OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Parallax concerns and my IOR Valdada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parallax concerns and my IOR Valdada
    Posted: February/28/2008 at 22:49
In this thread,

http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9717

I requested help concerning scope choices for an FN PBR XP that I was going to get.  I ended up choosing an IOR 2.5x10 tactical scope with the MP8 reticle.  The glass quality, build quality and reticle are amazing, I'm very impressed. 

When I went to pick up the rifle today from my FFL, I talked to him for a bit about my purchase as he is a very experienced shooter (but not a know-it-all by any means).  I know he uses a Remington 700 in 308 with a Nightforce scope (with the upper magnification limit at 24x to 32x) in the same role that I will use the FN PBR (target shooting and tactical if, god forbid, it is ever needed as such). 

He had never handled an IOR scope, so I brought it in for him since I had it in the car.  He asked if there was any parallax adjustment, and I responded no, I had not seen any on this one.  He stated that I would not like it, as it could be off an inch or more at 100 yards. 

I do want to be able to shoot as precisely as possible out to 600-800 yards with this rifle, but 95% of my shooting will be done at the local range from 100-300 yards.  If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.  What are the limitations of this scope? How much will its lack of parallax adjustment cost me in accurate at different ranges?  Is parallax adjustment even worth it, as I read it is not completely accurate as printed on the adjustment dial?  What other scopes  with similar quality glass and mechanical construction have parallax adjustment?

Thanks for the help.  I'm just wondering if I should replace this scope or not worry about it.  I turned this scope up to 10X and was looking at a target about 80 yards away across the street and saw very little if any parallax effect.  I'm wondering what it will be like with a target at 500 yards, however.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 23:59
Here is an explanation of parallax from Chris, the reason it does not have a parallax adjustment is it is a 10x max power scope.  They usually only start putting that on scopes at around 12x and up. 

Quote Parallax
Parallax is essentially an optical illusion.  Parallax presents itself as the apparent movement of the reticle, in relation to the target, when your eye moves off center of the sight picture (exit pupil) or in more extreme cases it appears as an out of focus image. It indicates that the scope is either out of focus or more specifically the image of the target is not occurring on the same focal plane as the reticle. Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the sight picture (exit pupil). Even when parallax is adjusted for a designated distance, there is an inadvertent error at other distances.  Most brands of scopes that do not have a parallax adjustment are pre-set at the factory to be parallax free at or around 100 yards; rim fire and shotgun scopes are set at or around 50 yards.  Most scopes of 11x or more have a parallax adjustment because parallax worsens at higher magnifications.  Generally speaking parallax adjustment is not required for hunting situations and is primarily a feature used and desired by target shooters.  A 4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.  At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy. Using the same 4x scope at 100 yards, the maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an inch. It is also good to remember that, as long you are sighting straight through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually no effect on accuracy in a hunting situation.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 03:11
"At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy."

I have to disagree with you Supertool. Parallax actually becomes a problem at shorter distances, and the further out you shoot the less parallax error becomes a problem. The reason is that at longer distances the angle of incoming light from your target is less acute. At shorter distances the angle of incoming light from your target is more accute and therefore more prone to misalighnment.
It is for this reason that air-rifle competitors who shoot with high power scopes all have parralax adjustments. (They shoot at 10meters etc).
So GeoJap, in my opinion the further out you shoot the less of a problem you will have.
At a 100yds or less, if you maintain good consistent cheekweld, and you make sure you have a full clear view circle (no dark edges), parallax will have very little effect on your grouping or shooting consistency.

On your other question, a parallax adjustment is done by looking through the scope and dialing untill the reticule does not apparently move when you move your head about. The numbers on the dial is for fun! Leupold do not even put numbers on the dial.

Edited by 8shots - February/29/2008 at 03:14
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 03:19
To test for parallax error, firmly lock the scope/rifle in position. Then look at your target through the scope and move your head about without moving the scope. If the reticule appears to move about on the target, then that is parallax error. Try it on closer targets and on far targets and you will see it will become difficult to move your head about without losing sight of the target on far targets. That means on far targets you have to have consistent cheek weld, thus eliminating parallax.

Edited by 8shots - February/29/2008 at 03:20
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 05:36

Parallax Error

For general hunting purposes, parallax error is most critical at under 100 yard distances. And, this is why most rifle scopes are set to be parallax error free at 100 yards. At under 100 yards, wild game are large enough that parallax won't throw you too far off your aiming point. Beyond 100 yards, the error is simply less for the difference in distance.

Adjustable Parallax scopes have a lot of adjustment under 100 yards but just a little as range increases over 100 yards. So, if your scope tests parallax error-free at 100 yards, it is going to work just fine for probably 95% of all hunting situations. But, if it shows a lot of parallax error at 100 yards, it is simply not going to shoot accurately and reliably.
GeoJAP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 08:52
I have decided that it is not worth me exchanging this scope for one which has higher magnification and parallax adjustment.  The sweet spot for your head position for this scope at 10x is actually pretty small, so I don't think Parallax will be a huge issue.  Thanks for the help.
luv2shoot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 19:30
For a hunting scope I think a  paralax adjustment is a pain in the rear and not necessary, when it comes to printing tiny groups on paper then in my opinion it is a must.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic