OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weatherby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weatherby
    Posted: March/01/2008 at 14:45
I am looking to buy a weatherby mark v accumark, What are yalls opinions on this gun (accuracy, durability ect..) ? Any info will help thanks.

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 14:58
Paging Dolphin.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 15:01
what caliber are you looking at??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
texashunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 15:44
I was trying to decide between the 300 win mag or 300 wetherby but probably the win mag because of greater ammo selection.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 15:46
I had been trying to find a sako 75 synthetic stainless in 300 win mag with no luck so I am now looking at the   weatherby.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 16:03
great action in the mark v thats for sure. the 300wby is a horse to shoot thats for sure, i like my 300win in a browning stainless stocker. why not buy a sako 85?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 16:14
I dont like the 85 synthetic stock, also a lack of a recoil lug
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 16:32

( get one of those nifty CZ Ultimate Hunting Rifles in 300 Win Mag!!  )

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 16:38
Weatherby rifles are VERY pretty, but overpriced, for what you get.

I'd take a Sako M75 over a Weatherby any day and did. Smile
Never regretted it either.

YMMV of course.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 17:31

I have 3 Weatherby Mk V's in 300 wby ( stainless, Deluxe, and custom shop sporter) .Each one shoots better than their guarantee with whatever weight round I've tried . Instead of hauling around the extra weight of the Accumark, I'd grab a sporter or fish around for a stainless ( although discontinued- still can find them here and there) .I dropped mine into a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock . However, if the Accumark is what you really want- go for it . They can be had for round $1350 -$1400.

Caliber wise- can ya tell-I'm partial to the 300 Wby.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 08:29
You are never going to go wrong with the Accumark.  A far superior rifle to the Sako, imo, at least to the new 85 with some of the new aspects that I think have made the rifle a lesser model to the 75.  And with reference to price, if you look around, you can find one priced equal or less than a Sako.  Never pay retail for a Weatherby.  If need be, I would be more than happy to help you find what you need.  The Accumark I own is in a 30-378, the ultimate 30 caliber on the market and like martin3175 said, is very accurate, sub-moa with Wby. ammo.  It is aluminum bedded with a Bell and Carlson stock and uses a Krieger button rifle stainless steel barrel.  I own probable a dozen Weatherby rifles and this is one of my favorites.  Martin3175, it is heavier and is not meant to be a mountain rifle, but for a stand rifle or for hauling short distances is fine.  As far as caliber, it is your choice.  I am like pyro6999 on this issue.  If you are going to buy a Wby., buy one in a Wby. caliber.  That being said and the fact I would go with the 300Wby., the 300 win. mag. is a fine caliber and you will enjoy the same benefits in the Accumark in that caliber as you would in the Wby. caliber.  A lot of times you can find it cheaper in the non-Wby. calibers.  The lightweight models are great if you are going to haul it long distances.  This is the Ultra Lightweight, also in a Bell and Carlson stock, aluminum bedding block, weighing in at 6.75 pounds in the 300 Wby. and 300 Win. mag..  Other options include the Wby. Vanguard in a standard or sub-moa models.  As accurate, if not more so and less expensive.  Here are a few links to some rifles.  Buying used is often the best way to go, as these rifles rarely have been shot a lot, as they are large caliber, heavy recoiling rifles that are not use for plinking.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93586182  This is a brand new 30-06 at a very good price that I thought I would show you.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:22
no doubt, if you buy a weatherby rifle unless its like an athena of course, then buy a weatherby chambering, i dont understand why people buy non weatherby cals in weatherby rifles, seems like a waste to me, thats like ordering a 30-06 from john lazzeroni. or as ACSF the cable guy once said its like wipping before you poop, when i buy my first wby it will be a .257wby dont know why i am so intrigued by this round but i am.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:29
Cause its a great round.  My next Wby., unless its a 416 or 460, which I will not be able to afford for quite some time (my gun money fund is down to about 489 dollars), is going to be a 257, even though I have a sporter Mark V in the caliber.  Not sure which model, Mark V or Vanguard, but I just love the caliber.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:30

i want a mark v but more than likely it will be a vanguard

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:31
Originally posted by texashunter texashunter wrote:

I had been trying to find a sako 75 synthetic stainless in 300 win mag with no luck so I am now looking at the   weatherby.

Had one......Bandito

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:32
Those Weatherby rifles are beautiful though, I'll say that.  
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:33
I would actually like a Sako 75, I do not care for the new 85.  Before buying my latest rifle, I had my eye on a couple along with some other rifles.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:34
i'd like to have a 75 as well not sure what cal but i wouldnt mind having one too
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:38
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:41

Nothing like running a Sako bolt.........Sharp%20Shooter 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic