OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Careful with reloads!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Careful with reloads!!
    Posted: February/27/2008 at 18:25
Saw this afternoon "Guns & Ammo TV on the "Outdoor Channel".................They did a torture test on a new T/C Encore 300 Win.................Loaded up a 180 grainer with 51 gr. of Bullseye, secured the rifle on a bench and pulled the trigger with a long string!..............That rifle was history after that!. The slo-motion replay was great!.......Blew the hell out of it!!!.........................Watch them reloads!!!Reloader  
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 22:48
I still get nervous with new reloads.  Even though I've checked and  rechecked everything.  After a 45 minute drive to the range the other day, I realized that I forgot my safety glasses.  Should I drive all the way home, or should I just shoot...  I went home to retrieve the glasses.  Turns out I didn't need them.  Better safe than sorry, I guess.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 19:31
I also get a little nervous while developing new loads, just my nature.  One thing that I recommend is to bring a buddy with you to the range, just in case something terrible goes wrong you have someone there to help out, its hard to dial a cell phone when your vision is gone.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 19:34
these are all good points and i agree with them all! you can never be too careful thats for sure
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 19:58
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I also get a little nervous while developing new loads, just my nature.  One thing that I recommend is to bring a buddy with you to the range, just in case something terrible goes wrong you have someone there to help out, its hard to dial a cell phone when your vision is gone.

I thought you were going to say take a buddy with you to the range to let him fire the first shot. 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 20:29
Now thats a buddy, good thinking, I'll have to remember that.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 02:23
I also take a buddy along. Then I say ever so innocently: "Why don't you have the first shot?"
luv2shoot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 18:00
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Saw this afternoon "Guns & Ammo TV on the "Outdoor Channel".................They did a torture test on a new T/C Encore 300 Win.................Loaded up a 180 grainer with 51 gr. of Bullseye, secured the rifle on a bench and pulled the trigger with a long string!..............That rifle was history after that!. The slo-motion replay was great!.......Blew the hell out of it!!!.........................Watch them reloads!!!Reloader  

I saw thatShocked,  opened it like a can opener.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 00:49
I also saw that test. It made me wonder what would have happened to a bolt gun. Pretty sure it would have still been bad, but I would have liked to see it tested.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
niles coyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 02:31

I guess Im in the minority. Or I have just have been reloading to long.... never been nervious on firing my reloads, but then I start near the bottom of the load data and work up, watching for pressure signs along the way....

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 17:23
I'll second niles coyote. I start low and work up, checking for preasure all the way. If I get two different charge weights that are accurate with the same powder and bullit, I will stick with the lighter of the two loads even if both are well below maximum (remember I'm a cheapskate). I also don't change components without backing off 10% and starting over. I keep only the components I'm using on the bench, everything else is put up. I also saw the GUNS&AMMO video.
Oh, and on shooting glasses. I was shooting a beltfed MG at a shoot and was having trouble with the ammo (case head seperations and FTF) but I kept on going after I found a barrell that didn't give me problems. After a couple of hundred rds I thought I had another case head seperation and stuck case. I opened the gun up to pry the stuck case out with the proper tool. Then it happened, as soon as the tool pushed the round against the side of a hot barrel BOOM!!! The round cooked off and I got a face full of brass shrapnal. Luckally I was wearing shooting glases and it saved my sight. I had to pick brass out of my face but a doctor did not have to pick it out of my eyes. It was a LOOONG 10 minute drive home that day. Yeah it was a dumb mistake I made, but the glasses were cheap insurance!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic