OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Kahles for a Browning 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Kahles for a Browning 7mm-08
    Posted: March/02/2008 at 15:26
Hey fellas need some input on which Kahles model I should choose for a new rifle I picked up.  I've never even looked through a Kahles but based on the majority of the forum that they make a quality product, I'm willing to buy blindly.  Not any close dealers to me, closest is 40 miles away so this will be an internet purchase.  Most shots will be 300 yards or less and will be doing some woods hunting in addition to food plots and fields.  Would be willing to spend $1000 or less.  Not really interested in the talk of any other scope makers as I already own a couple of Z6's and just don't have the extra change right now to buy another Z6, which would be my preference. Thanks.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 15:49

That is a nicely balanced and good handling rifle you have picked up, congratulations.

I really like the C models and think the 1.5-6x42 would be a nice fit for your rifle. The 2.5-10x50 is also very nice and with the 30mm tube will not look over bearing on that trim rifle. There are several of both on the http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=5&prod_type=1&hide_sold=false  for less than your price point.
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 15:58
tahqua,

The 1.5-6x42 was the one that I think I have settled on.  Not a huge fan of the big bell objectives on any of my rifles.  My 42mm Z6's blow away a Zeiss Classic 50mm that I am currently trying to sale.  Thanks for the input +1 vote for the 1.5-6x42.  My only drawback is the FFP reticle.  Would prefer the non mag. reticle. 

Edited by antleraddiction - March/02/2008 at 16:00
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 16:58
If you want a non-magnifying (SFP) reticle, I would encourage you to look at one of the Kahles KX or CL models.  The CL would have essentially the same optical quality of the C series, except in a 1" tube, and the KX is just slightly behind the C & CL in terms of resolution.  If you can find one, I would highly recommend the 2-7X36 CL, but sadly, this model has been discontinued.  The 3-9X42 KX or CL would also be excellent SFP reticle scopes.

I'm a big fan of the 1.5-6X42 configuration, so if you are willing to accept the FFP reticle, Tahqua's suggestion would be an excellent one. 

OR, if you'd be open to the possibility of an illuminated reticle scope, the 1.5-6X42 IS available with a SFP reticle in the "CSX" version, of which there are a couple shown on the SWFA "Sample List," among many other Kahles scopes that are priced within your budget limit.

Keep in mind there has never been a better time to buy a Kahles scope than now.  Since Kahles has just recently changed their US service and distribution center from SONA to Legacy Sports, you can get their scopes for nearly half of normal retail price.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 17:04
The circle dot is great. I have one mounted on a rifle and it is excellent for low light. The dot would be fine for long range work on big game out to 400yds, too.
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 20:04
I have a Kahles 3x10 50mm CL. Excellent glass and a reasonable price for the quality you get with this scope. Check one out and you'll probably like it. I believe the CL line would be the best bang for the buck in the Kahles line.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 12:51

Pulled the trigger on stock #8228 Kahles 1.5-6x42 Helia C 7A reticle.  This will not be my long range gun so the FFP should not be a huge issue.  Think this will compare nicely to my Z6's with the exception of the FFP.  Now I gotta go make some signs, "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" Big%20Grin!

Edited by antleraddiction - March/03/2008 at 12:52
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 13:44

Excellent choice, antleraddiction!Thunbs%20Up

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 13:57
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Excellent choice, antleraddiction!Thunbs%20Up

Yes Excellent I think you will be most impressed
I have a 7A on one of my Kahles and it works great for low light shooting. This reticle is not too heavy for precision work and when at 3x or up is easy to see.

Edited by tahqua - March/03/2008 at 14:02
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 18:53
You will be very pleased with your new scope!!!!

mojo
MOJO
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 16:31
Thanks for the help fellas, Brown pulled up with it about 45 mins. ago.  Great scope for the money, going to play with it at dusk and see how it compares to the Z6 and may have to order another!  SWFA is a little misleading (in a good way) with their comments on the sample list.  This scope looks perfect, one finger print on the eyepiece, otherwise brand new!  Very happy with the purchase and product recieved.

Edited by antleraddiction - March/06/2008 at 16:32
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic