OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6.5mm vs. 6.8 mm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freidasboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.5mm vs. 6.8 mm
    Posted: February/26/2008 at 22:35

Had to ask...... Pyro why do you have a problem with the .270 caliber?

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 06:41
I have not seen pyro699 aaround lately, but that is a good question to pose to him.  Send a pm to his box about this thread, so that when he comes around, he can answer it, otherwise, he might miss it.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 07:09
Pyro's computer is on sick-leave. He is still alive and well though.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 09:08
I think I remember him saying they are more limited as to the loads available and such. 

For me, I don't like the fact that you need different twist rate barrels to shoot like 100 grn bullets vs like 140 grn.  I shoot 125 grn and 180 grn out of my 30-06 with no problems, both shoot accurate with the same twist rate.
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 10:13
im a 6.5 fan because of the fact that the 6.5mm and 7mm offer you better choices for bullets an end result being better because of it. im a big fan of the .280 and the 30-06 and thats about it.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 10:35
Well, you're right , Pyro, the 270 does not have that big of a selection of bullet weights. But if you just stick to shooting deer and antelope and the occasional varmint once in a while, the 270 is a fine caliber. It is not as "versatile" as lots of other calibers. But it is very good at what it does. You just have to keep it in the deer-sheep category. Smile    --Ed
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 10:38
im not going say that the .270 is a bad caliber i wont, its proved itself very well over the years, im just not a fan of them thats all, plus think if o'connor had selected to use say a .284win, where would it be today??? he helped kill some mighty fine cartridges in his times.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 11:22
pyro has a good point, ( 2 of my main hunters are 270)  but if the gun selection, bullets and powders in gun legend days were what they are today--  pyro wouldn't like jacks 6.5/284
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 12:12
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

im not going say that the .270 is a bad caliber i wont, its proved itself very well over the years, im just not a fan of them thats all, plus think if o'connor had selected to use say a .284win, where would it be today??? he helped kill some mighty fine cartridges in his times.

I think in that case you would like the 270 just because it wasn't a common round, and you would have to have one to mess around with.  Big%20Smile
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 13:11

Jack O'Connor used all kinds of calibers in his lifetime...but he did favor the 270 for a lot of his hunting. I don't remember Jack being unduly unfair in his likes or dislikes.  The 284 Winchester didn't even come out until 1963, I think. Jack would have been 61 years old. What cartridges do you think he "killed" anyway? 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 14:45
I agree, Jack made the .270 what is today, if it weren't for him I dont believe it would be as popular as it is.  Now that Jack has gone to finer pastures the .270 is lossing ground to other calibers. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 10:44
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I think in that case you would like the 270 just because it wasn't a common round, and you would have to have one to mess around with.  Big%20Smile

you my friend make a damn fine point there, and you may be onto something with that statement!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 10:48
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Jack O'Connor used all kinds of calibers in his lifetime...but he did favor the 270 for a lot of his hunting. I don't remember Jack being unduly unfair in his likes or dislikes.  The 284 Winchester didn't even come out until 1963, I think. Jack would have been 61 years old. What cartridges do you think he "killed" anyway? 
maybe killed is a harse term, but really besides the famed .270 can you think of anything he pushed more?? i just think a lot of good stuff died pre maturely due to the .270 craze that jack started, look at elmer keith, he pushed for bigger and bigger and did it do as much good as what jack did with his writings of the .270??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 20:26
Hello, Pyro,

Things were a lot different in the old days. The editorial style of gun magazines was different 40 and 60 years ago. Back then the outdoor magazines were about hunting and hunting trips. Jack O'Connor wrote a monthly column in Outdoor Life for 35 years that covered everything from rifles and shotguns to reloading and what not. He also wrote about his own personal hunting trips elsewhere in the magazine, where the object of the article was the collecting of some trophy that Jack worked hard to get. In the article Jack naturally told the reader what he was shooting, whether it was a 30-06, or a 270 or a 300 Weatherby. He used the 270 a lot because he liked it. He killed everything he pointed it at.

Today, gun magazines are like consumer reports---it's all about the EQUIPMENT you're using. The actual shooting at the end of the article is almost an anti-climax. Nowadays the website address of the guide and outfitter is listed at the end of the article like a commercial on TV.

Jack O'Connor died thirty years ago. Nowadays everyone says that Jack "pushed" the 270. I don't think so. He simply USED it and he used it a lot over 50 years and because he was so influential, a lot of regular folks probably went out and bought one and discovered what Jack was talking about--that the 270 worked real good!  

I don't believe Jack O'Connor "pushed" anything. He simply wrote about the 270 a lot because he shot everything with it. He had fine things to say about many other cartridges, too. I remember reading Jack O'Connor for years as a teenager and I read most of his books, too. I don't remember Jack ever putting any cartridge down---maybe he said that he didn't think the world needed some new round---just like today--lots of writers don't see the need for brand new magnums of every shape and size duplicating what we already have. But, Jack O'Connor was so well respected by the general public that he INFLUENCED what hunters thought was good or bad. And he pretty much knew what he was talking about. I remember him DEFENDING the 270 when Elmer Keith would call it "nothing but a coyote cartridge". Jack once killed a grizzly with a 270 with one shot, stone dead!

Jack O'Connor had a profound effect on the readership of Outdoor Life because he was a very credible man who had a lot of hunting and shooting experience, and because he had his own style of writing. He was very down to earth and ordinary. In his writing style. In real life he had been a professor of journalism at the University of Arizona until 1943. Jack O'Connor also personally answered all of his mail that came in to Outdoor Life to him. He wrote thousands of personal letters to legions of his "fans". 

You ought to read some of his books, Pyro, and see if you think he was SELLING anything. His books are really informative and fun....although the information doesn't really go much beyond the introduction of the NEW 7mm Rem Mag ( which he took to Africa and shot a lot of stuff with!) 

I believe that Jack O'Connor thought the 280 Remington was a cool cartridge!

Wink       --Ed
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:04
Kudos to you Ed  I bought my first centerfire rifle, and it was a .270 in a Rem pump. 760.  In those days, the 742 semi auto could not handle the pressures of the .270, and it was not until later that Rem chambered it there.  Jack always did say that shot placement was the critical point.  He didn't take irresponsible shots using any caliber.
He was a man among men! 

MOJO
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:17
Bow              HA! HA!   (  " Kind words, Ethan....kind words"  ---Old Mose in THE SEARCHERS )           Bucky               
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:38
"The Duke" lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 21:42
i almost puked a few weeks ago when jim "dont call me dumbo" zumbo got to take jacks son on an antelope hunt in colorado and his son let jim shoot the famed 270 i bet jack rolled in his grave! there was only one thing ever wrong with the .280, and thats the .270, had the .280 come out first different story i think.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 22:48
Hey pyro....I saw that show!!!!  Shot the one on the hillside on the left, if I remember.  The only guy that was more anti .270 than you was Jim Carmichel! 
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 08:16
jim carmichel is a stud duck in my book. yeah that was the show.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic