OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfiber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper Review
    Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:01
Hello Everyone,

I can't remember all of the forums I have read in different websites regarding the Super Sniper, but I feel it's finally time to add my thread to at least one of these forums.  I want to direct this to anyone who has had bad things to say about the Super Sniper or XOTIC.  Let me point out that I DO NOT own a XOTIC, but I contemplated one because the build looks similar to that of the Super Sniper and I feel confident that it was SWFA who had a hand in its existence.

I can, now, confidently say that the Super Sniper is as good as any Leupold I have used.  I set up and built a rifle of my own in 2004 and was not sure what to mount as a scope.  I studied many scopes and compared prices and quality.  I read hundreds of threads out of dozens of forums before I decided to try the Super Sniper.  It has been almost four years and I have never had to adjust or maintain the scope in any way.  In fact, I have not cleaned my rifle for at least two years and shoot an average of 100 rounds per month just to see if it keeps zero.  I am conducting a durability test of my rifle, its barrel and the scope so not cleaning it is just part of what I wanted to add to the mix.

After an injury to my back and shoulder, the rifle stayed in storage for over a year.  It was still not cleaned, nor was the scope maintained in anyway.  Three months ago I took it to a friends field and ranged out 100 yards.  My cold barrel shot was dead on.  After a five minute cool down, my second shot hit through the first hole.  My friend could not believe it.  Only I could tell that it was 1/16 of an inch off to the upper right.  That's where my rounds hit when my rifle heats up.  A month ago, I ranged out 200 yards at another friends field and maintained a grouping about the size of a nickel.  I generally range 300 yards to a thousand yards, but the rifle is made to be consistent for urban sniping and is accurate to 600 yards.  It is also a semi-automatic for quick follow up shots.  Only when the barrel gets hot does it become irratic.  The 200 yard shooting comprised of a minute and thirty second cool down periods.  The group would be tighter with a more extended cool down.

On the 80 to 90 times that I have taken my rifle out to shoot in the past four years, the cold barrel shot remains absolute zero.  Thank you to SWFA.  They have again, proven that you don't have to spend a fortune to configure the right optics on a rifle.  We once competed against some FBI shooters in a competition.  Their rifles were easily $5000 configures.  We used a standard Remington 308 with a fairly inexpensive Leupold.  We beat them, hands down.  A lot of the shooting is the shooter.  Of course, these FBI boys were not HRT.  HRT is very good.  There is truth to price and build quality, but Super Sniper is an anomoly.  I am happy that their price has not changed.  If I build my next rifle, a 300 Win Mag, I will be looking at Super Sniper.  I plan to be able to hit targets beyond 1500 yards with the next rifle.  Super Sniper will be on my list along with Zeiss, Leupold and many other high quality lenses.

To you Super Sniper skeptics.  This is only one opinion, but it has been four years in the making and constant testing of this scope.  I have to say, I have NOT been disappointed in Super Sniper.  For those of you who have bad luck with it, perhaps it was when SWFA was not producing the Super Sniper.  All I can say is that the friends of mine who have bought it have loved it.  Good luck in trying to find the scope for you.  As for my credentials, I am retired.  And NO.  I do NOT work for SWFA.
If you pull it, you better use it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:14
Welcome to The OT and thank you for your review!

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 18:35
cut and paste from another forum, third party account.................................

for $300.00, there isn't a scope out there that will stay w/it...........

All scopes have some bad ones.............

We have a member that used his for a PP&K contest,, on a 17# rifle.........threw it, kicked rifle and all up and down rocky soils at Tac Pro for quite a while, and then proceeded to go prone and it was on same Zero.It did.

He beat the crap out of it.Looked like shi*, and he also sumberged it in a pond for a few days..........if I remember correctly.

Welcome to OT

metalfiber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfiber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 19:05
Thank you for the welcome gentlemen.  I am happy to see that there are Super Sniper believers.  I love mine.  If "seeing" is believing, then you've got to see what this scope can do!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 19:09
Welcome to O.T. and thanks for the review.
HAWKEYE6MM View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWKEYE6MM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 21:42
Hey Metalfiber..nice avatar.
"KEEPIN MY POWDER DRY"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfiber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 05:17
Thanks HawkEye.
luv2shoot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 16:23
Gonna be hard to beat the SS dollar for dollar.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfiber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 21:17
Very true luvs2shoot.  Very true.  Again, I have shot through many scopes and I am pleased with the optics of Super Sniper.  Let me put it this way.....I trust my life to the build of this scope.  I know that within 600 yards (though the rifle is made for the urban environment), I have got targets dead on.  I have no doubt that there are scopes that are as good or better, but for price and for the purpose that I built this rifle for, I could not justify putting all my money into a 600 yard rifle.  Perhaps if I build that 1500+ yard rifle, the distance will undoubtedly force me to be more discriminating.  Still, a "zero" rifle is a "zero" rifle is a "zero" rifle.  At that distance, it's all about the shooter's ability to understand his field and the variables surrounding it.  The Super Sniper I mounted has stayed zero for four years with no adjustments.  The rounds are hitting lower only because I changed out my ammo from XM-193's to heavier grain ammo.  XM-193's are hard to come by right now because of Iraq.  And for anyone continuing to read this thread.....my rifle was zeroed, not only with the Super Sniper, but with XM-193's standard military issue Nato 5.56.  With a "standard" issue, I shot a quarter size group at 300 yards with only 2 minute cool down periods.  Again, think urban sniping.  If I wait 20 minutes between shots at that distance, I am certain I can shoot a group the size of half a dime.

Thanks for all of your welcomes.  And GO Super Sniper!

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 16:36

Great testimony!  Got any pictures to go with it?  I would like to put it on SuperSniper.com

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfiber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 18:17
Sorry Mr. Farris.  I have no pictures.  I used to keep the targets, but I moved from Washington State to Maryland.  I lost them along with Tax records that I currently am also looking for.  The area of Maryland that I am at does not have a range that is 300 yards.  Washington State had one that was very nice.  Here, I generally have to wait for friends of mine to come home from Colorado before I can actually range 200 yards.  I think we might bring a video camera the next time.  We had a "blast" shooting the last time we were out.

Again, sorry I don't have any pictures.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalfiber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 18:18
Sorry Mr. Farris.  I have no pictures.  I used to keep the targets, but I moved from Washington State to Maryland.  I lost them along with Tax records that I currently am also looking for.  The area of Maryland that I am at does not have a range that is 300 yards.  Washington State had one that was very nice.  Here, I generally have to wait for friends of mine to come home from Colorado before I can actually range 200 yards.  I think we might bring a video camera the next time.  We had a "blast" shooting the last time we were out.

Again, sorry I don't have any pictures.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic