OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My BEEF w/ Bushnell!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My BEEF w/ Bushnell!!!
    Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:06
Yes!.......I have a beef with Bushnell!! My thoughts on the other thread prompted this new subject!................For the money the Elite 4200 line of scopes is probably near the top or at the top for being one of the best scopes on the market for the money. It`s no secret that I own one...................So! New this year from Bushnell is their new 6500 line of scopes, which imo, are totally useless for most carry in the field hunting rifles as they are too long and too heavy. But they are very good for varmit rifles, as their high end magnification starts at 16X...................My beef with Bushnell is that while they expanded their line to offer their new 6500 series, they for the most part, ignored or failed to properly expand and offer more of a selection in their 4200 line!...........Not enough selection in reticles and no selection of lower magnification DGR scopes with 1" tubes. Why in the world would they even consider discontinuing the most popular hunting variable ever, the 3x9, in their 4200 line?? Absolutely stupid!!!...............In the 4200 line, there are no 2x7`s, 2x8`s, 1.5x6`s, no 1x4`s  no objective bells smaller than 48mm OD, no straight tubed scopes in 1", and on and on!!............................The 4200`s for their limited selection, still offers the best scope for the buck! But Leupold sure offers a much broader selection in literally everything that a hunter/target shooter could ever ask for!!...........For selection, my hat is off to Leupold.Thunbs%20Up  I give credit where credit is due! To Bushnell, for coming out with the 6500 line (YUK) that most hunters will not buy while ignoring the 4200 line; they get a Thumbs%20Down,,,,and a,,, Loco,,,,and a,,,,,Whacko,,,,and a,,,,Roll%20Eyes,,,from me!!!   
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:19
WELL!
I was, at first, not very happy with the 6500. Regarding the size of the 2.5-16x42, I can't complain a whole lot. It is 17 oz. and 13.5" long which is not too bad for a big game rifle.
On the other hand I lament the loss of excellent optics in cost effective 3-4 power zoom scopes that both Bushnell and Nikon had offered. I see the same thing around the corner with my favorite, Kahles.

antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:21

Greed???? Loco

Cornering the market??Loco

All new scopes will flop this year, at least in the US, the weekend hunter can't afford the "newest and best thing" anymore with the stagnant US economy.  Bushnell is catering to hunters that still have money, an area they will fail miserably in!  My 2 cents.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:29
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

WELL!
I was, at first, not very happy with the 6500. Regarding the size of the 2.5-16x42, I can't complain a whole lot. It is 17 oz. and 13.5" long which is not too bad for a big game rifle.
On the other hand I lament the loss of excellent optics in cost effective 3-4 power zoom scopes that both Bushnell and Nikon had offered. I see the same thing around the corner with my favorite, Kahles.

Do you own a 6500?........If so? Sorry!.....But with the exception of varmit/target use, they are too over magnified for any realistic big game hunting use. 17 oz. may not seem like alot, but it can take its toll over a long days hunt. Imo, beyond paper punching and varmits, there is no other use for the 6500`s!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:31
I don't think the weekend hunter has ever been interested in the "newest and best thing".
I have a friend who just recently started hunting again and for him it was a revelation in equipment. He has recently bought 8x42 Razors and a 3-9 4200. It is not the newest nor the best, but a definite upgrade from his Simmons.
This same fellow also looked through a couple of my Kahles scopes and could tell a difference from his new Bushnell.
There is a niche for everyone. Some can grow, equipment wise, and some cannot. Whatever stage they are at, I want to see happy hunters.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:33
Big Squeeze, Bushnell does make a 1.25-4 straigt tube (although i don't see were it says whether it is 1" or 30mm)

This should be the whole 4200 selection offered.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:34

[/QUOTE] Do you own a 6500?........If so? Sorry!.....But with the exception of varmit/target use, they are too over magnified for any realistic big game hunting use. 17 oz. may not seem like alot, but it can take its toll over a long days hunt. Imo, beyond paper punching and varmits, there is no other use for the 6500`s![/QUOTE]

Hey, Big
I don't own a 6500. I'm still on a Kahles bender!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:36

Do you own a 6500?........If so? Sorry!.....But with the exception of varmit/target use, they are too over magnified for any realistic big game hunting use. 17 oz. may not seem like alot, but it can take its toll over a long days hunt. Imo, beyond paper punching and varmits, there is no other use for the 6500`s![/QUOTE]

Hey, Big
I don't own a 6500. I'm still on a Kahles bender!
[/QUOTE] ..................That`s good!.............
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:41
Well, I guess I could answer a few questions for you, but you might not  agree with Bushnell's logic or lack thereof. In the 4200 line, the 1.5-6x36 was discontinued because sales numbers no longer made it profitable for them to continue making this scope. Sad, because I think it's a very useful magnification range. Personally, I would have given it a little more eye relief considering the fact that this scope would probably find it's way onto some heavy kicking rifles/slug guns and such if it was marketed correctly from the get go. As far as the 3-9 4200 goes, I believe they thought it was going to cut into the sales of their 2.5-10x40 to much so and dropped it. I know, sounds stupid because the reason they introduced the 3-9 4200 was to have a player in their top of the line series 4200 to capture the sales of the 3-9 market. Confused, you should be. How someone at Bushnell's brain trust couldn't see that one coming I'll never know. Don't need a skin in your hand from Wharton to figure out that conflict. Not to mention, the pricing wizard's decision to set a price difference of almost $150. Shear genius I say. So, introducing a 3-9 in the 4200 series not only hurts the 2.5-10x40's, but, puts a dent in the 3200 3-9's as well. Shocking isn't it. As far as the 6500's are concerned, if they would loose some of the fat somewhere, I would get on line just for the heck of it. I'll make a prediction, it's sales will struggle. And you heard it here first from your's truly.  As far as Leupold is concerned, hey what the heck, they don't make a 3-9 or a 2-7 in the VXIII series because, well it would be stupid.

Edited by Roy Finn - March/05/2008 at 21:48
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:42
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Big Squeeze, Bushnell does make a 1.25-4 straigt tube (although i don't see were it says whether it is 1" or 30mm)

This should be the whole 4200 selection offered.
Helo....................Its a 30MM!!!! Did my homework on that one as I`m scoping my new Howa M1500 375 Ruger coming in late summer.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:45

I am sure you did do your homework.  And if you don't mind me asking, why do you not want a 30mm tube?  Extra weight of the scope and rings with nothing to gain for it?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 21:54

I don't think the weekend hunter has ever been interested in the "newest and best thing".
I have a friend who just recently started hunting again and for him it was a revelation in equipment. He has recently bought 8x42 Razors and a 3-9 4200. It is not the newest nor the best, but a definite upgrade from his Simmons.
This same fellow also looked through a couple of my Kahles scopes and could tell a difference from his new Bushnell.
There is a niche for everyone. Some can grow, equipment wise, and some cannot. Whatever stage they are at, I want to see happy hunters.

tahqua, you hit the nail on the head!  Happy hunters, that's all that matters.  I'm anxious to see if selling all my Leupolds will pay off, that's part of the game and I took the gamble.  I've hunted with Leupolds since 1995, first scope I'd ever owned and sold it for $30.00 less than I paid for it back in 95, along with many other Leupolds that I parted with.  It all comes down to "Right place, right time", no matter what you are hunting with.  I get caught up with the newest and best quite a bit, but, when you pull up to a check station, the biggest buck is typically taken with a Simmons or iron sightsLoco.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:04

I am sure you did do your homework.  And if you don't mind me asking, why do you not want a 30mm tube?  Extra weight of the scope and rings with nothing to gain for it?

Simple!............My Ruger Frontier compact uses the 1" rings now, as I use my Elite 3x9 4200 for that rifle on occassion. I will buy another 1" tubed scope for the 375 Ruger M1500, that I can ALSO use on the Frontier. That adds to my versatility with the ability to switch the scopes around without having to buy new 30mm rings for the 300 WSM Frontier!!...........
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:14
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Simple!............My Ruger Frontier compact uses the 1" rings now, as I use my Elite 3x9 4200 for that rifle on occassion. I will buy another 1" tubed scope for the 375 Ruger M1500, that I can ALSO use on the Frontier. That adds to my versatility with the ability to switch the scopes around without having to buy new 30mm rings for the 300 WSM Frontier!!...........
................Also, to add to the above, I see no big advantage in owning a 30mm scope! 1`ve never used them, never hunted with them and to me there is no real huge benefit in owning one. They are more expensive, heavier, and increases the rifles profile!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:15
Here are my thoughts on Bushnell.  Their reticle selection is poor, unless you want to send it back to have it change out for extra cost.  The magnifications selection lacks some options.  Doesn't bother me because I don't hunt with those anyway.  I think it is hard to beat the price for what you get.  The raingaurd is amazing.  As for the 6500, I like the idea of what they are doing.  I use both my 270 and 300 to do everything from hunting deer in the brush to shooting at 1000 yards, so having a scope with such a wide mag range is great.  For the average person, it isn't needed.  I would like to see alot more reticle selection, but maybe time will fix that.  Other than the lack of reticle selection problems, I think the 4200 and 6500 are great scopes.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:18
"Stick with Zeiss - It's OH SO NICE"  Big%20Smile
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:31

Here are my thoughts on Bushnell.  Their reticle selection is poor, unless you want to send it back to have it change out for extra cost.  The magnifications selection lacks some options.  Doesn't bother me because I don't hunt with those anyway.  I think it is hard to beat the price for what you get.  The raingaurd is amazing.  As for the 6500, I like the idea of what they are doing.  I use both my 270 and 300 to do everything from hunting deer in the brush to shooting at 1000 yards, so having a scope with such a wide mag range is great.  For the average person, it isn't needed.  I would like to see alot more reticle selection, but maybe time will fix that.  Other than the lack of reticle selection problems, I think the 4200 and 6500 are great scopes.
.........................As you say though, for the average JOE BLOW (person), the 6500 is not needed! As I said before, for paper punching, varmits and now, I`ll even throw in 1000 yard target shooting, the 6500 would serve those purposes well............Beyond that? Nope!.......I have always said that the 4200`s with the Rainguard are the best scopes on the market for the money! I have one!................If it were up to me, I would have concentrated on more 4200 improvements and selections in many areas, rather than putting a line, namely the 6500`s, on the market that IMO, will not sell as well vs. had more been put into the 4200 line!!............    
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:40
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

.........................As you say though, for the average JOE BLOW (person), the 6500 is not needed! As I said before, for paper punching, varmits and now, I`ll even throw in 1000 yard target shooting, the 6500 would serve those purposes well............Beyond that? Nope!.......I have always said that the 4200`s with the Rainguard are the best scopes on the market for the money! I have one!................If it were up to me, I would have concentrated on more 4200 improvements and selections in many areas, rather than putting a line, namely the 6500`s, on the market that IMO, will not sell as well vs. had more been put into the 4200 line!!............    

I have to agree with you on the development of the 4200 line.  They probably should have made that a higher priority than the 6500 just based on which would sell better.  If they had better reticle selection, and personally for me, 30mm tubes for the 4200 (i think they have a few) i might have bought it instead of the Burris XTR (although the new version has the stormcoat, a version of raingaurd supposedly).  But the Burris had what I wanted, and I have to admit, I am a big (ok really big) Burris fan.  I do own a 3-9x40 4200, and it is a great scope and I would recommend it to anyone that wants great glass for a great price.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:43
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

"Stick with Zeiss - It's OH SO NICE"  Big%20Smile
......................A low powered variable DGR Zeiss 30mm scope starts at a grand!.................The DGR low powered variable Leupy VX3 is $399!.................The Leupy will do the same thing as the Zeiss, whether on the range, in Alaska, in Africa, or anywhere else and under any conditions!..................  
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:50
Helo18,

I'm building a 270 and would like to know what kind of reliable range you are getting. And if you don't mind talking shop, what are you loading? It will give me some proven options and might save me some powder. What kind of groups are you getting on your max range? Right now I'm using Sierra 140hpbt that is great to 400yds. When the new one gets here I'll run that one and plan to try the Barnes Max-range 130gr and the Hornady 130gr
SP-interlock.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic