OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st Focal Plane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Focal Plane
    Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:23
I know this has been asked a million times but...............

With a 1st focal plane scope the crosshairs magnify with the target as power increasees, meaning that the crosshair will cover as much of the target at 3X as it will at 12X. The crosshair grows proportional to the target thru the magnification range. Be good for low-light hunting crosshair where a second focal plane would appear to stay small thru the range or the same size......right?

Are the Burris signature series 2nd focal plane?

A couple weeks ago all this was Greek to me, now I am trying to get a handle on it. It's making meLocoLoco

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:42

As far as I know, all Burris scopes are 2nd focal plane.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:38
I do not know of a single american label that is FFP.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 23:23

Both USO and Leupold makes FFP scopes, but all of those are the more expensive sniper versions.

Regards Technika
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 09:31
Shepherd makes FFP.

And Leupold is not 100% American, just FYI.

FFP is a limited-utility item.  If you "need" it, you'll know.  If you don't know if you need it, you don't need it.

On hunting rifles, FFP is an annoyance - in my opinion.

By the way, Shepherds suck, don't buy for the reticule, and USO is indeed a tactical scope; no need for a deer rifle or safe queen to wear a USO, money better spent in other ways.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - March/06/2008 at 09:32
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 10:26

your assumptions are correct- biggest advantage to FFP are in group shoots. If you have a spotter and you are both SFP , he is on 8 power and your on 12, how can be give you a correction ?? shooter you are 1/2 target to the left--- thats gonna work. If the group is all reading of the same sheet music-- ffp, simply correct for the mil setting regardless of magnification. sfp works great for loners and target shooting.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 11:44
good explanation, dale.

J
luv2shoot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 12:44
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

your assumptions are correct- biggest advantage to FFP are in group shoots. If you have a spotter and you are both SFP , he is on 8 power and your on 12, how can be give you a correction ?? shooter you are 1/2 target to the left--- thats gonna work. If the group is all reading of the same sheet music-- ffp, simply correct for the mil setting regardless of magnification. sfp works great for loners and target shooting.

Thanks for the explanation. Believe I will stick with SFP since that is what I am used to and I have never done the group shoot.
Andy
Countryscape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countryscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 23:41

I just recieved the IOR 2.5 -10x FFP scope in the mail today. I've spent all evening playing around with this optic and just love it! I watched six deer feeding out tonight until dark, about 280 yard away. From a hunters standpoint (and I'm talking about setting up this scope with its MP-8 reticle for long range shooting), I think the FFP with this reticle is an advantage. I also think the new IOR's with the floating dot is most helpful. Also, the FFP reticle that I just recieved does not have the big blocky bars like the SFP so when you increase magnification, its not overwhelming at all.

As it got really close to dark, increasing the reticle between 8x and 10x allowed me to see the floating dot and reticle much easier than by using the illuminated reticle at lower magnification... Probably better without illumination.  With the IOR's bright optic, I could have harvested any of those deer well beyond legal shooting hours. Wouldn't have been able to do that with the SFP, period. What more is there to say from a hunting standpoint?

I ranged a big horse with my Leica at 650 yards and with the IOR scope set on 10x, the reticle seemed to be of perfect size and inabled me to clearly see the reticle and set the dot where I wanted it. For me, having a bigger reticle at longer distances is going to help. I have no doubt that you could easily shoot 1000 yards with the right rifle and this FFP scope. At the lower end of the magnification (2.5x), the reticle would be lost without the illuminated feature. But if you had a target in low light at really close range and didn't have to shoot fast,  it will work.

If you are wanting a hunting scope for quick jump shooting and thick brush, the MP-8 with the FFP would not be a good choice. I have other rifles setup for this kind of situation. I realize that alot of hardcore shooters require the FFP for estimating purposes and things more complicated than I can figure out.  But for me, after seeing the MP-8 with the SFP, I wanted the increased reticle that the FFP offered. This scope doesn't go beyond 10x and so with optics of higher magnifications maybe the FFP might be to bold? I can tell you this, at 10x, I think it is perfect.

One other thought. After looking through so many higher powered optics of lesser quality and much simpler reticles, I feel like this 10x is superior to scopes of higher magnification (namely American brands). My opinion, the MP-8 FFP reticle looks and feels natural at higher power I'm excited to  start burning powder!

Still have that MP-8 image ingrained in my mind... It's really sweet!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 11:17
I prefers FFP to SFP in mostly cases, espesially when hunting and using non illuminated scopes.

Regards Technika
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 13:24
I belive it depends a lot in what kind of hunting you do.
For long range/daylight the FFP might be a good option.
In close covers, moving game, dusk  and dawn hunting, I absolutely prefere the non magnifying SFP.
My favourite reticle in such a situation is the German#4 in a good SFP scope
I stands out bold and black against the background, and draw the focus to the center like a good ghost ring sight.  ( at least that is what work wonders for my aging eyes Thunbs%20Up )

Seawolf
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 13:57
Why do you prefers the non magnifying SFP in dusk and dawn?
When it's dark the reticle dissapears as it's to small.

Personally I stick to german no:1 as it's the only black reticle that is visiable when it's really dark. And the German no1 is far more precise and small when it comes to really accurate shots than the terrible no4 is.

Regards Technika
doctor duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 14:09
 FFP might be good for hunting but for targets and zeroing I don't care for it. I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3-12X56 with #8 reticle a few months ago. I was considering a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 or Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50 and I let my son talk me into the Conquest. There is no doubt better glass, brightness, clarity  and light gathering with  the Zeiss, but that gigantic reticle just takes the sparkle off it for me. Shooting targets at 100 yards is a chore. I have to make a 1/2" bold line vertically and horizontally to line up on. The crosshairs cover up a 1" circle bullseye at 100 yards. I am putting this scope for sale locally and hope to get most of my money back so I can get a scope more to my needs and wants. Be careful of those big growing crosshairs.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 14:37
Dokter duck

If the same scope have had German no 1 you would have been able to choose what side of the last bullet hole you should aim at.
But with no 4 and 8 you are instead covering the target and thus you can't aim very well.

Regards Technika
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 14:45
 Well,Technika If that is true and I'm not doubting you would it be worth  $120 to send it back to Zeiss for a reticle change? $90 for the reticle $15 to ship to and back. I love everything but that humongous reticle. Thinking about calling SWFA about atrad possibility.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 14:46
 Sorry should have said a trade not atrad.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 15:01

Technika I agree with you. The number 1 is my favorite also. it is just a big hassle to get it any more, plus the added expense.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 15:22
technika.
Hunting moose, red deer and occasionally a roe or two, I prefere the SFP/#4 reticle.
Using dogs the moose tend to come fast, and on our land with dense woods/timber, shots are usually lesser than 50 yards. 
I such situations I like to crank down the scope to 1,5 or 2,5 to give me a good field of view.

On a former FFP, S&B 1,5-6x42 I had,  the crosshairs tend to dissapear on the lowest setting, just when I needed them most.
We also have bear on our land, and the thought of getting a close encounter with a bruin and not be able to see the crosshairs...not very comforting.

Right now a Nikon Monarc Gold 1,5.6x42 with #4 sits on my 35 Whelen, and for me, this is an ideal combo for such hunting.

I even got the #4 on my Zeiss 8x56 used mostly for stand hunting red deer and roe on a Ruger No 1 in 270 Win.
On my 338 Winmag a Leupold VXIII 2,5.8x36 with #4 is equally good both in the woods back home as on plane games hunt in RSA.

So for me and the way I hunt, the #4 on the second focal plane simply works.
That dosn´t mean this is the gospel of truth for everyone.
Seawolf
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 15:26
I like the #1 in theory as well, and I tried to get it in a couple of scopes.  The problem is, it's very difficult to nearly impossible to find here in the US, even in used scopes.  Also, this reticle isn't available in many new scopes at all anymore.  So, in most cases, it simply isn't an option here.  Occasionally, you can find one in a used scope off ebay, but in new scopes, reticles like the #4A, 7A, #8, #9, and various plex reticles dominate here.

I don't understand why Technika referred to the #4 as "terrible."  It combines the highly visible thick posts of a #8 without the post in the 12:00 position so the FOV is less obscured, along with the relatively thin crosshairs of a typical plex in the center.  I've used the #4A quite a bit at night, and I've found it to be quite visible.

I prefer FFP reticles in big game hunting scopes for the low light visibility advantage and SFP reticles in varmint and target scopes because the lines remain thin at higher powers for precision aiming.  FFP reticles are also beneficial for range estimation with a milling reticle, where you can range your target on any magnification without conversion.  The #1 in FFP does allow for precision aiming as well since it comes to a sharp point, but it wouldn't be very good for holdover because the thick portion of the post would block too much of a long distance target.

Edited by RifleDude - March/07/2008 at 15:35
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 15:33
seawolf makes a good point.  A SFP reticle has advantages on a low powered variable, such as a dangerous game scope, where a FFP reticle gets extremely thin on the lowest magnifications.  S&B, for example, has started using a SFP reticle on its 1.1-4X24 model for this reason.  I haven't found this to be a problem on scopes with at least 6X on the upper end, though.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic