OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem VSF LH Arrived!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rem VSF LH Arrived!!
    Posted: February/28/2008 at 09:54
Finally my Rem700 VSF in 308Win has arrived. Today I held it in my grubby paws!
Unfortunately it will still be a while before I can bring her home. I am hoping though to shoot her in a weeks time and will keep you all posted. (The gunsmith is going on a weeks leave.)
My first impressions:
It is not a Sako or a Heym!(my other two rifles.)
The stock seems short on Length of Pull.
The recoil pad is a economy model.
The stock seems very light and feels like cardboard.
The rifle is barrel heavy, in other words not balanced, probably due to the light stock.
The bolt has no stop after you release the catch. It dropped straight out and onto my foot!

On the positive side the lines are clean and the overall finish appears good.

So the entire "good" or "bad" report is going to come down to how the baby shoots. And that I will not know for another 10 days or so.

I am allready scheming to put a better recoil pad on and to weigh the stock with lead or something, but time will tell.

Oh yeah, pictures!!!

The happy new owner:

The rifle:

Edited by 8shots - February/28/2008 at 09:57
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 10:11
Happy for you 8 shots, think you will be pleased with the rifles performance.

p.s. nice pictures of the rifle; reserving judgement of those of the owner!!
God save the Empire!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 10:14

Nice pic's of the fire stick.
She will be a shooter. the top pic is kinda scary.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 10:17
The rifle is barrel heavy, in other words not balanced, probably due to the light stock.
The bolt has no stop after you release the catch. It dropped straight out and onto my foot!

yup its a remington
congrats!!!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 10:26
Hey 8shots, congrats.  My VS is a .5 MOA rifle, I am sure you will enjoy that baby.  About the light stock.  If you take it off and put it in the freezer overnight then take a chisel and hammer and put the chisel right between the end of the stock and the plastic on the recoil pad, you can tap it and it will pop right off.  Then since the stock is hollow, you can mix up some lead shot and epoxy and add a pound or two to the rear of the rifle to help with balance.  I was going to do that with mine but ended up buying another stock. 
Glad you finally got it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 11:58
Congrats and good shooting!
take em!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 16:16
Big D,
your kinda putting it mildly aren't you?  LOL

Just ribbin' 8 us Lefties gotta stick together!!!  She'll be a shooter!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 18:04
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

yup its a remington
congrats!!!

Excellent          hee hee
luv2shoot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:05
Looks good, I bet she shoots pretty good.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 22:00
Wow 8shots.  That is some picture.  I keep forgetting it's there and it startles me each time I click on this thread.Big%20Smile
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 02:09
Thanks for all your well wishes. Now I still have to wait for my competency card. I have passed the finger print inspection. My application now lies with the Board for final approval. How long? Well, how long is a piece of string?
I also have to apply for a lic for the actual firearm. This the police will not process untill my competency appl has been approved.
But in the meantime I can take the rifle to the range, as long as the gunshop owner accompanies me. He will be back from leave in a weeks time, then we will try the rifle for accuracy.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 02:13
And my apolgies, I did not mean to scare anybody with that mugshot, but the smile was to good not to shareBig%20SmileBig%20GrinYippeeCheers
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 08:55
i think you will like it those fluted barrels look nice i like the one on my 700cdl, you can always get a replacement stock too.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 20:29
 The bolt is even on the correct side. You have great taste.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 09:35
To get the vuurwappen, you don't have to get a colonoscopy, do you?         Stare              
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 18:24
Good luck and congrats with the new stick, 8!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 18:56
Nice looking rifle, 8!  I'm sure it will be a shooter.  I'm glad your ordeal is nearing an end.  I hope you have many fine days afield with your rifle to make up for the pain and suffering you were forced to endure in getting it!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 01:46
Thanks, all of you. I did not get one Ed, but it sure feels like I did.
Once I have handled the rifle a bit I will see if I can live with it as is, or change the stock. Anyway, my wallet has to recover first. As a matter of interest, it cost me $2300 landed. Exactly double the price as advertised in USA.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 11:42
In this case..... I wouldn't recommend spending as much on the optics as you did for your rifle! Ouch   Geez....... I feel kind of bad about bitching about the prices here.

Edited by Tip69 - March/03/2008 at 11:44
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic