps / M.E. 1260 ft. lbs.)
(Big game up to 800 lbs.)

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#44P

Edited by martin3175 - March/07/2008 at 09:28
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 07:25
I have used everything from 240 gr Rem and up.  Currently using Hornandy 300 gr HP/XTP in my Ruger carbine, shoots this cartridge very well.  Use for deer because gives me a little more clout if I come across a good black bear.

Found a tendency in the 240 gr Rem to blow the jacket off, the deer were still dead however.  Best penetration was in the Federal 300 gr hard cast.  No expansion and wouldn't feed in the carbine because of the large meplat.
God save the Empire!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 09:06
Just remember the 44mag is about a 100-125yd. gun at best for big game.  Use of the bullets listed above and getting to within reasonable shooting range is your best bet.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 09:29
I like the XTP, the 240 is fine for deer. I load both the 240 and 300gr. I have only used the 240 on deer and it completely penetrates on broadside and is no problem on a quartering shoulder shot. They are deep penetrating and controlled expansion.
I carry the 300 for bear but haven't used it, yet.
I also have loaded Sierras in both 240 JHP and 300 JSP. The 300 gr is a pile driver and not needed for deer, maybe for elk? The JHP leaves a huge exit hole, broadside on deer.

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 09:48
Thanks  very much.  I have only loaded the hornaday XTP 240 grain in this caliber.  The soft point bullets should penetrate more than the hollow points, correct?  From the sounds of it the hornaday hollow point should work out just fine.  That's good cause I am familiar with that bullet more so than the others.  They are relatively inexpensive, too.  Let's say you were fishing in alaska, and was able to take your 44 as protection.  I take it you guys would rather load a 300 grain bullet, rather than the 240 grain.  Loaded to full power, I imagine.  Just wondering.  Thanks. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 11:12
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Let's say you were fishing in alaska, and was able to take your 44 as protection.  I take it you guys would rather load a 300 grain bullet, rather than the 240 grain.  Loaded to full power, I imagine.  Just wondering.  Thanks. 

Absolutely!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 11:20
+1 on what tahqua said
God save the Empire!
niles coyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 02:58
I use hornady's XTP in my 44 mag in weights of 200, 240, and 300. The 300 and 240 grain bullets will completely pass through the deer. The 200 grain bullet on all three deer Ive used it on has stopped and been recovered just under the hide on the opposite side of point of entry. It has all ways fully expanded and retained 92%+ weight at ranges from 20 to as far as 60 yards. Deer have never traveled more than 15 yards after being hit in the chest cavity and at 1700+ FPS (using w296 or H110 @ 27.5 grains out of a 10" barrel) has all ways turned the lungs and heart into a jello like substance. If I were to go after elk I would use the 240 or 300 grain for the extra penetration.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 07:59
One of my hunting buddies uses 300 grns in a marlin lever action 44 mag, he pushes the envelope with regard to powder as he puts it. The recipe seems to work well. I'm not sure I would want to shoot that from a pistol though. I use +Ps in my RedHawk and they are the 245 grn jacketed hollow points, at 100 yds and less they pass thru with very little expansion damage on the exit side.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 08:19
Have used both the 300 grain Hornady & Federal hard cast from my Redhawk.  Was pleasantly surprised that recoil was not bad at all.  Have Pachmayr grips to help. 
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic