OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Classic Target Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowprone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Target Scopes
    Posted: March/04/2008 at 19:28
I have a 1949 Winchester M70 Target in 30.06 and have had a lot of fun shooting Highpower, over the
years. However my eyes are turning these matches into seeing contests, not shooting contests.
I have read about and watched F-Class matches and it looks like a lot of fun. I have studied vintage
Shooters Bible articles on period scopes, and the Unertl 14X 1.5 Target, Lyman Super Target Spot in 12X,
or 15X, or Redfield 3200 in 12X, or 16X look like the perfect scopes to mount on my Winchester.
My question is which of these scopes has the best reputation for quality, clarity, longevity as they are all
40 plus years old now. Want to keep my Winchester a period piece as benefits a classy lady such as it is.
lowprone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowprone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:01
I guess nobody here is old enough to know what these are.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:27
Welcome to Optics Talk!
I'm sorry you didn't get the response you were looking for, but I hope you'll stay around.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:40
 Oh, I think there are a few guys around here old enough to remember them!
 The hard part is going to be finding a real good one at a fair price, and then finding correct mounts/bases for it.
 I think the consensus regarding quality is that the best glass of yesteryear is only fair by today's standards.  Optics really have come along way.
 Having said that, you are to be commended for keeping the period theme iintact with that rifle, and if you shop around, you should be able to put together a great rig. Try Ebay and Gunbroker. com.  I wish you the best of luck with this project.
lowprone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowprone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 20:03
Why thank you gentlemen
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 17:16
Ebay usually has a steady flow of the Unertl and with the prices they fetch that should tell the quality. At UT Martin the rifle team had one 32 power that was used to test which rifles shot the best, for selecting which rifles were used for competion and or practice. That was in 1970.
When you say it fast it wasn't so long ago.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Hank45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 16:40
Hello, my name is Hank45 and I am new to this forum and I want to mount my six (6) power Unertal and my twelve (12) power Unertal scopes to the same barrel. My question is what is the precise distance between the bases and can I use both scopes with the same measurement?  Thank you for your answer  Hank45
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 17:05

I do not understand the question. If you have both scopes measure them. Any spacing along the tube that is clear on both scopes should work. Unless you are trying to mount both scopes at the same time?????

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Hank45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 18:24
3-tens, I am sorry that I did make my answer clear what I want to know is what is the center to center measurement of the scope blocks to have the bullet hit the bull is it 7.200 or is it 7.250 inches?  Thanks for your answer  Hank45
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 19:26
Originally posted by Hank45 Hank45 wrote:

3-tens, I am sorry that I did make my answer clear what I want to know is what is the center to center measurement of the scope blocks to have the bullet hit the bull is it 7.200 or is it 7.250 inches?  Thanks for your answer  Hank45

I do not know the answer, but I will attempt to explain what your question is, to others who may know the answer!

With an adjustable- base Target system mounting a fixed-reticle scope, the rear base turret is calibrated to move the tube a certain angular distance per click, 1/4 Moa for example.
 This can work out only if the front and rear bases are the distance apart that the manufacturer designed it to be.
 If your bases are 14 inches apart on the system designed for a 7-inch spacing, you will only get 1/8 MOA movement on the target, instead of the1/4 it was designed to do. Again, this is an (extreme) example for illustrative purposes only.

I think this is what you are asking and apologise if not.
You will be able to get a zero regardless. It just may not track at the desired values if the base /ring spacing is significantly altered from designed spacing. The difference between 7 inches and 7.250 inches would be very insignificant, however.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 19:59
Originally posted by lowprone lowprone wrote:

I guess nobody here is old enough to know what these are.

I know these scopes I think the Unertl is the best of the bunch ...next up would be the lyman...then maybe a bushnell balfor/balvor ,,how ever you prefer all of these scopes are available on gun broker or under vintage scopes I believe? good luck and nice rifle and Welcome to the OPTICS TALK.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:18
 So Looney, am I correct in assuming that they are designed with specific click values, as I posted? Or do they just click randomly for the shooter to figure out the MOA value himself?
 I really haven't used one that I recall, so I am speculating a bit with my previous post.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:25
In theory yes but these scopes were used on many a different guns I don't think the spacing is all that critical though I could be wrong  the adjustment is up to the user to figure as you posted I do not own one right now but have used them  and shot other guns with them. the new Malcolm scopes for black powder guns use external adjustments as well , so one could look up info on these and go from there. 

Edited by rifle looney - April/30/2009 at 20:26
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:33
  Thanks.
 I checked Gunbroker-there are quite a few Unertls.  They have a rear base with graduations on both turrets, but no indication of what those graduations represent.
 (Big bucks wanted for one found in an attic in a wooden shipping box and wrapped in newspapers from the 1940'S!)
 It looks almost new...

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 21:15
I don't recall the click value on the mounts but that is what they do as you know,  they don't really click they just turn. and yes if you want one with box and papers you pay $$$$$ 
Hank45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 10:14
3_ten, I spoke to Mr. Parsons at Parson Optical Service about the base spacing on the barrel and he said that the Unertl Target Scope spacing was 7.20 center to center and that the turret clicks were 1/4 MOA at 100 yards. Hank45
Beer is living proof the GOD loves us and wants us to be happy. Benjamin Franklin
iwilder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2009 at 11:27
lowprone:

Besure and check that the scope yo select has teh return spring removed.  These scopes have very short eye relief (2"-3").  Removing the return spring allows the rifle to recoil away from the scope and prevent the scope from hitting your eye.  You have to return the scope to battery by hand.  I have an old Winchester 5A scope on a 52 Winchester that is fun to play with.  The Winchester 5A is the predecessor to the Lyman A5 scope.  No problems with recoil on a .22LR.

Good luck

Ike
Ike
rick983 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2009 at 12:23
I have shot precision rifles for 40+ years and one that has always rose above the others is Unertl. These are the classic target scopes and even today, thay bring $750 and more for a clean one. I have owned 8 or 9 over the years and have never had a single problem. Don't worry about the initial cost, because when you go to sell your Unertl, I'll bet you will sell it for more than you paid. Great classic American scopes. Smile
Only accurate rifles are interesting.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2009 at 03:00
Wow, this is some real vintage stuff being discussed. Even an old dog is never to old to learn! Round about the time these scopes were used we all shot iron sights only!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic