OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbee Advice - Zeiss or Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 15:13
not at all-- the mk4s and the vx7 easily better than the conquests, but as you suggest the price picture changes. using the v7 against a z6 and diavari in close quarters timed shots on several ar's in the dark, and different ranges etc. for about 200 rds on each scope, gives some pretty good impressions (works better than porch selections). diavari  didn't give any better times (as opposed to the Z6) which did. diavari suffers from var. range selection, plastic turrets. leo suffered from not quite as good as glass. both suffered against the z6. all three would work great.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 15:15
the vx7 better be better than the conquest its 3 times the price, the mk4 isnt to far behind at twice the price of the conquest both companies have great cs depts
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 15:23
get a vx3 4.5x14x50 varmit or bc send back to leo put on m1 targets for 120 and beat any conquest.  whats sad is leo doesn't but the vx7 glass in the mk4s, !!!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 15:31
ok problem is that if you do all that now you just spent $800 to do it and the glass in the vxIII still isnt as good as the conquests, at $800 you could buy a kahles
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 15:43
I think the conquests with the target turrets, and rapid z are around 850 or 900 , and again your making your decision based on the glass, and not the entire package, to me the vx3 are made better than conquest. (at least the one I had).
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 15:45
i seriously doubt he is going to use a .270 for varmint hunting is my point this is a deer rifle not a target rifle.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 15:47
Another vote for the Zeiss. There might be other reasons to pick Leupold, but if you get the chance to compare the two scopes in poor light you will see why most are saying Zeiss.Bucky
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 15:57
in either case the saddle on the leo is better, especially the turrets, and I have compared them and shot both to destruction yadda yadda yadda. Most varmit rifles make good deer rifles, most deer rifles barely make a good varmit rifle.
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 16:18
Zeiss would be my choice. I just took a vari x lll 3.5x10 40 off my 270WSM and put a 3.5x10 44 Conquest on it. The Leupold doesn't compare in the glass department.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 20:49
Zeiss all the way.  One thing no one has mentioned is the Zeiss has a much larger field of view at 25.5' at 4.5 power as opposed to the Leupold at 18.7'.  Makes a big difference on running shots or picking out targets on a monochromatic background.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 23:30
I have a 3-9 Conquest on my model 700-never regretted that decision!
danshae View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danshae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 23:37
for the guys that think mark 4 luppy's are superior to conquests apparently have not done their homework.the vx3 & mark4 have identical glass & coatings!I am not biased to any scope but do have a 4.5-14x50 conquest and 4 shooting buddies that own 4.5-14x50 luppy LRscopes.when we sit down on the bench to compare there is no question which glass is clearer,all they can say is luppy has a great warranty.I personally have owned 4 vx3's through the years.never again!they live on their name alone!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 04:25
ExcellentZEISS all the way.......you won't regret it
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 09:16
 the guys that think mark 4 luppy's are superior to conquests apparently have not done their homework.the vx3 & mark4 have identical glass & coatings
Just like I said get a vx3 and put m1 turrets on it, best deal-- oh, get of the bench and shoot awhile----
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic