OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Rifle Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rifle Options
    Posted: February/27/2008 at 18:52
Thanks to Chris, my Sample list Kahles KX 3.5-10X50 4A arrived via UPS today!  Finally!  Chris, it appears exactly as advertised.  Thank you.  Now all I need is a rifle to put it on.  No, I do not always do everthing in reverse.  Duh!  By the way, the reticle is even more impressive than I expected.  Even Focus would like it.  It will be ideal for early mornings and late in the day.  I promise not to tell the deer that is has a mechanical reticle.

I was going to mount it on my .270 Rem Pump, but that thing is about 37 years old, and the old VariXIII 2.5-8 is going on that one.  Looks good too.

So, now to the new rifle.  I am left handed, and therefore in my right mind, but it is still restrictive when it comes to bolt actions.  I would kill for that 7mm 08 X-Bolt that frankb is waiting for, but alas, no lefty being offered, at least not yet.  But I am looking for that  7mm 08 caliber, in a light weight model, that I can still hunt with, as well as stand hunt.  I already have an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker.  I suppose I could go to the Micro Hunter with the 20" barrel, but I wonder if that scope might look a little goofy with that short barrel? 

All Rems are too heavy....Where are you left handed Model 7 ?  Weatherby only available in .257 Weath. Mag...don't need the punishment.  Ruger Hawkeye is over 7 lbs.  The Tikka T3 is already set up with bases and rings for up to a  42MM scope, not 50mm.

Only other option that I know of is a Savage Accu-Trigger Stainless/Composite.  Before anyone thinks I have totally lost my mind, I hope you have actually looked at one of these.  Savage has always been a good shooter, just an ugly duckling in the looks department.  But this one looks pretty good to me.  thoughts?

Then again, I am not opposed to waiting to see if Browning comes out with that left hand X-Bolt next year?  Have at me folks!  The Squeezer might just butcher me. 

MOJO
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 19:46
You'll find Savage has a pretty good following here. I have 2, both Model 11.  1 in 22-250 in left hand no less and the other is a right hand .204.  Both are synthetic blued with accu-trigger. 

Been looking for a deer sized lefty for my 11 yr old son...... Rem is coming out with a 700 SPS youth in 7mm-08 and I can't wait to get one!  I too already have a scope for it!  We like the Tikkas...... can't the rings be changed?  My Son doesn't know he getting a 7mm-08... he wants a 30-06, but maybe later.
take em!
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 20:14

that 7mm 08 is one of the nicest calibers available.  Very little recoil, yet more than enough speed and energy for deer with a 140 grain bullet.  Not much else can compare to it.  You'd have to go to a .260 Rem or a 7x57 to get close.  Then down to a .257 Roberts or 25-06 Rem, which have lighter bullet weights.  Nothing against the 700 SPS, but look at the Browning Micro Hunter, that might fit him as well.

MOJO
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 21:02
Have to agree with Mojo, the 7mm-08 is a sweet shooting cartridge, selling some stuff now to buy a XboltBig%20Grin
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 21:06

I'm not up-to-date on the newer Remington offerings, but I would sure think you could find a Remington 700 in a left-handed Mountain Rifle-sort of thing. It wouldn't have to be much heavier than a Seven, and would be sized a bit more proportional to the scope.
 Not sure what's out there though, might want to consider going semi-custom?
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 21:13
Got the Rem Catalog right in front of me.  No left hander available in the mountain rifle.  Agree on proportionality issue.  See my comment on the Micro Hunter.  A Kimber would be really sweet, but as far as I know, they make NO left handers at all. 
MOJO
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 02:53
I own a Heym left hand. Really beautifull and accurate rifle. Just go to the Heym website and see what is available. Sako also makes left hand.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:06
Ummm.......good advice.......but, before going to the Heym website call your broker and sell about 1000 shares of AT&T.   Wink     --Ed
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:12
No....Birkshire Hathaway
MOJO
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:21
How about a nice custom job by Steve Heilman?   Boy Howdy!!!
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:30
you must be in the loan business.
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic