OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbee Advice - Zeiss or Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbee Advice - Zeiss or Leupold
    Posted: February/29/2008 at 12:59
I'm new to the board and have done some research, but I'm looking for more specific advice from the site experts.  I have a new Remington 700 B&C Edition in .270 Win. on the way.  I've narrowed scope selection down to these two: Leupold VX-III 4x14x50LR and Zeiss Conquest 4x14x50.  I know the Zeiss is a little longer, heavier, 1" tube and has a shorter eye relief (0.5 in per specs).  These are not huge points for me either way and cost is relatively the same (+/- $50).

Any feedback basis reasoning, first hand experience or comparative analysis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Lee
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:04
take the zeiss better glass
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:04
no contest - zeiss

zeiss has better glass, noticable at least - and have good reticles.

it's a lot of scope for the money.

welcome to OT -

J
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:10
Originally posted by Lee Lee Lee Lee wrote:

I'm new to the board and have done some research, but I'm looking for more specific advice from the site experts.  I have a new Remington 700 B&C Edition in .270 Win. on the way.  I've narrowed scope selection down to these two: Leupold VX-III 4x14x50LR and Zeiss Conquest 4x14x50.  I know the Zeiss is a little longer, heavier, 1" tube and has a shorter eye relief (0.5 in per specs).  These are not huge points for me either way and cost is relatively the same (+/- $50).

Any feedback basis reasoning, first hand experience or comparative analysis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Lee
..............................Most of the feedback that you will get here, will favor the Zeiss! Within $50 of each other, I`d go Zeiss!! A .270 is not a heavy recoil kicker, so that would be a non issue relative to your scope choice.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:15
I can't belive pyro didn's say get rid of the 270.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:16
the .270 isnt a bad choice friend, i just like other stuff better thats all.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:18
I agree Ziess is much better glass I have both leup i not nearly as clear.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:32
Three things come to mind.
1. Welcome aboard.
2. Nice rifle choice.
3. Get the Zeiss.

Roy
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:35
lEE,
      From what I can figure the prices and reviews are very similar (see links below for competitor 's reviews), but the Leupold has a 30mm tube, which might make it a better choice. My gut says Zeiss, but I'd want to look through both before discounting the 30mm tube. I happen to be a new convert to a what quality 30mm scope can do. I'll also say that I see you in a somewhat enviable position as there is no "BAD" choice for you. Good Luck

http://www.competitor.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?CurrentSort=manufacturer_a&CurrentCountRet=20&CurrentManufacture=1362&CategoryString=657***11392***11396***15273***&CategoryID=15281&BrandID=&page=2&KeyWord=&TabID=10&company_select=1362&search_keywords2=&sort1=manufacturer_a&PageSelect=3&RecordsReturned=20&PageSelect2=3&RecordsReturned2=20

http://www.competitor.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?CurrentSort=manufacturer_a&CurrentCountRet=20&CurrentManufacture=1362&CategoryString=657***11392***11396***15273***&CategoryID=15281&BrandID=&page=3&KeyWord=&TabID=10&company_select=987&search_keywords2=&sort1=manufacturer_a&PageSelect=3&RecordsReturned=20&PageSelect2=3&RecordsReturned2=20
We are all responsible for leaving the same legacy of rights and freedoms we have to our children and grandchildren!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:40
So what advantage does the 30mm tube do?  In your opinion beside more reticle adjustment.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:47
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

So what advantage does the 30mm tube do?  In your opinion beside more reticle adjustment.

To my eye, comparing a Zeiss(40mm obj) (my favorite scope til now) against the Leupold 30mm(33mm obj), the 30mm was noticeably brighter to my eye as I spent an evening with both scopes comparing, realtime, real light. The Zeiss is a great scope, and had impressed both me and my guide with it's brightness, being signigicantly better than my Steiner Binos in low light, but I feel the low light comparison and some late evening hog hunting last week, showed me the Leupold is brighter.
We are all responsible for leaving the same legacy of rights and freedoms we have to our children and grandchildren!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:54
Originally posted by edsguns edsguns wrote:

To my eye, comparing a Zeiss(40mm obj) (my favorite scope til now) against the Leupold 30mm(33mm obj), the 30mm was noticeably brighter to my eye as I spent an evening with both scopes comparing, realtime, real light. The Zeiss is a great scope, and had impressed both me and my guide with it's brightness, being signigicantly better than my Steiner Binos in low light, but I feel the low light comparison and some late evening hog hunting last week, showed me the Leupold is brighter.
.........................The tube diameter, whether a 1" or 30mm has very little to do with brightness! The advantage for the 30mm tubes if any, is more reticle adjustment range! Your best possible brightness for low light hunting is achieved on the lowest power setting. Proper comparisons are best made on the lowest, but equal settings!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:54
Just so you know as this is a common misconception, one that I learned recently.  But tube size makes absolutely no difference in the brightness of the scope.  It has to do with the quality of the lens and the coatings on the glass.  It is discussed in pretty good detail here  http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9945&KW=
with links to several other discussions.  Particularly pay attention to what ILya Koshkin says as he is a true optics expert.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:56
Oh, and my vote is for the Zeiss any day.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 13:56
i agree with that 100% supertool, its always about the quality of the glass, you can take any  vxIII 30mm scope you want and i will take any zeiss 1" scope and the higher quality of the glass in the zeiss will win all day long.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 14:07
In one word.......................ZEISS
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Lee Lee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 14:18
WOW!!  Thanks for all the quick feedback, compliments on the rifle selection and warm welcomes to the forum.  Also for clearing up my misconception about 30mm vs. 1" tubes (I did read through some of the Stickys on this forum).

Looks like the Zeiss was the everwhelming favorite.

MANY Thanks - Lee
edsguns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 14:41
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by edsguns edsguns wrote:

.........................The tube diameter, whether a 1" or 30mm has very little to do with brightness! The advantage for the 30mm tubes if any, is more reticle adjustment range! Your best possible brightness for low light hunting is achieved on the lowest power setting. Proper comparisons are best made on the lowest, but equal settings!

Well thanks for the great info, but it's not a thing I didn't already know and take into account in my personal test. Thanks again, Ed
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 14:47
with the same wall thickness a 30 mm tube will be stronger than a 1 inch. personally I would and do take the vx3 and upper leos over a conquest any day. If you choose any of the rapid z reticles the price on the new conquests isn't that much. The turrets on the leo has the conquest hands town, beat to hell.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 14:54
upper leos like vx7?? i assume you mean by that, for that kind of money one could buy a zeiss divari and still have a better scope, plus we all know that dale wears leupold underwear! j/k dale

Edited by pyro6999 - February/29/2008 at 14:57
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic