OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How much longer ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 04:25
PS.................I`ve never lost any shot fiddling around with my variable!! I`m done fiddling before I take the shot, because I know the approx. ranges for the shots and the terrain ahead of time!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 06:15
Variables a FAD? They've been around as long as I've been hunting. I have never had a single lost animal due to scope variable. I can also say that there were a few that I would not have gotten were it not for the variable. A FAD????? HMMMMMM.................
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 08:11
Originally posted by Hammer1 Hammer1 wrote:

But one should not put themselves in temptation.

one shouldnt do stupid sh*t while chasing dangerous game either!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 08:22
they both have their place - i like a low power fixed in the deep woods.

i like a variable on longer shots over open fields and cutover's  -

If they would only make a 4x40 w/ a GOOD #4 reticle, i would switch out 75% of my guns.

good thread.

J

Hammer1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 09:04
A variable scope by its very nature has more parts and more moving parts than a fixed power scope.  Therefore it has more opportunities to have problems.

For dangerous game one should use open sights or a low power fixed scope like a 2 1/2 X or 3X (like the old Leupold).

Benchrest shooters try to eliminate every variable.  Think most of them use fixed power scopes like the Leupold 36X or 45X.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 09:12
My DGR has had a variable on it for years. No problems so far.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 09:13
well, you can't paint everyone w/ the same brush, hammer1 - I know lots of folks that say that 10x on a target scope is plenty out to 1000 yrds or more. In fact, most people on this forum would subscribe to this notion than not.

your opinions are noted and appreciated. Quality standards on newer decent scopes, rule
out the 'moving parts' theory though - they are durable as any fixed i have ever had, now-a-days.  This really only applies to a quality product though. For cheaper scopes, the moving parts theory would be correct, in my opinion.

your dangerous game assumption is a good one and probably very acceptable to most folks.

Your benchrest one will get some comments, though - as the higher power ranges you've mentioned lead to the "mirage-effect" more so than the lower power.  At least to MY own experience.

J
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 09:26
That has been my experience as well JB. Nothing worse than having a target appearing to be moving around, pr just flat out blurry and can't be focused on due to mirage.
10x as you say is just fine for 1000 yds. For most hunting and defensive, or offensive shooting applications. That is until the lights begin to dim. being able to turn down the power is a huge help when the lights start to go out. Thus the variable has an advantage.  

Cyborg
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 10:24
So Hammer how are you talking to all the African PHs?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Hammer1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 10:39
"The African PHs tell me that one of their biggest issues with hunters is that instead of shooting the trophy animal they play with their variable power scope setting while the animal escapes."

"So Hammer how are you talking to all the African PHs? "

Hope I didn't imply that I have talked to all the African PHs.  Don't think I or anyone else could claim that.  Have talked to many PHs during my trips to Africa.  To others during my visits to the Safari Club conventions.  To others via my relationship with Colonel Jeff Cooper when he was alive and active (four times graduate of old Gunsite and traveled with Cooper for a month in Africa during his Babamkulu Trek).

Again, would never claim to speak for the majority of PHs, but have talked to many about the common problems they find with American clients. 

Another problem they find is that too many Americans have spent too much time at the shooting bench and not enough of their preparation time in shooting from field positions.  Yes, many PHs use shooting sticks which provide a field rest, but many Americans have too little experience with snap shooting or shooting from other field positions. 

Am sure there are African PHs who can share a different story.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 10:52
There are any number of Americans that are only going over to hunt because they have the money to do so. Alot of these people probably aren't even familiar with which end is the muzzle. Put the fellas I hunt with out there, you'd see a definite change in the attitude towards American sportsmen. We don't have the money but we can shoot from any and all conceivable positions, and at some good long distances as well. We aren't rich bored yuppies with time and money to burn, we're hunters pure and simple. If life as we know it today were to cease, we'd survive.  

Cyborg
Hammer1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 11:05
Unfortunately, our category is the minority.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 11:08
It is indeed sad that we are so few. I guess that explains several other things that are going wrong as well.

Cyborg
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 11:22
The safe bet with my low powered variables is to carry them on a low setting. I find myself better prepared should a quick shot emerge.
I did have a fixed 4x on my .375 for several years and it did it's job, too. In fact that power is fine for any distance I will shoot with that gun. I preferred to have something that I could dial down close to 1x, though. I did remove that 4x once when a bear I shot ran into thick cover. The 1.1-4 and 1.5-5 scopes I have had on it since a very quick with both eyes.
I have three high quality 4x now and won't part with them. Getting back to these types of scopes versus variables, they aren't just a fad for me.
Ditto on practicing from field positions, guys. The bench is for checking the accuracy of your loads. Position shooting is practicing for the hunt.
BTW, welcome to O.T., Hammer

Doug

Edited by tahqua - February/25/2008 at 11:24
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 14:16
It wasn't that long ago, even in terms of firearms, that fixed power scopes were the standard.  My first scope was a Redfield 2 3/4X.  I still have it (40 years in my posession and it wasn't new when I got it) and it still is on one of my 30-30's, never fogs, and gets sighted in every 10 years or so.  The first variables were crap.  That's all changed now, and the 3-9X40 is standard and, if anything, fixed power scopes are a fad in most applications.  Everyone should use one every now and then though.  My FXIII 6X42 is a favorite of mine.  Simplicity is best sometimes.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 16:08
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

...................................... My FXIII 6X42 is a favorite of mine.  Simplicity is best sometimes.

So maybe the new hot thing will be a 6x42 with external adjustments!  If you think about it, with todays technology and manufacturing capabilities it might not be a bad idea.  All the lenses in the scope would be fixed in place and it would have no moving parts.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 16:43
Except for all that dirt that can get into your external adjustments during field use. 

There is a lot to be said about keeping tiny mechanics sealed.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 17:00

The competitive benchrest shooters would love to have a fixed 36X - 45X powered target scope with no internal moving parts whatsoever and use only external adjustments built into their mounts.  They are so obsessed with rock solid precision, many of the serious competitors commonly take their scopes apart and glue the erector tube in place so it cannot move.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 09:00

Maybe I should have said simplicity up to a point is best.  All external adjustments would be great on a target scope, but it seems like they'd be delicate and cumbersome.  I like indoor plumbing, too; at least in the winter Shocked

No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 09:41
chris, are teasing us w/ the 6x42 SS again?????Smoking
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic