OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shoot-off: Tikka T3 vs Savage Weather Warrior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoot-off: Tikka T3 vs Savage Weather Warrior
    Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:26
After further review, it looks like a .308 instead of the 7mm 08.  I can purchase a reduced recoil load, or go all the way to a 180 grain Nosler Partition "High Energy" cartridge.  Not to mention loading my own.

That would bring me to two options:  The Tikka T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic or the Savage Weather Warrior.  Which one?  Your opinions please!  That means Big Squeeze and Ed too! 
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:27
tough choice on the rifle, i would take the tikka i guess
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:30
Pyro, I am leaning in that direction, but the first thing that goes on would be a Limbsaver!  And the Tikka is already more expensive, but not the final determinate. 
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:31
the thing about the tikka i like is the detachable magazine, i like the accutrigger though its a nice tool to have
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:34

The Tikka is a lot of gun for the money. The action is strong, smooth and the trigger is no slouch, either.

In the short action they handle real sweet. My brother has the .243 and I like it a lot. It is sub-moa with factory fodder.

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:36
Both are good shooters.
MOJO
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 23:36
its close, but I'd go with the Tikka..... because of the action!  Its close only because of the accu-trigger.
take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 12:34
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The Tikka is a lot of gun for the money. The action is strong, smooth and the trigger is no slouch, either.

Yeah, what Doug said.
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 12:44
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

After further review, it looks like a .308 instead of the 7mm 08.  I can purchase a reduced recoil load, or go all the way to a 180 grain Nosler Partition "High Energy" cartridge.  Not to mention loading my own.

That would bring me to two options:  The Tikka T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic or the Savage Weather Warrior.  Which one?  Your opinions please!  That means Big Squeeze and Ed too! 

I've owned a Tikka T-3 ss/lam and it is a very nice gun. But I simply hate the idea of a s/a cartridge like the .308 being put in a long action, like the T3. There is no s/a in the T3 like the Sako line has, that's why that series is less expensive(using the same barrels). I've heard nothing but good things of Savages from the owners of the new accu-trigger models, and of course you get a true short action as well. BOTH are fine rifles, likely outshoot a Rem 700 or mod 7 in .308.
We are all responsible for leaving the same legacy of rights and freedoms we have to our children and grandchildren!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 12:50
Originally posted by edsguns edsguns wrote:

BOTH are fine rifles, likely outshoot a Rem 700 or mod 7 in .308.

WHOA!!!
Outshoot a Remington 700?!?!?!?! Shocked
Lets not get crazy here, friend. Wink J/K

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 12:51
The Accutrigger is a nice upgrade for a factory trigger, and I applaud Savage for making it.  It produces a nice, clean, crisp pull.  However, I must be in the minority, because I don't particularly care for it.  I find the extra lever in the center of the trigger to be annoying from the standpoint of "feel," and I would personally rather have a Sharp Shooter Supply or Rifle Basix aftermarket trigger on the Savage than the Accutrigger.  If I had a Savage with Accutrigger, I would remove it and replace with one of the very good aftermarket options, which produce a better trigger pull than the Accutrigger.

If the rifle is for big game hunting, I would rather have the Tikka, as I much prefer the Tikka action to the Savage action.  However, Savage makes really good barrels, and their action is more easily customized.  In a varmint rifle, I'd go for the Savage because their varmint rifles will frequently outshoot most competing rifles costing more.

Edited by RifleDude - March/03/2008 at 12:52
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 12:54
I don't care for the Accutrigger either, Ted. 
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 13:15
Keep it coming guys.  The VIP's like Squeezer and Ed have yet to be heard from!  I think that they are avoiding me, because I am their elder.  HEE HEE HEE!    It's too bad that the Tikka is not a true short action, which I was aware of before my post.  Seems dumb.  Twice as much money (Sako) to get a true short action? 

Also there is the Tikka issue of an integral base, for the scope.  I think that I have that figured out using Warne Steel Rings (2TM).  I like the looks better than the Talley.  Millets are out.  Leupolds are out.  And no need to purchase additional bases to go on the existing base, with the Warne's, right?

Both are suppose to shoot MOA right out of the box?

mojo   
MOJO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 13:23
A buddy at my range has a Tikka in .308 and it's a sub MOA rifle WITH handloads.
The Savage is going to shoot nice too, but like Ted say's, the Tikka would be a better hunting rifle.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 13:42
tikka is amazing for the money - i have the T3 in a 7mm08 and it's a joy to shoot.

action is supurb and trigger is really good for the $$$.

i debated between the 308 and the 7mm08, and chose the 7mm08 for the ballistics and lack of recoil for whitetail deer.  The ballistics inside 300 are very very close, if not better w/ the 7mm08 - but you can't throw a heavy heavy bullet w/ it. All in all, very happy with the tikka.

J
J

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 14:30
Yea, it's too bad that I can't get a Tikka in 7mm 08 in the USA,  Europe yes, USA no.  The problem of being left handed.  That is okay, because I do not have anything to throw at whatever, more than 160 grains (basically with my .270, and .280) so having the 30 cal. is good anyway.  

Thanks for all of the input, but the good old boys are making me wait.
MOJO
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 15:03
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

.....................................Big Squeeze and Mr. Ed too??? I appreciate that!........I have no experience with either rifle, so it would be a matter of your own personal preference in appearance, handling, weight and so on! Between those two, I`ll remain neutral in the rifle dept..................The .308 IMO, gives better all around versatility to include heavier bullets than the 7mm-08 and is better for the larger game. From the varmits to medium sized game, the 7mm-08 is a slightly better choice............Good decision though in going with the .308...................
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 19:12
Value your input Squeezer!!!!  I don't always agree with you, like Ed does, OOOOOps...but you don't mince words on your opinions, and your candour is worth a lot.  
MOJO
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 19:16
 It's pretty tough to beat a .308 for just about anything.  That cartridge really has it all, especially for a handloader.
 I would deliberately get it in a long action if given a choice.  The slight difference in length means little in terms of handling qualities unless you are building a true featherweight.
 A long action often feeds smoother, depending on the cartridge, plus you retain the option of rechambering to an .30-06 after the throat is shot out or rebarrelling to any long action cartridge you choose at a later date.
 Edited to add;
 Savages are great
 Tikkas are a wee bit greater.

Edited by RONK - March/03/2008 at 19:20
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 19:34
Thanks for making me feel better about the long action .308, RONK.  Does Ace in Sauk City carry Tikka's?  Gander?  I think I handled a couple in Scheels in E.C. 
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic