OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotter for glasses wearer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotter for glasses wearer
    Posted: February/24/2008 at 12:16
I need a spotter for target shooting (200 yds max) and general viewing.  I don't think I'd ever need over 30X.  I wear glasses and have a hard time seeing through most spotters because of the short eye relief.  I've found that 18mm is about the minimum I can use comfortably.  I'll spend $600 or so.  Rather than try and search through all the specs, I tlhought maybe somebody was using something they could recommend.  Thanks!
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 18:06
To meet your requirements you probably should look to models with fixed eyepieces.  The ones that come to mind initially are:
  • Nikon ED50 (body only) and then pick up the 27x fixed eyepiece.  (This might be a little over your stated budget.)
  • Pentax PF65 (or PF 65 II) coupled an XW eyepiece (or with any other standard 1.25" eyepiece on the market.)  You could even do this one in stages; buying the body and an inexpensive eyepiece first and then upgrading the eyepiece when it's feasible for your budget.

Edited by lucznik - February/24/2008 at 18:07
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 07:18
The 66 mm Kowa scopes, with a 25x LER (long eye relief) eyepiece (over 30 mm of eyerelief). About $700. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 17:18
I'd take a good look at Pentax PF65ED spotters with one of their excellent fixed magnification eyepieces.

ILya
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 10:13

How about something a bit less than 600?  For another glasses wearer.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 10:17
I pretty much decided that if I was going to get anything less than $600 I was going to have to take my glasses off to use it, especially over 20X.  Maybe somebody else has seen something that will work.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2008 at 13:27
You should still be able to swing the Pentax PF65 body and a fixed mag eyepiece for ~$600. 

Bushnell recently came out with a new Excursion spotting scope.  It's a folded light path scope similar to the Leupold Gold Ring. It costs $320 for the 15-45x60 and $400 for the 20-60x80. No one I know has seen it yet (it's too new) but it incorporates ED glass and has super-long eye relief.  It would at least be worth looking at. 
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 21:36
just ordered vixen geoma 67A with ghl48t eyepiece.   That set me back about 300.00.

From what I am hearing, the geoma for 300.00 probably should NOT have included the eyepiece.  I think the vendor made a mistake when they included the eyepiece.

I am not complaining as I have not found the eyepiece for under 200.00.  Looks like I got a bargain.

Edited by army_eod - March/15/2008 at 13:10
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic