OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lee factory crimp die

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee factory crimp die
    Posted: March/02/2008 at 07:39
I just finished loading 2 boxes of 458 Winchester Magnum cartridges, using Winchester new brass, 1 box with Hogdon H322 78 grains with Hornady 350 grain FN with CCI 250 primers and the other box with Hogdon H335 78 grains with Remington 405 grain RN with CCI 250 primers (both magnum primers).  I started using a Hornady 3 die set and test seated 3 bullets, first with a taper seating, but could never adjust the die to properly crimp the cartridge into the cannelure, no matter how I adjusted it, following all of the instructions.  My first time loading straight wall cartridges and first time fully crimping cartridges.  Fortunately, I had the foresight to purchase a Lee factory crimp die, which worked perfectly with minimal adjustment.  It seems as though every Lee die I use, does its job perfectly without any problems.  I swore I would never buy another Hornady die set, but this was available for delivery in time for my reloading needs.  Any comments or recommendations. 
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 07:59
Hey Dophin

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die and a Lee Collet Neck Sizer for almost every caliber I reload for.  The Lee Collet yields very little runout and needs no lube inside the neck.  The Factory Crimp Die works every time, does not need a cannelure and is not sensitive to exact case length.

In side-by-side loaded-at-the-same-time tests, the LFCD gives me an average of 10 fps more velocity and 1/8" smaller group.

What's not to like?Big%20Smile
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 08:30
Good to know.  Thanks.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 09:02
use the crimp die on .233 and .308 blastin ammo for autos, to prevent set back -- works great.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 09:07
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Hey Dophin

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die and a Lee Collet Neck Sizer for almost every caliber I reload for.  The Lee Collet yields very little runout and needs no lube inside the neck.  The Factory Crimp Die works every time, does not need a cannelure and is not sensitive to exact case length.

In side-by-side loaded-at-the-same-time tests, the LFCD gives me an average of 10 fps more velocity and 1/8" smaller group.

What's not to like?Big%20Smile

My experience with those dies is also very positive.
 I've never had any problem with Hornady New Dimension Dies either, though.
 The Lee Collet Die is the best way to neck size.  Hands down.
 The Lee Factory Crimp Die is the best way to crimp.  Hands down.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 09:47
I have started getting the Lee sets with Collet neck sizing only for the rifles I am reloading only for that rifle and I am very pleased.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 10:10
Try a Redding Body Die when necessary after sizing the neck with the Lee Collet and you have not spent any more on those 2 dies than you do on a regular full length die in most cases.  Then you have more options when sizing and you have gotten rid of the expander ball.

Mostly I spend most of my money on a good seater like the RCBS Competition Seaters. 

Then finish it off with the LFCD and you won't need or be wishing for any other dies.

JMHO
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 12:35

As a side note, the  Lee Collet size Die can be easily customized to size a few thousandths smaller than spec'd, simply by polishing the spindle diameter down in a drill press or lathe.

Never needed to, myself, but there are applications where it is desirable to do so.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic