OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NIKON MONARCH QUESTION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIKON MONARCH QUESTION
    Posted: March/03/2008 at 17:58

I have been seeing some good deals on the 5.5-16.5x44 scopes.I also noticed an unusually large amount of them advertised as refurbished.My question is if anyone knows about reliability issues with this model?

Thanks,
Rock
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 16:30
No-one with any experience with one of these scopes?
Good or bad I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks,
Rock
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 19:17
I have used the scope in question. Had a Nikoplex reticle and was on a buddy's Browning Medallion 7mm Mag.
I liked it. Good power range too.  

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 21:19
A friend of mine has one and he really likes it.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 07:35
Whew,Thanks for the response guy's.Thought I was gonna strike out.I've always gotten good help at this site before.
OK Here's the deal.It's getting down to one of the above mentioned scopes slightly used or a new Bush Elite 4200 4-16x40 which looks like it will be about $100 more than the Nikon but still under $400
All opinions will be taken into account.This is for my wife's HOWA 270 btw.
Thanks,
Rock
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 09:11
You mentioned this is for your wife's gun........ does that mean she'll be the one shooting it?  If its for her and she has a normal female frame, I would highly recommend something with more eye relief for two reasons.  1.  So she doesn't get banged and 2. So she doesn't have to do the stock crawl.  I just went thru this with my son and the smaller framed folks really have issues with the shorter eye relief scopes and getting a good view thru the scope when they pull it up.  My son's gun was a 22-250 which he uses for varmit hunting, so the stock crawl and recoil isn't a big deal.  But on a big rifle, I'm going with a 3-9X40 Conquest and its 4" of ER.  Just a thought to keep in mind.
take em!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 13:48
Why such a high magnification on a 270?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 15:21
That scope is NOT a real good big game scope, friend.
Better for varmints or target shooting, IMO.

Eye relief on the ones I have used was pretty good and both scopes were on fairly heavy recoil rifles. I'm a stock crawler from hell too.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 15:36
Originally posted by ROCKMAN57 ROCKMAN57 wrote:

I have been seeing some good deals on the 5.5-16.5x44 scopes.I also noticed an unusually large amount of them advertised as refurbished.My question is if anyone knows about reliability issues with this model?

Thanks,
Rock

I have this scope On a 300winmag. I use it for deer hunting and shooting just about anything from yotes to coke bottles. it has great clear glass the power range lets me pull crows in from 400+ yards to see there eyes moving around. I love mine. I'm actually thinking of getting another to put on a 30-06. Mine has the BDC ret in it. As for being refurbished I wouldn't worry one bit about getting one from SWFA. It is a great scope.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 19:07

Thanks Big Daddy.Guess the way I look at it guys is I usually hunt on 4pwr in the woods so I'm not really losing anything on the low end and my 6-18x40 luppy really helped my shooting at the range down on the 200 yd end because I could see the bull a little better and now wifey wants something comparable to mine?hehehe No science there.            Thanks for the help all

Rock
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 05:51
Originally posted by ROCKMAN57 ROCKMAN57 wrote:

Thanks Big Daddy.Guess the way I look at it guys is I usually hunt on 4pwr in the woods so I'm not really losing anything on the low end and my 6-18x40 luppy really helped my shooting at the range down on the 200 yd end because I could see the bull a little better and now wifey wants something comparable to mine?hehehe No science there.            Thanks for the help all

Rock

Rock,

The 5.5x16.5x44 really is a great scope. If I’m hunting thick brushy stuff I keep it on 5.5 and I haven't found and place I have hunted where it would be to much power and that’s been from Ga up to Mich and in-between. The 16.5 really dose let you see a long long way. When I first got mine in the mail I looked thru it and was amazed. I called just about everyone I know and made them come and look thru it. As for the BDC they are right in the money for my 300win mag. I would take the 270 of yours out and shoot it at different yardages and make sure it is hitting where it should.

let us know what you decide on. Then as a newbie you have got to post pic's of said new scope and rifle

Welcome to the OT if I didn't tell you yesterday

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - March/06/2008 at 05:58
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 14:42
Hey Bigdaddy,
Actually,I've been a member a little over a year.I'm just the strong silent type.Was active when I first came seeking advice for scoping my rifle.I ended up with a Leupold so you can tell I don't listen to good.Have a Sightron on my daughters rifle and wanted to replace that redfield on wifey's more to see if the hype about the Nikon Monarch and Bushnell Elite 4200's is true or not.
I promise I will post a pic of all three once I get wife's new one mounted.

Rock
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic