OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

22 Hornet whats a good load???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfield63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22 Hornet whats a good load???
    Posted: February/24/2008 at 14:17
.well my brother is my re-loader he has fixed me up about 40 rounds of the 22Hornet
i will have to check on his specs he used,but my Question???what has any-one used
that realy produced tack driving results???thanks for any info,P.S we never soup up a
load,we stick with normal loadsBig%20Grin
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:18
is this a plane old 22 hornet, or is it a 22k hornet?? there is a difference. in my grand dads k hornet we used imr 4198 like 10-11gr and a 45gr bullet.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 20:15
tack driver in a 22-hornet doesn't usually happen because the case headspaces on the rim. but you can get really good results by only partially resizing 12.5 grs. of 296 and 40 gr v-max , if they will fit into your magazine.

Edited by Dale Clifford - February/24/2008 at 20:16
niles coyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 01:44
Ive been doing well with little gun and 35 grain v-max and small pistol primers. If I use rilfe primers the accuracy isnt there.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:09
Dale is correct, the 22 Hornet, while a very good varmint cartridge at relatively short distances as compared to the long shooters, is not usually a tack driver per se.  In my Savage model 40 with Hornady factory ammo at 100 yards, I can get 1 inch or slightly less groups.  However, I have had very good luck hand loading using VVN110 9.5 grains with Nosler BTs 40 grains, Winchester brass and Magtech small rifle primers.  They were loaded using the stoney point gauge and shot slightly better than factory ammo.  The COL was longer than SAAMI specs, but was measured over and over with the gauge for my rifle and shot fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic