OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Full camo or stock only

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full camo or stock only
    Posted: March/05/2008 at 05:25
I am thinking of having a camo job done on my varminter. Should one do a full camo job, ie scope barrel, action the works, or just the stock. Any opinions?
 I post a pic of my rifle, and below that the camo job I have in mind.

Edited by 8shots - March/05/2008 at 05:57
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 08:22

Camo it all,scope,rings,base,barrel,stock. If your going to do it go all out.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 08:49
I second that!
take em!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 09:03
My opinion would be to buy a after market camo stock and leave the action, barrel and scope stock.  My reasoning is this, if you ever intend to sell this fire arm the resale value will decrease with the full camo job, camo jobs are very personal, so you will also limit the amount of people interested in your piece.  On the other hand, if you intend on keeping the rifle for ever, full camo would probably the way to go.  Just another opinion the choice is yours to make.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 12:31
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

My opinion would be to buy a after market camo stock and leave the action, barrel and scope stock.  My reasoning is this, if you ever intend to sell this fire arm the resale value will decrease with the full camo job, camo jobs are very personal, so you will also limit the amount of people interested in your piece.  On the other hand, if you intend on keeping the rifle for ever, full camo would probably the way to go.  Just another opinion the choice is yours to make.

You've also limited the camo scope to that one camo rifle.

This is just me but I like only the stock colored camo and everything else, scope included, left alone for a hunting rifle. Example: I love the desert camo stock that Weatherby offers and the  black matte for everything else just makes things looks sharp. The second pic of yours with the camo stock looks great too. If it were a sniper or assault rifle with specialized scope. sure, camo everything. Thunbs%20Up

Good luck with your choice!!

Edited by mike650 - March/05/2008 at 20:53
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 14:34
Do the camo stock only. Many go overboard a have a rifle that is completely camo`d, even the scope!!..............That is too much!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 14:54
8shots, your choice but I would do rifle only - really like that camo pattern in your picture.
God save the Empire!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 15:39
I like them either way myself, I prefer if it's a Tactical rifle that if you camo, you camo all of it.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 01:52
Thanks for your input. I am leaning to doing the stock only. It just seems wrong to paint over a $1100 scope. I intend keeping the rifle. I never sell anything  that is paid for.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 06:22
 make it a one of a kind rifle go all out. if something dose happen to the scope some years from now then you will still have the stock,action,barrel painted that will still look really good. all will be well ether way. I just think everything matching is a sweet deal. But thats me and my thought witch ain't much.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 08:04

I approached this same issue myself on a Browning Stainless Stalker of mine. I stuck with doing the stock only . I also resisted doing the scope for the same reason as you--just didn't seem right to purposely dunk an expensive optic, even if it didn't really do any damage ( plus due to the camo job it would be permanently "paired" to the camoed rifle ).

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 09:57
Thanks for all the advice. I found the perfect camo job!

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 12:48
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Looks like your not going with the camo'ed scope look!! Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 01:04

I like them either way, but I would base my decision on weather or not this rifle is to be used for predator hunting or not. What is the caliber of this VS 700 8shots?  If it was mine & would be used for predators, then I would go full camo.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 01:51
It is a 308Win and will be used for field target shooting.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 16:56
It is usually the straight black barrel that shows in the brush. To only do the stock would not gain much cover, but it would be less problematic later. Some of that paint is very hard to remove if there is ever a decision to remove it. 

What scope did you decide on?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 20:03
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Do the camo stock only. Many go overboard a have a rifle that is completely camo`d, even the scope!!..............That is too much!

If you're goal is to impress your friends, perhaps.
 If your goal is to reduce glare and stay hidden from sharp-eyed game animals, birds, predators, and in some cases human enemies, you cannot over-camo.
 Don't forget an ARD, either.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 22:55
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Looks like the perfect camo for going hunting in a topless bar!!  Big%20Grin
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 02:42
My goal in camo is to make the rifle look more business like. The rifle is intended for use on the target range and not really for hunting. I am hoping that if I take this camoed rifle out of the rifle bag it will scare my opposition Sh3ttless and I will walk away with the honours!
The truth is that the rifle stock finish on the Rem700VSF don't impress me much and it just may look cool to have it camoed. So it is purely for the looks.

I bought a scope a year ago: Leupold 8,5-25x50

Edited by 8shots - March/11/2008 at 02:43
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2008 at 13:08
Whooweee!   Getting up close and personal.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic