OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best fixed power for prairie dogs ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 17:39
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

pd was regular fare for several indian tribes (probably a rumour) in the early days. pd eat each other, they are cannabalistic,-- diseases avaliable are tuleremia, strep, staph, plague, to name a few

Monkey pox as well...

... And that plague part... Yep. 
Bubonic Plague.
As in the Black Death of Midieval Europe...       Dead

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2008 at 17:52
I think they are so adorable, especially when they have blew eyes, you know one blew this way and the other blew that way when you shot it......WOW
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 01:57
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

pd was regular fare for several indian tribes (probably a rumour) in the early days. pd eat each other, they are cannabalistic,-- diseases avaliable are tuleremia, strep, staph, plague, to name a few
   True, but they only eat their dead. Nobody knows why either.
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 02:01

Originally posted by meat head meat head wrote:

can u eat a prarie dog i never herd of anbodey say if u can an if u can what dose it taste like?

Laugh%20Above
I'm sure you can technically eat anything, but I wouldn't recommend it, as they carry diseases.  Just guessing, I'd say they taste just like chicken.Wink
    I hereby nominate RifleDude to be the official taste tester! All those in faver say I! 
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 02:01
 I.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 02:02
I.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 02:16
Originally posted by Hammer1 Hammer1 wrote:

What is the best fixed power magnification for prairie dogs ?

See used Leupold Mark 4 scopes in 10X and 16X.

Man!  this could be a real stress induesing topic. However, I'll give you my own personal experience.  I shoot at several thousand every year back home, & I only use a variable power scope, as I shoot from around 100 to 500 yds.  That being said, I have my relatives from  Ohio come out to shoot with me during the summer, and both my father inlaw & my brother inlaw shoot fixed 12X Leupolds with much success!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by yellowdog yellowdog wrote:

can u eat a prarie dog i never herd of anbodey say if u can an if u can what dose it taste like?

Laugh%20Above
I'm sure you can technically eat anything, but I wouldn't recommend it, as they carry diseases.  Just guessing, I'd say they taste just like chicken.Wink
    I hereby nominate RifleDude to be the official taste tester! All those in faver say I! 

That's kinda like being tarred and feathered... if it weren't for the honor of it all, I'd just as soon pass that mantle on to someone else!

I do quite enjoy "preparing" that little dish for the local predators to dine on, though!Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 19:48
I do quite enjoy "preparing" that little dish for the local predators to dine on, though!Wink
[/QUOTE]

That's really a great example of what  "being kind to animals" is all about, isn't it ,Ted?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2008 at 20:52
East Texas Prairie Dog menu....

prairie dawg stew with okra and black eyed peas..........and watermelon......Laugh
hk91 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hk91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 21:14
Old post, but I thought I would throw in my two cents worth.

I have a Leopold 24X on my 22-250 and a old Bushnell Banner fixed 10X on my .223 bolt gun.  I usually take both rifles with me and use the .223 out to 200 - 250 yards and the 22-250 for the farther shots.  I think the 10X is much more versatile out to 300 yards.  Beyond that the crosshairs are too coarse (duplex reticle).  My 24X Leopold has the fine crosshair.  Mirage and the very narrow field of view on the 24X take some getting used to.

Good luck,

KELLY
HK91

Kelly
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 06:05

I use a 4.5-14, and many times end up in the 10-12x range. If I had to have a fixed power, I would try to keep it around here. It kind of depends on the ranges you shoot at, and how bad mirage is in your area. Mirage can be pretty bad by mid morning here, and the power starts to go down pretty quickly. I have a 6-18x on another, and it rarely sees over about 14x, even in the morning.

Edited by trigger29 - September/28/2008 at 06:06

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
hk91 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hk91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 22:29
When I was a kid living in Wyoming before I joined the US Air Force, I wore out two barrels, one on a 22-250 with a 24X Leopold and one on a 223 with a 10X Bushnell.  I liked them both, but the 24X was harder to find the prairie dogs or other varmints, especially if they were moving.  Several times during calving season I popped coyotes that were stalking newborn calves and the 10X 223 worked great from running shots.  So I would recommend something in the range of a 10 to 15 power scope.

Kelly    
HK91

Kelly
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 15:40

I have used 24x gold ring leupold (old style m8 style) have used 12x swarovski (older style) have used 16x leupold gold ring  (old style m8) and a REDFIELD fine crosshairs 6-18...

Used on 22-250, 243win, 22-250, .223rem respectively.

I enjoyed the variable the best but as a close second the 16x flipped the bill the best 400yrds was the minimal engagement distance 800yrds was the furtherst (tons of hold over made for hard time with 12x...

No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2009 at 11:59
WHAT DID YOU CHOOSE???
No one
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2009 at 19:48
I would like to know too.

Missed this post the first time around because I hadn't signed onto OT yet, but when I do use a variable for PD shooting (which is most of the time) it generally ends up set around 12x. This is also the experience of a number of my PD-shooting buddies. Apparently 12x is about the right compromise between FOV and magnification.

But have also shot the heck out of them with everything from iron-sighted handguns and black-powder cartridges rifles to, well, you don't want to know.

As for eating PD's, as my wife (the professional game cook) says: "There are too many pronghorn, deer and elk in Montana to eat rodents."

Especially rodents that might have plague!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2009 at 21:47
That's one SMART Lady there...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 17:50
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Missed this post the first time around because I hadn't signed onto OT yet, but when I do use a variable for PD shooting (which is most of the time) it generally ends up set around 12x. This is also the experience of a number of my PD-shooting buddies. Apparently 12x is about the right compromise between FOV and magnification.

Me too!  My scopes generally stay set on 10 - 14X when I shoot prairie rats for the exact reason you state.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 18:23
That is exactly why I went to the Redfield widefields...
No one
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 20:49

If it moves its food.
Kind of a cross between spotted owl and whooping crane.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic