OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1.1-4x24 Kahles range day, ouch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.1-4x24 Kahles range day, ouch
    Posted: March/02/2008 at 15:40

Last weekend I had the opportunity to shoot my Remington .375 H&H with a Kahles 1.1-4x24 C I mounted on it recently. I mounted it in Talley QD 30mm rings. I also bore sighted it using a BSA bore sighter, more on that in a minute.

Also along was my friend who had recently purchased his Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 and Warne mounts from SWFA. He had used a Simmons 44Mag the last two years and couldn't see for the shot at last legal light. He is very happy with his new set up. He has also just returned to the hunting scene and after shooting my .375 wants a bolt gun. He has a very nice set up on that Remington 30.06 742, though.

First, the BSA bore sighter had both of our guns off the B-8 target @100yds. Mine was 16" to the right, the 30.06 was right 16" and down 12". I can do better with lining up the cross hairs with my barrel sighted on some tape on the wall. Another friend has the Leupold unit and it got us inside the 8 ring both times I am familiar with. The Leupy is also compact and easy to carry in my range kit. It is the unit I am going to buy.

On to the .375. The Talley QD's went on without a hitch. I always check that the front shoulder of both rings are seated against the bases. I used a .001" feeler and they were good to go.

The scope has the clarity I have come to expect from Kahles C models. It is great and my friend, who is getting the hang of things, even commented on it's brightness and clarity compared to his 4200. The 4A reticle will give me all the precision I will need for this caliber. For the longer range shots I still prefer the 7A on another Kahles I have. The 4A is also a bit quicker to acquire than the 7A, BTW.

Shooting and sighting in was another thing, though. The adjustments are 1.5mm/click @100m. My friend was doing conversions for the adjustments on his cell phone. Well, things went down hill from there. I punched the numbers in on my cell phone. By the time I was back where I wanted to be I had shot nine times out of my 8 1/2 lb. Remington Classic. I fired two more three shoot strings for grouping. I was kind of ticked so I shot three in rapid succession, waited a few minutes, then shoot three more.

I can say that when I got my conversions down pat the scope moved POI exactly as figured. My shooting was not so good as I have shot 1/2 moa with the same factory rounds before.

Overall I am really happy with my new set up and I am really looking forward to meeting a large bear with it.

Like I said, I wasn't happy with my shooting. It wasn't the gun or the optics, just me and a bruised shoulder. A .375 H&H is not a bench gun.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 16:43
 Great Range Report, Doug!
 Are you sure about those click values, though?  That's about 1/16 inch per click @ 100 yards. (Roughly...)
  I thought 1/8 inch was too fine for most anything except benchrest target work.  !.5 mm seems crazy fine for a dangerous game scope.  Not that it really matters if it tracks the way it is designed to.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 16:44

Thank you for your good review, Doug. Looks like the perfect setup.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 17:00
Sorry and you are correct, Ron. It's 1.5 cm per click.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 17:25
 Okay.  Yeah, that's more practical.  That would work out to about 5/8 inch or so..
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 17:41
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Thank you for your good review, Doug. Looks like the perfect setup.

Thanks, Mark, I'm really happy with it.
I guess I must still have a few screws loose from my range session and can't tell the difference between a mm and a cm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 18:11
Yeah, I can see where that hoss would knock ya around some.
Holy cats!!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 18:44
I bought this rifle when it came out in 1996. I ordered over the phone from Guns Galore in Fenton, Michigan. I prepaid I wanted it so bad. When it came in a few months later I rushed to get there. When I first handled I thought it was going to kick pretty good, and it sure does. It is a pleasure to carry all day long and has seen some rough use in some northern Canadian areas. This one is a keeper for sure.
I was a little sad when I took the 1.5-5 Leupold off, to be honest. It is a classic DGR scope and looks really cool on the gun. I'm very happy with this Kahles, though. The glass is quite a bit better and the 4A reticle is nicer than the Leupy Duplex.

Edited by tahqua - March/02/2008 at 18:45
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 19:00
good review.!!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 19:30
Thanks Dale,
I hate to show it when I shoot bad.............but it's real
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 19:56
Nice range report, Doug!  I really like that rifle and scope combination, friend!Big%20Grin
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 20:38
i thought you were going to post pictures of the bruises doug??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 20:54
There is just a little bit of one left today. You know, the yellow stage when they are about done.
Neither my phone cam or my HP camera would be very good for that.
I'll be reporting on the circle dot illuminated 1.1-4x24 soon. If I shoot the hard core rounds from the 45-70 I'll definitely get bruised, again. That Ruger #1 is atrocious with a case full of 4895 and a 400 grain bullet.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 01:41
Nice report, thanks. I know what you mean about bruised shoulder.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 18:34
 The worst example of "Bad Recoil" is one I read about yesterday on another forum.  Some guy built his own .50 BMG. but seriously failed to engineer or execute its' construction properly.  When he fired it from the bench, the locking lugs sheared off the bolt body,
 allowing the ignition force to drive the bolt assembly THROUGH his shoulder!
  He lost his arm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 18:51
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

The worst example of "Bad Recoil" is one I read about yesterday on another forum.  Some guy built his own .50 BMG. but seriously failed to engineer or execute its' construction properly.  When he fired it from the bench, the locking lugs sheared off the bolt body,
  He lost his arm.

Loco
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 06:56
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

He lost his arm.

Damn, that's a pretty severe engineering snafu!Loco
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 05:29

Dixie Gun Works has suggested that when "proof firing" a black powder rifle, you put the rifle in an old tire casing, and aim it at a safe target backstop.  You then pull the trigger with a string from behind a big tree or other adeqate cover.  Sounds like a pretty good idea for any rifle built from scratch!!!!

In the case of a flintlock, you can remove the stock, and put a long cannon fuse in the touch hole  I did this with my Kentucky rifle before shooting it from the shoulder.  
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 05:41
Hope you have a good recoil pad on that .375.  If not, I definitely recommend one.   (A gun writer recently referred to it as the .375 "ouch & ouch".)  

Remington put useless recoil pads (or no recoil pads) on their rifles for years.  Some of the newer Remingtons now have a decent recoil pad, and their 2008 catalog introduces a new (and even more effective) recoil pad.  
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2008 at 11:00
Besides that I think Remington has got about a 4 inch LOP.  Makes things a little "crowded" up by the bolt..............your hand, your face, your eyes, the scope, your thumb, your nose, etc........
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic