OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millett Zoom Dot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millett Zoom Dot
    Posted: February/24/2008 at 19:39
Whats a good price on these
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 11:01
SWFA's price is a good price.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2008 at 09:20
I don't see how $370 for the sight and mount would be considered good.  This is not SWFA's fault.  I just think Millett priced it too close to the EO Tech.  I think we will see Millet knock $100 off by the end of the year, or work hard to prove it is better than EO Tech or Aimpoint.  EO Tech is $359. . .
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 06:47
Hello

nksmfamjp,  allow me to tell you why the ZOOM DOT is better sight than aimpoint:

1.   ZD has no wires to break,  AP has small wires that break under use.

2.   ZD has No glued LED,  AP has a LED that is glued in.   can come lose

3.   ZD has no inter tube to reduce your vision, come lose or lose zero

4.   ZD is tested to 2000+ g, it will hold up after being run over by a truck.

5.   ZD can go to 300 under water for extended time and not leak, the lenses are made like a rolex watch more pressure the tighter they get.

6.   ZR has no reostat to adjust the brighness, it does it automaticly to match the light conditions.  If you go from bright to dim it will adjust to match the light.  Note the smooth lines and no knobs sticking out of the sides of the unit.

7.   the ZD will hold zero, due to the design it cant change zero due to inpact less than distruction.

8. ZD will work from the range of the battery,  -40 to 150+ f 

9.  ZD is manufactured in Huntington Beach CA.  by an American company.  AP is not.

10.  There is no preceived paralax in the ZD,  AP has visible Paralax.

11.  ZD can be repaired in the field if electronics ever fails,  less than a min. you can replace the electronics, AP got to send it back. 

12, If you want the latest in design ZD, if you want 25 yr old tec AP.

I hope this explains some of the reasons the Zoom dot cost what it does.  its not low tech same as the other guys sight.   Try one,  we have military guys buying them with their own money because they feel the Zoom Dot is better.

Good shooting.

Steve

Millett sights.
Steve
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 16:26
Thanks Steve.  That is kind of what I was hoping to see somewhere.  I did a search and couldn't find this kind of detail.  Maybe I didn't take a deep enough dive!  Anyways, all that is appreciated, especially an American company being chosen.  That alone is worth an extra $50 to me!Big%20Grin  So I have a few questions back.

Can this sight be mounted to cowitness?  If so, do you know a QR mount which will do that?

Also, how can the sight know how bright I want the reticle?  I understand that the reticle auto adjusts, but can the user set the nominal brightness?

Last, why a dot?  I like the EO Tech or other circle-dot reticles much better.  Actually, I think the one in your DMS-1 is great! 
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 07:39
Hello

yes it can be co wittnessed, its 30mm in dia so any mount that works for other scopes of similar design.

We had to come up with the best compromise, so we made it to be bright enough for use on a bright snow covered area to dim enough to no effect your nV.

The reason of the dot is its one type of technolgy where as the eotec is different, using a laser.     The dms uses a glass reticle and is magnified.   we got apples and grapes here.

hope that helps.

Steve
Steve
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 19:50
HI

I am out of the CUSA but I hear there is a write up on the zoom dot in the NRA this month.  may answer some quesitons. 

Good shooting,

Steve
MIllett sights
Steve
Kent777 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 22:27
I purchased the Millet Zoom Dot from.............Bucky

Edited by cheaptrick - May/02/2008 at 02:26
Freedom is never free.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 23:30
See forum rules.

This forum is run by SWFA.  Please refrain from advertising SWFA's competitors.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 02:29

1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.

2.  No personal attacks.  If you think someone is an idiot, (chances are) everyone else does too.  No need to post it.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

4.  No religious discussions or politics unless it relates to guns, optics, and or shooting.

5.  PM stands for Private Message.  Do not share PM's without the consent of the sender.

6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

Hey Kent, let me know if you need any help understanding the forum rules.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kent777 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 07:11

Sorry.  My bad.

Freedom is never free.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 09:00
I appreciate Steve's enthusiasm for his product, but can any users chime in on this?

As an owner of EoTech and Aimpoint, how does it stack up?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 11:50
I've been beating one up for a few weeks now, and I sold my Aimpoint after I got the ZoomDot.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 13:54
Yea, but you are a weird dude, anyone else?  Anyone?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 14:04
Weird dude? Moi?  I resemble...pardon me, resent... that comment.

Anyhow, I like the simplicity of operation of the ZoomDot and variable dot size, hence my interest in it.  Also, I wrapped it in a piece of cloth to prevent scratching and spent a little while kicking it around the parking lot (literally kicking it around).  It held up fine, so as far as I am concerned, it is a keeper.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - May/18/2008 at 23:09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 20:28
Does the auto-intensity feature work as described?  I've found such features to be nice dreams but difficult to pull off well.  When in a dark place, sighting on an object in bright light, how does it respond?  And when in bright light sighting on a poorly lit target?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 21:30
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Does the auto-intensity feature work as described?  I've found such features to be nice dreams but difficult to pull off well.  When in a dark place, sighting on an object in bright light, how does it respond?  And when in bright light sighting on a poorly lit target?

It does suffer from that same weakness a little, but since I can increase the dot size to 10MOA, as necessary, it more than makes up for that.

ILya
sandman751 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 11:12
I rarely get a chance to post. But, the Millet Zoom Dot is a great scope. My boys and I only use equipment that we can trust our lives to when confronted by the elephant. I've had one mounted on my M4 for a while now in the sandbox and it has held up to some unbelievable s-it. It has taken an unbelievable beating. I got it because one of our shooters picked one up and I liked the dot magnification feature that was lacking in our Aimpoints.

I trust my life with it and still have it mounted on my M4. It has held up to the heat and even freezing temperatures in the mountains real good too. One of my buddies who's in the teams with USN has one and it has really stood up to saltwater immersions.  
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 13:18
I'm curious how these are about showing scatter to the front. Most point sights as well as most scopes with illuminated reticles have a tendency to give away their location in the dark due to at least a dull light emitting from the front of the sight/scope. It's an issue that's been highlighted in at least one writeup of the DMS-1. I'm not picking on Millett, it's common to most illuminated scopes including some very pricey ones.

A review of the competing CompM3 suggested using the optional "Killflash" to partly mask the scatter from that product. Do you have a similar solution? The usual work around seems to be turning the illumination down as low as possible to reduce the amount of light available to scatter. Since the ZD is not user adjustable do you have a work around?

Edit: What size rings does this require?

Edited by sholling - March/06/2009 at 14:30
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
jimmysw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmysw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 13:36
I am a newbie (my first posting) here, but a long time follower of opticstalk.com. There is some great info here and it’s been very helpful. 
I decided to buy a Millett zoom dot for my duty rifle based on some good reviews here and elsewhere.  However, I am new to a red dot sighting system and I have some questions concerning the zoom dot:
1) My zoom dot looks fuzzy/starry when I take it in a darkened room, but when I look outside or at a bright object, the dot looks crisp.  Any ideas?  I do were corrective lenses because of my astigmatism. 
2) I am thinking the photo cell may not be allowing the dot to dim enough?  How dim does it go for those who have one?  I thought the dot goes dim enough so that it wouldn’t interfere with NVGs? 
JD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic