OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2nd plane big boys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd plane big boys
    Posted: November/21/2004 at 00:00
I know this topic has probably beaten to death but who out there has tried or been able to do a comparision from any of the 30mm BIG BOYS that have the reticle in the 2nd image plane?  How do the Black Diamond Mr. T's compare with the the big boys from across the pond.  Or how about the Leupold LPS?  Again, only scopes in the 2nd image plane, folks in Europe build fine optics but they still drive on the wrong side of the road!   I like the Burris or Swarovski because of the generous tube lengths they give you.

I'm rebarreling my broken 30/378 into a Lazzeroni 308 Warbird and I want to put some serious optics on it and will consider all scopes in the 30mm by 50mm range (I want 30 mm because I can set the 30mm by 50mm lower on the gun versus a 1 inch model of the same size).  I used to have Burris optics in the past but after shooting a couple times, had to send them back for internal cleaning!  Seems some dust would shake loose and stick to the lense on the inside.  Maybe that's corrected now.  Anybody care to comment?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2004 at 06:17

I found your post a little hard to follow. I like the wrong side of the road comment.

So, you want "serious" optics, but a RFP reticle, a 30mm tube and a 50mm obj?? Right??

Budget??

Reticle style? I assume duplex, since you don't like FFP reticles.

Give us more intel, friend...

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 01:15
Sorry about that cheaptrick!  Yeah, serious optics, don't care about the cost too much.  I've tried most of what's out there other than Zeiss.  Duplex style reticle is kind of where I'm leaning however I'll check out mil dot or ballistic plex too. 

BIG, BAD, optics is what I want to put on this gun when I get it back.   No more staring at world class sheep in the Wrangell's  with an under powered rifle and  "middle of the road optics"! 

I guess I'm looking real hard at the big 30mm scopes because I don't care about weight, price or brand name.  What I do care about is optical clarity, toughness (that's why I mentioned the Burris)  and precision adjustments.  I also need long tube length for that Weatherby Mark V action (I hate using extension rings if they stick over into the receiver area).

I wish I could lay all of them out there and give them a test in a failing light situation.  I know that's a real tall order so somebody at SWFA might have to jump in on this one!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 04:54
Zeiss Diavari
-30mm tube
-World class optics.
-German #4 reticle in the FFP
-Light weight

My personal favorite hunting scope has always been Schmidt and Bender. It will weigh a little more than the Diavari, but I like it better.

Good luck!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 13:11

the diavari is the ultimate hunting scope if you ask me, what will you be using this for... range?? game?? etc.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 17:29
redneckbmxer24,  'll be using this scope for range work (load development) and long range hunting. Are you talking about that new Zeiss Diavari 6-25x50 VM/V?  Also, has anyone ever checked out or used a Burris Titanium in a 4-16x50?  The big Swarovski's are in the running to.  I would like something with the side focus which would leave the Swarovski's out, but that's not really mandatory.  More importantly is the tube length or mounting surface, it needs to be fairly long!  Thanks for the opinions!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2004 at 19:27

It is my understanding that the Burris Titanium has nothing more to offer optically than does the Black Diamond which is a very nice scope but not quite to the level of the Zeiss VMV or Swarovski Professional Hunter.

Sounds like the Zeiss VMV 6-24x56 is the way to go for you as it has a side focus and plenty of tube.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic