OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your Dream Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windtalker07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Dream Rifle
    Posted: February/25/2008 at 08:29
Ok, you have $15,000 to build your "dream rifle" (we can all hope, can't we).  What action would you start with? What barrel would you choose? What stock?  The sky is the limit on this post.  If you already have your "Dream Rifle", then post pictures. 
This could get mighty interesting real fast
I'm not against stupid people; I just think we should remove all the warning labels and let the matter take care of itself.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 08:32
i'd have roger biesen build me a top shelf custom, i would us a pre 64 m70 action in a .264 win mag exhibition grade walnut and put a s&b scope on it, then i would have his daughter do a bunch of custom engraving on the floor plate.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 10:21
I'd like a nice take down rifle by say Empire.  Not thay I could not be talked into a Heym.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 11:04
Biesen or another custom builder would be fine, with exhibition grade Bastogne Walnut stock, 24lpi checkering, built on either a Mark V action or a Mauser 03 action, fully engraved, obviously everything would be trued and I would choose Schneider barrel, all chambered in a 300 Wby. Magnum.  The stock would have an ebony forend tip and probably a neidner cap on the grip.  Although, ebony or rosewood in both places would be fine.  The stock would be a nice satin oil finish in a monte carlo design.  I could consider gloss.  I would have to think about.  Thats too much money and too many options.  I would top it off with one of the best Zeiss scopes.

Edited by Dolphin - February/25/2008 at 11:04
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 14:04
Originally posted by windtalker07 windtalker07 wrote:

Ok, you have $15,000 to build your "dream rifle" (we can all hope, can't we).  What action would you start with? What barrel would you choose? What stock?  The sky is the limit on this post.  If you already have your "Dream Rifle", then post pictures. 
This could get mighty interesting real fast
......................................................I`d just get an "ED BROWN" custom for about 6K with scope, save the additional 9K and call it a day!!..............Nothing like taking a fine piece of custom furniture (rifle stock) into a harsh weather/terrain hunting enviornment and worry about scratching and a little warping. Because when that occurs (AND IT WILL), sooner or later, by accidentally dropping the rifle or otherwise, the teeth will start mashing and the swearing will begin!...................Furious   Grrrrr  Head%20Banger   Boo%20Hoo 
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 14:26
I 'd buy another Ruger M77 Compact (this time in .260 Rem) and a Leupold VXIII scope for just over $1100 and then spend the rest on some "dream" hunting/vacation trips I'd like to take.    (Or better yet, maybe I'd just forego the new gun alltogether and add an additional destination or animal to my itinerary.)

The memories, pictures, etc. from such trips would be far more valuable than owning a fancy gun.

Edited by lucznik - February/25/2008 at 14:28
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 14:47
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

I 'd buy another Ruger M77 Compact (this time in .260 Rem) and a Leupold VXIII scope for just over $1100 and then spend the rest on some "dream" hunting/vacation trips I'd like to take.    (Or better yet, maybe I'd just forego the new gun alltogether and add an additional destination or animal to my itinerary.)

The memories, pictures, etc. from such trips would be far more valuable than owning a fancy gun.
....................................There ya go! They got `em in the 260 Remy! Do a scout scope and a conventional scope.............You`ll still have enough for the dream vacation or hunting trip.Wink 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 17:19
Not me, I will stick with the dream rifle and take it on a hunt and use it like old Roy said you were suppose to do with his rifles.  So what it gets scuffed, its a tool and the marks are like memories.  My dad always used to say that I did not listen to my music on my expensive hi-fi, but listened to the equipment.  He was right and I have quit doing that and the same is with my rifles, I use them as a tool, but do not abuse them.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 17:49

DANG... if I had a $15K budget to spend on a custom rifle of my dreams, it would probably take me at least 2 months to decide on the components and specs.  There's just so much great stuff out there and so many truly good craftsmen who can put it all together into something truly remarkable!

I'd probably choose something like an Empire Mauser action... and one thing's for certain, it would have one SPOOKY nice piece of wood!  It would probably be topped with a S&B Zenith or Swaro Z6 scope.  After some tasteful engraving, I'd probably send the barreled action to Doug Turnbull for some of his tricky finishing because nobody knows how to finish steel like him!  Don't know who I'd have do the stockwork, as there are several that come to mind.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 17:57
That would depend on the kind of a rifle you want.

I do not like boomers, so I would probably build a nice light 6.5 Grendel boltgun on a CZ 527 or similar action and stock it with a Serengheti stock for weather resistance.  I would scope it with a Kahles CL 2-7x36 scope with 4a reticle.  As for the rest of the money, I'd spend it on a nice hunt.

ILya
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 18:04
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Not me, I will stick with the dream rifle and take it on a hunt and use it like old Roy said you were suppose to do with his rifles.  So what it gets scuffed, its a tool and the marks are like memories.  My dad always used to say that I did not listen to my music on my expensive hi-fi, but listened to the equipment.  He was right and I have quit doing that and the same is with my rifles, I use them as a tool, but do not abuse them.
....................................Not me! I wouldn`t look at scuffs as memories. That`s what cameras are for! I wouldn`t want to display a beautiful custom wood rifle with scratch or scuff marks on it! Drains from the beauty of it in the first place! Scratches and scuffs stand out to the eye and can overshadow the point of having a beautiful rifle!....Alot of the money in a custom rifle is in the wood! So why welcome or tolerate any scratches and scuffs?.............I`ll take a Hogue, laminate, synthetic, or fiberglass first and not worry about anything having to do with wood, ie; preservation maintainence, treating for harsh weather, spilling of solvents, etc..........But then again? There are always more wood stocks to replace the old one!Party   
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 18:08
Put some linseed oil on it, you knucklehead..... Bucky            HA!   Hammer%20Hit      hee hee  Laser%20Zap           Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing                  ( signed  300 S&W )
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 18:22
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Put some linseed oil on it, you knucklehead..... Bucky            HA!   Hammer%20Hit      hee hee  Laser%20Zap           Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing                  ( signed  300 S&W )
............................I don`t need to put anything on my stocks!!!..........You knucklehead!Mooner..........................Signed by 300 S&W??.BS%20Flag........I don`t think so!!! 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 18:45
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

............................I don`t need to put anything on my stocks!!!..........You knucklehead!Mooner..........................Signed by 300 S&W??.BS%20Flag........I don`t think so!!! 
..........................................Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing  Laugh%20Above
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 19:59
Bandito      "We don't got to show you any steenking linseed oil!"     HAHAHA!! Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
windtalker07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windtalker07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 21:28
Sry it took so long to respond to my own post(kind of a busy day).  I'm thinking I would split the money, use half of it to buy an Accuracy international in .338 LM and use the other half to build me a rifle that looks very similar to the Tenth Black King( Point of Impact- Steven Hunter-- Fantastic book, base of the movie Shooter).  I would then do like Lucznic said and use the remaining money to set up the trip of a lifetime. 

Awsome ideas so far, keep 'em coming.
I'm not against stupid people; I just think we should remove all the warning labels and let the matter take care of itself.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 11:55

Shoot....... I typed and erased this post 3 times!  Can't decide if I'd want a wall hanger or a shooter.  For a wall hanger, I'd want something with a lot of scroll work done by someone from Belgium!  One of the ole Browning craftsman....... maybe in a Big African caliber..... maybe a double.  For a shooter I'd want something small and easy to shoot..... like a .204/.222/.223.  At the most a .260.  I would want a Rem 700 or similar action with a laminate stock with stainless metal.  I would top it off with a nice Zeiss with a 40mm Objective or smaller.  Of course I would want it trued and all the other stuff to make it shoot awesome.  Above all, I'd want it to look like a hunting rifle!

take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 01:28
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 08:19
are you kidding me? why not spend the cheese and get the whitefeather??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 09:25
OK..... Not up on those guys..... what is it Cheap?
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic