OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Glock pistol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowlabs19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glock pistol
    Posted: February/26/2008 at 22:42
I have one of the older style glock 22 .40 caliber.  I have been looking at the lights/laser combo but I dont have the rails to mount this to.  Does anyone have any suggestions short of me buying a new pistol. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 22:52
You could get one of these.  http://www.crimsontrace.com/
Then just use a hand flashlight, there are a lot of advantages to using the harris or rogers technique over a weapon mounted light. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 23:09
I mounted a single weaver base on the forearm of my 870. Ground it just slightly to get the correct angle and my light works very well. Cost > $2.00. You may try that. Otherwise great excuse to get another pistol.Yippee   Religous cow where did all the smiles come from?Soap%20Box
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 09:11
Those Crimson things are pretty pricey!
take em!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 09:58
You can also look at the LaserMax

There is plenty of discussion over @GlockTalk on the product

This and the Crimson are the only two I know of and I think you are far better off with a rail mount. Which, for you, is a new gun.

Edited by tahqua - February/27/2008 at 10:01
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 00:09
+1 on the Crimson trace, and a hand held since you don't have a rail.  Just remember lasers don't take the place of staying on your front sight, they are a supplement in low light when you can't find your front sight.  And both hand held and mounted lights both have their advantages and disadvantages.  Situation dictates which one is used when and where.  Get both.  Here are the Crimson's for the Glocks.
 I'm a Glock, 1911 guy through and through, but if funds allow the Smith&Wesson M&P's are raising a lot of eyebrows.  Not to mention that the M&P's come with three different interchangable backstraps and Crimson trace has built there laser grips into a backstrap for the M&P's. See here.
http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/SmithWesson/LG660/tabid/245/Default.aspx Another plus is they all have a rails for your mounted light.

Edited by Mithran - February/28/2008 at 00:10
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 15:46
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Then just use a hand flashlight, there are a lot of advantages to using the harris or rogers technique over a weapon mounted light. 

Are you referring to Bill Roger's technique?  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 15:48
Yup, that is the one.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 15:57
I have a Glock 31 with a rail, but i stil went with a Cirmson Trace laser for it.  I might add a separate flashlight for it, but for a laser I prefer Crimson Trace design.

For a laser used in sighting, I want to grip the gun and have the laser dot ON.  I do not want to deal with any switches the activation of which requires additional training.  With a Crimson Trace system, no additional training is required on my part.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 15:58
Went through Bill Rogers advanced pistol shooting class a few years back. 
I thought I was a pretty fair pistolaro until I got there. Embarrased

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 16:02
Ya, it is amazing when you actually get to learn from experts in the field, you quickly learn that you don't even know what you don't know.

yellowlabs19 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowlabs19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 01:51
does anyone know where i can get the information on the bill rogers hand technique. the main reason that i wanted to get the rail mount is because i have some friends of mine in law enforcement and i go with them to a shooting range and we have an area where we can shoot and simulate making tatical entry since all of them are on the swat teams. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 05:31
Originally posted by yellowlabs19 yellowlabs19 wrote:

does anyone know where i can get the information on the bill rogers hand technique. the main reason that i wanted to get the rail mount is because i have some friends of mine in law enforcement and i go with them to a shooting range and we have an area where we can shoot and simulate making tatical entry since all of them are on the swat teams. 

I searched in vain to find a pic of the Rogers technique.
I'll have The Warden take a pic of me today using Bill's technique and post it here for you, if you like. 
I have an older Sure Fire 6P light that I use. I think that's what Bill used when I was there too.

Edited by cheaptrick - March/01/2008 at 06:35
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 08:54
rogers --one of many good techniques-- this may help

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 09:09
There is some good information here on both flash light techniques and the Crimson Trace Laser sight.

Note the modified FBI method. There is something to be said about not having the light directly in front of you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 16:05
Here's The Rogers technique. 

You hold the light in between your fingers like a syringe, and activate the light with the palm of your hand. Works well if you have long fingers, which I don't. 
I'm more comfortable using the Harris technique.   

Edited by cheaptrick - March/01/2008 at 16:05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic