OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trigger Pull Gage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trigger Pull Gage
    Posted: March/04/2008 at 12:43
Which brand do you recommend and why?  Is there much of a difference? 
So far I have found:  
Lyman Trigger Pull Gage Electronic Digital 0 to 12 lb for about $47.99
RCBS Trigger Pull Gage Premium 2 oz to 8 lb for about $35.99
take em!
luv2shoot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 15:15
I just got the Lyman a week ago and am pleased with it so far, easy to use, easy to read display, stores away neatly and compact in its own case.

Never used the RCBS.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 00:33
I've had good luck with the Lyman.  It's extremely important to position and pull the trigger exactly the same way every time - slow steady pull.  It seems to work best to have the butt of the rifle on a sturdy table and the muzzle pointed straight up.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 06:10
Tip

Lyman Trigger Pull Gage Electronic Digital 0 to 12 lb for about $47.99 .......+2 this is a good product. And with it going to 12 pounds you can weight the large mouth bass at the lake with it. Kind of a 2 for 1 deal.

In all honestly It is a durable (if i haven't broke it yet) item. I use mine daily and it is very consentient

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 09:11
Does anybody have any experience with the RCBS?
take em!
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 10:13
 I have the RCBS. You don't get the same reading every time , you have to have it in the same position on the trigger and the readings are pretty close. Gives you a fair average.
 It works for me, but i'm no gunsmith.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 11:00
Lyman +2. It is what we use here.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 01:09
Originally posted by timber timber wrote:

I've had good luck with the Lyman.  It's extremely important to position and pull the trigger exactly the same way every time - slow steady pull.  It seems to work best to have the butt of the rifle on a sturdy table and the muzzle pointed straight up.
  Got to agree with timber, pull trigger exactly the same place and at the same angle with stock on a hard surface. Pull 10 times, then hit your average button.Wink
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 11:04
thanks guys..... The Lyman it is!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 11:59
Bought the Lyman yesterday.  Gonna see what my Savage Accu-Triggers are set at and see about lowering them a little.  I thought they were pretty good until I got my 700 trigger done!
take em!
HunterJim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunterJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2008 at 17:58
I use the Lyman, and usually measure trigger pull with the rifle laid flat. Do several readings and use the average capability.

I also use mine to weigh rifles.

jim
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic