OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How much longer ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much longer ?
    Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:06
How much longer will the current fad of variable power scopes last before every one returns to their senses and fixed-power scopes ?

Magazines used to run a once-per-year article comparing the 3-9X to the fixed 4X.  Don't recall a single article where the 4X lost the argument.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:15
FAD? Other than some crusty critters, I think you will find it to be industry standard.  Its what the market wants.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:15
never i hope, i myself like having options
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:26
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

never i hope, i myself like having options

Amen!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:39
Variable power scopes are not a fad and will never go away. A fixed 4x will cover most shots out to four hundred yards in day light. Where the 3-9x40, or better, stands out is in low light. At 7x this type of scope can make the difference between getting a shot and not. In heavy cover and low light all one has to do is try for a long shot. The 4x may let you see a small group of deer. The variable cranked up will let you pick the one you want.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:44
Originally posted by Hammer1 Hammer1 wrote:

How much longer will the current fad of variable power scopes last before every one returns to their senses and fixed-power scopes ?

Magazines used to run a once-per-year article comparing the 3-9X to the fixed 4X.  Don't recall a single article where the 4X lost the argument.

My sense of these things puts my best estimate at right around 12,000 years...  

Fixed powers have a place, but variables have a lot more places.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 18:16
I hope it takes forever, it would suck having to have to choose one power and be stuck with it when you needed something else.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 18:25
My first rifle was a Win. Model 70 in 30-06 and I topped it off with a Weaver wideview 4x32.  I was never more amazed than the day I put the 3-12X40 on it! 
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 18:33
Well, Hammer, since variable power scopes have been with us for several decades now, I would hardly call it a "current fad."  Variable scopes will be with us from now on, as long as rifle scopes themselves exist.  For every fixed power scope sold, there are probably 50 variables sold, if not more.  Both fixed power and variable scopes have their place. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 19:17
Good conversation starter-- I think 4x will become very popular on small light semi auto carbines. such sights as the ACOG which took the concept one step further are just the start. uso sn12 (I think) is another good example.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 20:48
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

My sense of these things puts my best estimate at right around 12,000 years...  

Fixed powers have a place, but variables have a lot more places.

12,000 years...  good one Ronk.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 20:57
Fixed=compromise. More to follow, but that sums it up. 

Roy
Hammer1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 21:45
The African PHs tell me that one of their biggest issues with hunters is that instead of shooting the trophy animal they play with their variable power scope setting while the animal escapes.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 21:47
Not the scopes fault on that one. Operator error.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Not the scopes fault on that one. Operator error.

That's for damn sure. To blame the scope is a cop out.

Welcome back, Roy.
You have been missed!

Doug
Black Squirrel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 23:01
I like fixed. Preferably 3x or 4x. Fixed 6x or 10x for precision or longer range shooting. The kind of shooting done from a bench or prone only.

To my eyes, fixed scopes are clearer than variables when comparing apples to apples. Ex. fixed Leupold FX-II vs variable Leupold VX-II etc, IOR, Nikon, so forth and so on. Variables get better and more precise the higher end you go. Too many low to mid-range quality variables change point of impact from 3x to 9x. A consequence of more moving parts, which also effects clarity.

I can do 99% of what I need with a 4x.

The domination of fixed magnification scopes in combat optics vindicates them as the ultimate in practical. The old timers knew something...

Hammer1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 23:01
But one should not put themselves in temptation.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 23:09
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Good conversation starter-- I think 4x will become very popular on small light semi auto carbines. such sights as the ACOG which took the concept one step further are just the start. uso sn12 (I think) is another good example.

I do not know about sn12, Dale.  It is a great scope, but a bit too heavy.  I think that you are right about the utility of such scopes on small light carbines, but I think that very light 3x and 4x scopes will dominate this segment, not scopes like sn12.

A good example is probably the Compact ACOG that I played with at SHOT.  They had a new version of some sort that was 3x and had close to 4" of eye relief, if memory serves me right.

I thought it was an awesome little scope.

Also, IOR's 3x25 will soon be available without that built in mount that adds so much weight.

ILya
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 03:21

The African PHs tell me that one of their biggest issues with hunters is that instead of shooting the trophy animal they play with their variable power scope setting while the animal escapes.

Yes, I am afraid this happens to even the most experienced hunter. I missed a nice kudu bull last year for the same reason. The bull was at about 200yds and my scope set on 10X. Before I could shoot he took fright and ran straight to me. I never cranked the variable down. When I looked again my FOV was so small I could not track the bull. That was the chance he needed and he jumped a fence and was gone for ever. Never even pulled a shot off.
But lots of others never got away because I had a variable and did dial in the correct magnification!!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 04:22

..............................Guess what Hammer1!!..................Prepare to get "hammered"!!....................Variable scopes??? A CURRENT fad????...............Sniff! Sniff! Must be something in the air you`re breathin!!...........I guess I became involved in the "CURRENT" fad about 40 years ago with my first variable!.....Return to senses???Surely you must have been referring to yourself???!!!LocoLocoLocoLocoLoco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic