OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10mm auto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10mm auto
    Posted: November/22/2004 at 17:39
going to be doing alot of hiking and b4 anyone makes it evident.. I already know... the chances of my backpacking party have a threatening encounter with a dangerous animal is very slim however the possibility still exists... now my 45acp would defenitley thwart an attacking cougar  and with super precise shot placement  a black bear... but i have heard the best AUTO caliber for large animals is 10mm does anyone have any experience with this caliber namely the glock 20
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2004 at 18:14

You picked the right caliber and gun for bear defense.  I would never go into the woods unarmed, you never know.  I think the 10mm with full power loads is much better suited in this role than as a defender against two-legged threats.  The Glock will work everytime.  The only problem that you may have is with the overly large grip.  If you prefer a 1911 type pistol, you may also want to consider the .45 Super or the .400 corbon.  Dan Wesson also makes a very nice 1911 10mm, but I am not convinced that a 1911 platform can really handle a lot of full power 10mm ammo.  I find all three of these calibers easier to handle than a .44 magmun.

ranburr 

Sako .308 Win View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako .308 Win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2004 at 18:59
Manuel, I own A Glock 20-10mm Auto and it has plenty of firepower. The velocity and knockdown statistics are similar to a .357 Mag. I have the preban with a 15 round clip. I think they are readily avaliable now since the ban is over thank goodness. Brian
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2004 at 09:34
A 10 mm is marginal at best for a bear let alone a serious bear. Perhaps in California or in the east, and if you have time to dump a 15 shot mag into one. I see posts on many sights and the bear I hear described sound about the size of a large dog. As much as I love my Glock 20 loaded to sub 41 mag velocities with 210 hard cast SWC 41 mag loads swaged to .401, I would make other choices. If you hand load it is very easy to take the standard 19000 pressure loads to 23000 which tranlates to a 230 gr bullet at about 1100 ft/sec. and a momentum of about 253000. A 200 gr 10 mm load must be driven to 1265 to get the same power figure. Both are about the same and only given to illustrate the overatedness of the 10mm. Not to much of an expert, having only had 3 serious encounters, 2 with grizz in Montana and 1 super bear in Alaska. Shooting the bear was not necessary in any of the cases, but simply meant cleaning up after personal hygene problems. Personally I use an (currently) 11-87 with a Choate extension loaded with 3" Brenneke slugs for a camp gun (two of the arguments were over whose dinner was whos) with I got immediately after the first encounter and got another barrel for skeet and bird hunting. The idea is stopping power not leathality, I'm sure the bear would die sooner or later with any bullet wound. On the second round I could not get to the shotgun but was carring a handgun. For those personal moments in the woods when you want to be alone and are caught with your pants down, I use a 4" Ruger Vaquero loaded with 300 gr Hornady XTP and 24 grs 296 which tranlates to about 1 1/8 times the power of a 7" 44 mag. and a 6" Ruger Redhawk Casull with a 2X Leo for Alaska. I consider all these under armed and use a 416 Remington Mag. for hunting although I have used 270 and 30-06 for small browns in the pacific northwest. I keep looking for these smaller bear everyone else sees but the ones I've hunted and shot can easily look over my 6'2" head. I find it interesting that todays suggestions in power center around a cartridge (10mm) and of a cartridge that was popular when I was young -the 357. The big thing then was a Model 27- that's what you need. Another interesting point, a lot of posts indicate a hand gun for personal protection for bear but a big mother rifle for hunting them. Did the bear change somehow? Now that it's only personal defense has the bear detuned itself such that it's breaking some rule now that it's not being hunted and we're just not gonna tolerate that kind of behavior and use a gun with the big magazine. Ruger has a new Alaskan 45LC out with a 2 in barrel go to their web site. Personally this gun with a 4 inch barrel and a hot loaded 480 would be my choice due to control issues of uninitiated shooters and the Casull. Good luck with your choice!
Manuel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2004 at 17:08

dale ran and sako thanks for the input.. in these neck of the woods (So Cali) black bears are overated meaning they scare very easily i have helped run several out of a camp ground  in kennedy meadows  however  should i run across a persistant bear that is a danger to my backpacking party i would like to have an auto handy. that being said im far more worried about cougar in these parts than bears..  this article springs to mind http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_11_47/ai_ 78900535 so i supposed my ultimate question is would 10 rounds of 10mm auto get the job done if not what AUTO caliber would u recommend....  i would liek to carrry a lever action rifle however alot of forests around here only allow sidearm exposed carry

Edited by Manuel
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2004 at 18:21

Dale is right in that those big old revolver cartriges are the best stoppers for a handgun.  Unfortuneately for me, I cannot shoot any revolver worth a squat, regardless of caliber.  Thus, short of a contact shot, I am dinner for a big bear if I had to defend myself with a revolver!  Since I am not ready to enter the food system as dinner for a wild carnivore, I am a semi-auto man all the way and I prefer the 1911 platform.  I think the 10mm is a good choice.  As I stated above, I think you should also look at a .45 Super or the .400 Cor-Bon.  You may also want to look at a .45 Win Mag or the new .50 G.I.

ranburr

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2004 at 19:42

How about a 45/70 ?

Just kidding.  We are about to put a .45 Win Mag revolver on gunbroker.com that is pretty nice.

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 14:12

Auto? 

There is the rare and unmentioned .45 Win Mag.

Edited by Boomholzer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic