OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best possible scope-low light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best possible scope-low light
    Posted: November/23/2004 at 19:09

I am in the market for a new scope and havn't bought one ever...  They have always been hand me downs.  I hunt mostly white tail and most shots in the 100-350 range. I am currently using a Leopold M8-6X scope whatever that means.  It is pretty accurate but is sub par when it comes to low light(dusk) as I can glass animals with my binoculars (bushnell 7 x35)but not see them through the scope.  I am pretty unknowledgable when it comes to scopes but have already missed shots on a trophy axis and the biggest whitetail buck I have seen in 15 years do to low light and am still quite sick about the whole ordeal.   I would guess put them up in 2 categories... price no option and under 600 and info you can give me about scopes would be great.  Thanks

obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2004 at 20:26

Here is a little more info that may be pertinent.  I am putting it on a Manlicher Schecenhauer Mod.1950 .270 bolt action.  My current scope is mounted on a Weaver side 1" bracket.(It has peep site underneath). 

Am considering the following scopes considering that they are in the same category pricewise.

Bushnell 3200 Firefly-$230

Nikon Monarch - 300

Weaver Grand Slam - 250

Burris FF II Ballistic Plex - 300

I

Edited by obi-wan
obi-wan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obi-wan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2004 at 21:49
one last thing.  I have seen where the Monarch and the Bushnell 4200 have been compared quite a bit, but pricewise the Monarch is more similar to the 3200.  If the quality on that Nikon is that much better I would think that it would be hands down better than the weaver/burris/3200.  Even though I do like the firefly.  The 4200 is @ 430.00 is it not and is more simliar to the Conquest /XV-III / lightseeker?
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 01:23
Hey obi-won, you ought to check out a Swarovski 3-10 or a Kahles 3-9 on the Sample List.  You might be able to get one there for about what you'd pay for a top of the line Bushnell or Nikon.  Those scopes you mention are very good scopes for the money, I also have a Bausch&Lomb 2.5-10 (now Bushnell) that is awesome and quite probably the best bang for the buck out there! 
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 09:17
If you have the extra cash get the Swaro a-line 3-10x42.....the best light gatherer I have personally ever seen. 
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 12:56

ditto, check out the swaro a line.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 14:56

Swarovski American Light Weights

Not only one of the best but definitely the best value of the top scopes.

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 16:05

If you want good low light performance you must choose an european scope with 30mm tube and an exit pupil at least 7mm in the most used magnification. In fixed scopes could be a 6x42 a 7x50 or 8x56 , in variables if you want high power you need a big objetive lens ( 50- 56mm). The reticle for low light is the number 8 ( like the duplex but with heavier post) the number 4 an the number 1. Also you can choose a model with illuminated reticle.

Best low light scopes at moderate prices are: meopta, Docter, ior hunting and burris euro diamond;

Of course the most expensive zeiss, khales, swarovski, s&b, gherardt (all with only with 30mm tube)are winners, but they cost a lot....   

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2004 at 17:25
Swarovski uses the same glass and coatings in their American 1" scopes and their 30mm Austrian made Professional Hunter scopes.  Same light transmission.
power-strings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power-strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2004 at 22:31
Yeah, from what I understand a 30mm does not give you more light transmission but more windage and elevation adjustment.  Typically hunters have plenty of adjustment with 1" tubes.  Also most people will tell you that a 50mm objective gives no more light advantage than I believe a 42mm objective.  However, I prefer the 50mm for whitetail hunting, maybe its the field of view, don't know but I just like it.  However I'm waiting on a zeiss conquest 4.5x14x44mm for 270.  When I get it I should be able to tell if its as good as a 50mm for me.  If it aint  well then I will sale it to you and get me a big head tube..
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2004 at 09:33
30mm tubes are stronger than 1"
I dropped my S&B mounted on my heavy sako about 5 feet out of a tree and it hit the occular portion of the scope and didnt change POI nor mark the scope
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2004 at 13:20

I fell 10' out of a tower blind onto a pile of rocks with my rifle between me and the rocks.  My 1" scope was still dead on.  Did I also mention that my daddy could beat up your daddy?  I do agree with you that a 30mm is stronger than a 1", but I think it only really matters in a military environment where the scope is constantly getting banged up.  As far as hunting situations go, I think that there are more pros than cons in favor of the 1" tube.  I do like small 30mm scopes on dangerous game rifles, say a 1-4x24 or so.

ranburr 

Sako .308 Win View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako .308 Win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2004 at 00:26
Obi-Wan I will give you some advice. Go with a Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender, or Swarovski if you want the best possible low light hunting scope. If you are shooting under 300 yards then a 42mm objective will suit you fine because in a 1.5-6X42 the 6power is plenty of magnification at 300 yards and you still have a 7mm exit pupil. The only way you will ever need a 50 mm or 56mm objective is for shots over 300 yards since you will need to crank up the magnification and still maintain a large exit pupil to make low light shots and identify your target. That is the only advantage of a big objective and most people can't hit a target accurately at 300 yards especially in low light. ?I know the American way is bigger is better but not when it comes to riflescopes. The scopes I mentioned use the very best glass an very best coatings plus the reticle magnifys as you crank up the magnification making it easier to see your reticle in low light.  I use a Zeiss VM/V 1.5-6X42 T* and it is excellent in low light and this is the right power scope for me because where I hunt all my shots are 100 yards and closer. Remember the expensive optics are not very expensive when you need them in a low light situation on a trophy they will be worth every penny and then some.  Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic