New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Calling your rifle a "sniper" rifle.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Calling your rifle a "sniper" rifle.

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options Page  1 2 3>
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 11:58
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Is anyone else tired of these internet forums bashing each other because someone called their rifle a sniper rifle?  Personally, I am sick of it.  Here is what I have come to conclude:
 
1)  If you are going to post an answer to a topic, research it.  I am so tired of people just posting what they feel.  What happened to the informed person, the one who actually took the time to research a topic and not just post something because thats what the vast majority said.
 
2)  Being PC about rifle terms is ignorant.  I don't care what you call it.  Call it a sniper rifle, a hunting rifle, a target rifle, or a precision rifle.  The fact is, if you are at the range and a person sees your rifle, it doesn't matter what you tell the it is called, to them it looks like a "sniper rifle."
 
3)  I did look up the definitions on the internet through various dictionaries.  Here are the definitions:
 

Definitions of sniper rifle on the Web:

  • an extremely powerful rifle developed for the military; capable of destroying light armored vehicles and aircraft more than a mile away
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

  • In military and law enforcement terminology, a sniper rifle is a rifle used to ensure accurate placement of bullets at longer ranges than small arms. A typical sniper rifle is built for optimal levels of accuracy, fitted with a telescopic sight and chambered for a military centerfire cartridge. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_rifle

  • A long-range rifle, usually equipped with a telescopic sight and often a night-vision device
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sniper_rifle

  • is a type of rifle used for engaging in the act of sniping, most purely a rifle used for shooting with great accuracy over long distances. ...
    gunshowo.startlogic.com/page16.html

So, with that being said, only the 1st definition says it is for military purposes only.  All of the other definitions state that if I have a .30-06 with a long-range optic on it.  It can be called a sniper rifle.

 
I'm sure I will have a lot of opinions on this topic, but this is my main point:
Call your rifle whatever you want to.  Don't listen to people that say: If you call your rifle a sniper rifle, it scares the public.
 
If the public are scared, they can move to another country.
 
The government will never take our guns away, because "We the People..."  can rise up against them just like before.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 13:04
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: November/25/2007
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Points: 5389
Excellent
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 13:30
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12709
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 13:48
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar

Joined: January/19/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7694
I would contend that google is not research, but mostly agree with your post.


In "those" communities, a sniper rifle is a rifle issued to a sniper.  Or a rifle with the word "sniper" in the name, like a PSS.

It is more an issue of usage than it is of nomenclature.

And, in my limited experience, I've run into more than a few shooters with "sniper rifles" who couldn't shoot well to save their lives, literally.

In this world of mall ninjas and gun range snipers, call it whatever the hell you wish, but don't anticipate respect or magical shooting abilities because yours is a "sniper rifle."
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 14:10
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
I agree with you Rancid Coolaid.
 
Just because you have a rifle that could be sniper class, doesn't mean you can shoot it accurately.
 
Would I ever refer to my rifle as a sniper rifle: sure why not, I can shoot long distance with a scope.
Would I ever call myself a sniper: sure I can hit a target at extended distances.
Would I ever call myself a military or police sniper: No, I haven't attended the schools required and I don't shoot human targets or enemy equipment.
 
So, I agree, call it what you want to, but mainly, have fun.  There's no reason to argue with terminology technicalities, because if it is respect that you seek from military / police snipers...then join up and go to sniper school.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 14:44
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
Avatar
ICK, Ed's BOY

Joined: October/08/2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 817
My sniper rifle......
 
 
In all seriousness..... I would call this (below) a long-range rifle.  "Sniper Rifle" seems to indicate some kind of "usage" of the rifle that I don't deserve to utilize.  I think some of the resources suggest the FNAR makes a good "police sniper rifle", but I wouldn't even say that at a range.
 
 
It has been my experience that a lot of guys that served this role in the armed forces get irritated with guys like me that thow terminilogy around.  Perhaps this is what happens most often?  Less of a definition thing and more of a "that is NOT what you are" kind of thing?


Edited by Ick - October/19/2009 at 14:44
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:04
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20471
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

The government will never take our guns away, because "We the People..."  can rise up against them just like before.
 
I agreed with your post until I got to here.
"WE the people" don't have the fortitude any more to rise up against THE MAN. 
Sure sounds good though, don't it?   
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:05
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight


Joined: July/04/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5087
ahh were did the language go?? apostrophe s, 's -- belonging to
 
I like my definition --- a gun used because they didn't want to fight the guy with a knife.
 
perhaps a definition by exclusion-- a sniper rifle because,--- its too heavy for hunting, costs to much,not accurate enough for BR, can't be used in skeet,trap or shotgun sports, too long to carry for a handgun, isn't really practical for anything-- whats left yup snipers rifle. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:07
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Yes, but terminology is just what it is.  Just a word.  That is why I say if you want to call it that, do it.  Because like I said: " Would I ever call myself a military or police sniper: No, I haven't attended the schools required and I don't shoot human targets or enemy equipment"
 
Also, "A sniper is usually a highly trained marksman that shoots targets from concealed positions or distances exceeding the capabilities of regular personnel"
 
In that regard, the military has invested numerous hours, rounds, time, etc...in training myyself and any other member of the military.  So, in that sense, I could be called a "sniper" because I can shoot at distances that most cannot.  But, I don't call myself a sniper. 
 
I'm just a guy that can shoot a long distance accurately.  Wink
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:18
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Cheaptrick, although it clearly states: "...— That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
 
I would have to agree with you.  We the people have grown accustom to the abuse of out government and IMO will never have the balls to stand up to them like we used to.
 
And nice one Dale....LMAO
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:25
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight


Joined: July/04/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5087

its an ownership thing, sometimes groups of "people" think they own something, so other people must adhere to their sheet of music. the myth of fingerprints. -- Look how long the British Empire got away with it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:26
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight


Joined: July/04/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5087
by the way, bipods work extremely well on T/C pistols for pd sniping.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:31
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Couldn't agree with you more.
 
I feel that today, no one truly says what they want anymore.  It's all about what is PC now and I for one can't stand it.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:42
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: November/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2291
To lable any firearm displays an intent.  I get disgusted with some of the people who call everything a "weapon."  The gun banners have already made anything that is not a Satruday night special, Street Sweeper, or Assault weapon then by default a Sniper Rifle.  As I understand  your statements  you seem to agree with thier "cheaping of the brand."
 
Lets go back to your question.  The only thing that really makes something a sniper rifle is the intent of it's use or the person behind it and thier  personal intent.  Down the road form me they make real sniper rifles with real NSN's, for real snipers.  I just don't see putting a black plastic stock on a rifle and a scope with too many knobs, dials and complicated  reticle making something a "sniper" rifle anymore than putting candle in a cow pie makes it a birthday cake.
 
 Most of this other stuff, is just wantabe stuff.  I am borded with all the wantabe's  If somebody want to plink or play games at long range them more power to them. I don't have a problem with gun bling, but a little can go a long way.  I feel the same way about my friends who "cowboy" shoot.  They ain't got a horse or cattle, but they got a gun and a belt buckel... What makes them a cowboy? 
 
I guess I just don't like to live in a vivid fantasy world.  If you want to live in such fantasy world, it's a free country...  Just make sure you know the differance between fantasy and fact.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:00
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66

I disagree.  The people that want to ban weapons, yourself, and others like you, are the ones that believe that a label <---- that's the ways it's spelled by-the-way - determines a weapons use.  And yes, any firearm, knife, wooden sticks, rock, etc... - Depending on its use - is considered a weapon.  That's just a fact.  You, throwing the term NSN out there, should know this.

 

As to 'what makes a weapon a sniper rifle' - read my previous posts.  I explain various definitions pertaining to this.

 

 

There is a difference between a sniper rifle and a sniper's rifle:

Let me put it to you this way.  If a police/military sniper was told to choose the weapon of his choice, and he bought a REM 700, then a custom stock, optics, trigger, barrel, etc...  Would this not be a sniper's rifle?

Now take any Joe blow from the street and tell him to buy that exact same rifle with the exact same modifications.  Would it not be a sniper rifle?

 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:02
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20471
Thank you VERY much for your service!! 
Salute 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:03
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
Avatar
ICK, Ed's BOY

Joined: October/08/2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 817
Personally I am impressed with our soldiers and the effeciency with which some operate rifles.  Perhaps that is where my desire for collection comes from.  Immitation is the highest form of flattery you know..... and directly responsible for the popularity of military shooting games if you ask me.  People care about and respect our soldiers (I do) and I think it shows in things like that.
 
For the most part, I avoid these kinds of terms and call it what it is.  I don't call it a sniper rifle, assault weapon.... or even "black rifle".
 
I usually call it by designation and number.  People with no clue cant understand that though.  They just give a blank stare.  To tell you the truth I think the non-firearms public sees them as "guns you should not be able to own" and "guns the law should allow".
 
Unfortunately that line is all over the place depending on who you talk to.
 
"you should not be allowed to own a sniper rifle, an assault weapon, blah, blah, blah."
 
The slang terms are the club they beat us over the head with.  Hence why I try and use desigations and not their "shortcut" terms.  "Its a what?  A FNAR?  let me see it.  Oh, it is a sniper rifle.  You shouldn't be allowed to own that."


Edited by Ick - October/19/2009 at 16:06
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:12
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar
Scope Swapper

Joined: October/17/2009
Location: STATESIDE
Status: Offline
Points: 2455
I just pissed someone off about calling their collection "tactical" really making a joke about the French that he never cought on to it because I hate the use of the word tactical or sniper when addressing a benchrest rifle...To those who have learned and earned and understand what type of weaponry is considered "sniper" and what other weaponry falls under "tactical" the difference is huge... Its not that I don't like the misuse of the word Its just that I don't like the misuse of the concepts... I do not ever remember seeing a shotgun in the hands of a "sniper"...I have seen a slug drop someone at 200yrds but never once did I hear "sniper confirmed kill...sector ****..."


a abuse of the word is not what gets me it is the trash talk that accompanies...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:13
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Thank you for your appreciation cheaptrick and Ick.
 
When asked what my rifle is, I tell them:  "It's a Winchester Model 70 .30-06"
 
As far as the people that don't think we should own these weapons, it is because of people like us that do, that they are even allowed to express that.  (Did that make any sense)
 
As far as us (military), we have to be able to shoot out to 300 meters with iron sights.  While at the same time, we are timed in this event.
 
Here is the typical layout when shooting:
20 rounds from the prone supported
10 rounds from the prone unsupported
10 rounds from the kneeling position - which is quite difficult for some people 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:47
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar

Joined: January/19/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7694
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

Would I ever call myself a sniper: sure I can hit a target at extended distances.


Check your fire.


That game has been played here before (and elsewhere across our great land) and it never ends well.

Anyone can hide behind arguments over semantics, but all those who earned the title worked very hard to get it.  Taking it, without earning it, all based on semantics: it's not the path I'd want to take.

Carry on with this thread that has rambled far beyond what I thought it would.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:49
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar

Joined: January/19/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7694
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

Thank you for your appreciation cheaptrick and Ick.
 
When asked what my rifle is, I tell them:  "It's a Winchester Model 70 .30-06"
 
As far as the people that don't think we should own these weapons, it is because of people like us that do, that they are even allowed to express that.  (Did that make any sense)
 
As far as us (military), we have to be able to shoot out to 300 meters with iron sights.  While at the same time, we are timed in this event.
 
Here is the typical layout when shooting:
20 rounds from the prone supported
10 rounds from the prone unsupported
10 rounds from the kneeling position - which is quite difficult for some people 


And you POGs that qual once every year or every other year, good for you.  A REMF is a REMF, nothing to be ashamed of, they are as necessary as the grunts on the front line, but seldom the two shall mix.

300 meters is not, in military ease, "extended range."
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:53
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

Would I ever call myself a military or police sniper: No, I haven't attended the schools required and I don't shoot human targets or enemy equipment.
 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:54
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
Good for you Rancid.  You can catch a bullet faster than others.  Great work.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:57
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18337
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

Thank you for your appreciation cheaptrick and Ick.
 
When asked what my rifle is, I tell them:  "It's a Winchester Model 70 .30-06"
 
As far as the people that don't think we should own these weapons, it is because of people like us that do, that they are even allowed to express that.  (Did that make any sense)
 
As far as us (military), we have to be able to shoot out to 300 meters with iron sights.  While at the same time, we are timed in this event.
 
Here is the typical layout when shooting:
20 rounds from the prone supported
10 rounds from the prone unsupported
10 rounds from the kneeling position - which is quite difficult for some people 
"40 ROUNDS..."
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 17:02
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: October/16/2009
Location: Afghanistan
Status: Offline
Points: 66
HOOAH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  1 2 3>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Calling your rifle a "sniper" rifle."
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Why I own "beanfield rifles" trigger29 Firearms 8
Friend's "new" rifle bugsNbows Firearms 21
16" Bull Barrel rifle mil169 Firearms For Sale 13
scope for 18.5" mountain rifle tripletwoee Rifle Scopes 22
Know a scope with "narrow" "turret base"??? leakycow Rifle Scopes 1
Grouping of "good load" vs "bad load" robbie Shooting 21
Is "right" always "right"? Chris Farris Rifle Scopes 4 3/6/2006 10:13:56 AM
To "AO" or not to "AO" (parallex) kerank Rimfire / Airgun 2 12/27/2006 11:20:30 AM
POLL: Photo Contest #24 "Signs" Skylar McMahon Hot Shots 0
Another "which scope" thread GunsIsFuns Rifle Scopes 7


This page was generated in 0.520 seconds.