OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex riflescopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex riflescopes
    Posted: March/05/2008 at 13:56
Whats the deal with Vortex riflescopes?  As far a I can tell, they are an American company, but does anybody know where they are made, where the glass comes from and does anybody have any experience with them that would make you want to buy one instead of a tried and proven brand, of which there are multiple in that price range?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 15:17
Search is your friend.

Here is the latest, but there were quite a few discussion on this in the past as well:
http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9969&KW=vortex

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 15:19
They are a Wisconsin company........ I recently bought a Diamondback 4-12X40 for my kids .22-250.  The eye relief is pretty short and non-forgiving.  The glass seems decent, but I'm not an expert at judging glass by a long shot!  I decided to give it a try because of the price..... $189.95 for a 12x and it did NOT have AO or side focus.   It was easy to sight-in and the adjustments seemed to be right on.

We'll have to see how it performs in a hunting scenario, which will either be this spring/summer on P-Dogs or next winter on Coyotes. 
take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 15:19
cccombo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:05
I've got a 2-7x35 diamondback on its way,  will let you know how it goes
"In politics shared hatreds are almost always the basis of friendships."  --  Alexis de Tocqueville
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:09
I haven't ever seen the scopes in person.  They are reportedly made in the Phillipines, and there is some conjecture that they may be produced in the same facility as the Nikon Monarch.

I can tell you that Vortex is out of Middleton, Wisconsin, and they seem to be a well-run, honorable company with a reputation of treating customers well.  I have their 8X42 Razor binocular, which is a fantastic roof prism binocular!  All of their products have a lifetime warranty.  While Vortex is a new brand, the company has been producing optics for many years under the Eagle brand name, so the company itself isn't new.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:45
Not really a conjecture any more.  One of the people at Vortex confirmed that Viper scopes are made in the same plant as the Monarch.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:50
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I haven't ever seen the scopes in person.  They are reportedly made in the Phillipines, and there is some conjecture that they may be produced in the same facility as the Nikon Monarch.

I can tell you that Vortex is out of Middleton, Wisconsin, and they seem to be a well-run, honorable company with a reputation of treating customers well.  I have their 8X42 Razor binocular, which is a fantastic roof prism binocular!  All of their products have a lifetime warranty.  While Vortex is a new brand, the company has been producing optics for many years under the Eagle brand name, so the company itself isn't new.

I have heard bits and pieces but this is the first I've heard of the Middleton, Wisconsin connection.  This is very interesting to me, as  Middleton is where I attended High School, and is only 45 minutes from where I live now.
 I'll see if I can find out anything about them!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 19:35
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I have heard bits and pieces but this is the first I've heard of the Middleton, Wisconsin connection.  This is very interesting to me, as  Middleton is where I attended High School, and is only 45 minutes from where I live now.

2120 West Greenview Dr., Middleton, WI 53562, 800-426-0048

I've talked to a couple of their people on several occasions, and they seem like really nice folks!  They were very helpful in answering my questions when I was considering buying the Razor binocular (which is the only Vortex product I own).  If you happen to run into Tim Austin, tell him I said hello.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 19:55
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

2120 West Greenview Dr., Middleton, WI 53562, 800-426-0048

I've talked to a couple of their people on several occasions, and they seem like really nice folks!  They were very helpful in answering my questions when I was considering buying the Razor binocular (which is the only Vortex product I own).  If you happen to run into Tim Austin, tell him I said hello.

Apparently they have a showroom.  I'll have to make a it point to check it out one of these days. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 20:07
Most impressive, Ron.
You are at the Vortex of the optics universe. You are the inside man! Hopefully they will let you get past the showroom. Let them know that you belong to O.T., and I bet they will!
I have recently had some good experience with their Razor 8x42 binoculars. I very much look forward to your report.

Thanks,
Doug

Edited by tahqua - March/05/2008 at 20:07
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 20:37
 Well, I really don't know when I'll be able to get over there. I'll let you know as soon as I do, though!
 Stand by ready to send Lawyers, Guns and MONEY!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 22:42
ask them to put a little more eye relief in their Diamondback line!  Please.
take em!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 07:05
Thanks guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic